Author Topic: rumor: tour in arenas and different set lists  (Read 13913 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: rumor: tour in arenas and different set lists
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wrong again dude,lovetown tour in 89  had multiple setlists ,and they do have the chops for it,usually they have 60 songs rehearsed before a tour and can drop any of those songs in at a moment's notice.90% of people will only see one show during a tour so changing setlists is not top of the agenda,most bands play mainly the same setlists most nights as they can nail the tunes and the gig sounds more focused ,unless your Bruce Springsteen in which case a lot of gig goers can be left scratching their heads wondering why they played 100euros to hear some obselete set consisting of album fillers and b sides.

Are you following my posts just to disagree with me? Aw, I think somebody has a crush on meeeeeee <3

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »
I kind of like the idea of taking requests via the Internet or Twitter or some other means, but it would have to be done before the show and not during. No one -- least of all Bono -- wants to look up and see 20,000 people using their cell phones, unless he has made his 'Milky Way' request.

REM did something like this in 2003, but with them it was wide open. I could see U2 asking fans to pick 3 or 4 from a list of 10, as someone earlier suggested.

If U2 did something like that, they would give their fans a choice of two songs from which to pick one.  Beautiful Day or Elevation.

LOL. Springsteen would give them No Surrender or Darlington County.
Springsteen lets them pick any song from his catalog

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »
I kind of like the idea of taking requests via the Internet or Twitter or some other means, but it would have to be done before the show and not during. No one -- least of all Bono -- wants to look up and see 20,000 people using their cell phones, unless he has made his 'Milky Way' request.

REM did something like this in 2003, but with them it was wide open. I could see U2 asking fans to pick 3 or 4 from a list of 10, as someone earlier suggested.

If U2 did something like that, they would give their fans a choice of two songs from which to pick one.  Beautiful Day or Elevation.

But I'd wager they end up picking a usual suspect.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2013, 02:38:57 PM »

Like I said, be careful before deifying Bruce when it comes to setlists. Sure, fans bring any sign they want, but that doesn't mean Bruce isn't going to pick the same songs over and over again and ignore the obvious fan-favorites. Think Bono looking past 10 Dirty Day signs and picking one for In A Little While.

Bruce is great, and he certainly has his inspired moments during any given show. I don't mean to sound overly critical, but check out a Springsteen message board the next time you think people here are complaining too much about setlists. Or anything else for that matter.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »
I reckon Bruce can pick out a sign with 'Waitin' On a Sunny Day' on it in a crowd of 50,000!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
I reckon Bruce can pick out a sign with 'Waitin' On a Sunny Day' on it in a crowd of 50,000!

Amen, Brother! You know he can!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2013, 03:15:57 PM »
Hey, rolling stone picked this thread up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »
Hey, rolling stone picked this thread up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still get a kick out of seeing something like this quote in the mainstream media:

""Your Blue Room" followed by "A Different Kind of Blue" and "Pete the Chop.""

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2013, 03:26:37 PM »

Like I said, be careful before deifying Bruce when it comes to setlists. Sure, fans bring any sign they want, but that doesn't mean Bruce isn't going to pick the same songs over and over again and ignore the obvious fan-favorites. Think Bono looking past 10 Dirty Day signs and picking one for In A Little While.

Bruce is great, and he certainly has his inspired moments during any given show. I don't mean to sound overly critical, but check out a Springsteen message board the next time you think people here are complaining too much about setlists. Or anything else for that matter.
Eh, no! Bruce is FAMOUS for playing obscure songs on the fly, and he DOES shake it up night to night. Massively.

Check out the following URL's:

Springsteen played 179 DIFFERENT songs during the 2013 dates on the Wrecking Ball tour. Compare that to the 42 songs U2 played during the 2011 360 tour shows.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
I would think that it's easier to perform a bunch of straightforward rock songs (which is all Springsteen does) as opposed to the effects-arama that are U2 songs, unless we want them all to be stripped down acoustic versions that bear little resemblance to the album versions.

Offline seashells

• Staring at the Sun
  • Let me in the sound
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »
I don't know that I trust all the "insider" info. Nevertheless, they could do different set lists with their abilities if they had shorter shows. If, for example, instead of a 2 hour show, they had 1.5 hour shows, they could do less songs, expend less energy and not really have to get much more of an act down than 360. They might make more money because of repeat customers and with their age (I hate to admit it) they might be able to perform better this way. As for the tech side of things, I have no idea how that works.

Please don't go to shorter shows.  With the ticket prices what they will probably be, the price per minute of music just went out of a reasonable range (not trying to start a "if it was ever reasonable in the first place" debate).

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »

Eh, no! Bruce is FAMOUS for playing obscure songs on the fly, and he DOES shake it up night to night. Massively.

Check out the following URL's:

Springsteen played 179 DIFFERENT songs during the 2013 dates on the Wrecking Ball tour. Compare that to the 42 songs U2 played during the 2011 360 tour shows.

I see your point; believe me, I do. You have me on facts, so I am going to gracefully bow to you, but trust me when I tell you that it doesn't always FEEL that way with Bruce. That may sound insane, because you look at the stats and say 'Bruce played four times the number of songs that U2 played ...'

Speaking personally, I have been disappointed by the last two Springsteen shows I saw, but U2 blew me away with some of their choices on 360. I guess it is just a personal preference.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »
I would love varying set lists and prefer the options 2 & 3 (decades or hits/rarities). 

For ZooTV they had the multiple screens, for Popmart they had the giant screen, for Elevation they had the inner heart, for Vertigo the lcd balls, for 360 well 360.

For a varying set list for the upcoming tour, they'll need to invent a portable teleprompter for Bono to use while dancing all around.  I'm picturing those floating things from Man of Steel that were used on Krypton in the beginning.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »
The only thing I hope the next tour includes are a majority of songs from the new record....and they stay on the setlist for the entire tour.  This would indicate that the record has connected, resonated, and fans want to hear it live. 

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2013, 07:53:19 PM »
Is this based on the "six gigs in six cities" rumour?