Author Topic: rumor: tour in arenas and different set lists  (Read 13984 times)

Offline TeddyTV

• Babyface
Re: rumor: tour in arenas and different set lists
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:45 PM »
I think this could easily be resolved if Bruce and U2 just made out the others set list. I bet Bruce would pick a few good U2 rarities we haven't listed yet. I'm in Concord, NC, home of the Avett Brothers, and frequently follow their setlists. (Their cellist actually tweets a photo of each show's setlist, which is a sidebar on a band's use of social media for other threads, right?). Anyhow, TAB are more like Springsteen in that they vary setlists each night, and opposite of U2, rely very little on lights, effects, video, etc. Thus can easily plug and play songs in the setlist. At a Avett Bros. show a couple of years ago, the girl to my right got drunker and drunker, and surlier and surlier as the the show progressed. She had no use for the "new" songs, and hated any arrangement other than the original 3 band members. Meanwhile, the teens to my right knew every word to every new song, and sung them all with passion the whole show long. It was the whole U2 experience summed up at once. Who is the band building the set list for? The hardcore folks (like us) "who by now... have spent about 500 too. So thank you!" or the new and more mainstream audience?

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Eh, no! Bruce is FAMOUS for playing obscure songs on the fly, and he DOES shake it up night to night. Massively.

Check out the following URL's:

Springsteen played 179 DIFFERENT songs during the 2013 dates on the Wrecking Ball tour. Compare that to the 42 songs U2 played during the 2011 360 tour shows.

To be fair though, it seems like over half those songs Bruce played only got 1 or 2 performances. I don't know if those are the ones he took requests on or improvised with just an acoustic guitar, but even 8 or so of those songs seemed to be consistent through his shows this year.

I do wonder if most of the fans that attend his shows know most or all of the songs though. Does it even matter? Can anyone shed light on that?

Offline TeddyTV

• Babyface
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »
I saw Bruce once on the Tunnel of Love tour around '87 or so, then didn't see him again until the Magic tour, several years ago, but I have seen several shows over the past few years, mainly because he's come closer to my area more frequently.

In my experience, he's not played a lot of acoustic material, specifically for the request portion of the show. It's always been full band, and you can tell sometimes the band is working to keep up and figuring it out on the fly. Also, I don't believe (I am not a musician, so I may be wrong) the requests he selects aren't as musically complex, they're more straight-forward rock-and-roll type songs, and in many cases weren't his songs, but oldies from various eras.

Also, I saw the second or third show of the Wrecking Ball tour, and he played quite a few new songs from that album. Like U2, he subsequently dropped more of those as the tour progressed.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2013, 11:39:42 PM »

I do wonder if most of the fans that attend his shows know most or all of the songs though. Does it even matter? Can anyone shed light on that?

Oh, we know them. ;)

Offline alphabetagaga

• Babyface
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2013, 06:30:43 AM »
Stable, predictable set lists are important for lighting cues, video and other such programming.

and also very very boring. i'd have stripped down stage sets with varied setlists/running orders over predictable setlists everytime on every tour. i'm not there for the lighting, video etc wow factor. i'm there to hear the music but i'm not there to pay 60 a ticket to stand in the audience and say 'i know what song is coming next' because the video or lighting gives it away.. if radiohead can play 2 completely different and varied sets over a couple of days at reading/leeds a few years back then u2 can do it. when they next tour i don't wanna hear all the same 'classics' i heard when i saw them on 360.

the best part of their last tour? standing on the front row at glasto and hearing them play out of control. no one knew it was coming. it was exciting. predictable is not.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:35:16 AM by alphabetagaga »

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2013, 07:00:53 AM »
the best part of their last tour? standing on the front row at glasto and hearing them play out of control. no one knew it was coming. it was exciting. predictable is not.

They have pulled out Out of Control for the past three tours though, right? It was never a setlist staple, but I don't know if I'd call it "unpredictable" (at least in the vein that some people on the message boards would want).

Glad you had that experience in the front row though!

Offline alphabetagaga

• Babyface
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2013, 07:08:53 AM »
thing is on 360, how many times did they finish with moment of surrender, which everyone knew was coming? and out of control?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:12:22 AM by alphabetagaga »

Offline alphabetagaga

• Babyface
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2013, 07:10:17 AM »
Glad you had that experience in the front row though!

some reward for being there from 11am!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2013, 07:14:31 AM »

thing is on 360, how many times did they finish with moment of surrender, which everyone knew was coming? and out of control?

Most of the shows ended with MoS. A handful ended with different songs (usually OOC, but in Pittsburgh they ended with Bad.)

Offline alphabetagaga

• Babyface
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2013, 07:16:20 AM »
but I don't know if I'd call it "unpredictable"

the 'unpredictable' part was not knowing it was coming! be it ooc or some other. i guess the point i'm trying to put across is to make it less obvious what is coming next  :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:19:26 AM by alphabetagaga »

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2013, 07:21:15 AM »
They ended on WOWY in Winnipeg, which was unfortunate.

Offline alphabetagaga

• Babyface
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2013, 07:23:06 AM »
i sympathise!

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:53 AM »
the 'unpredictable' part was not knowing it was coming! be it ooc or some other. i guess the point i'm trying to put across is to make it less obvious what is coming next  :)

No, I hear ya... truth be told, I had a similar reaction when they played it in Chicago in 2011! ;)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
id rather they end with a more uptempo rocker like OOC or Vertigo or something. I'd tired of the WOWY performances and it just doesn't work as a show closer. MOS didn't either which was painfully obvious to every BUT U2, apparently.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2013, 07:54:05 AM »
They will surprise us by closing with "40"

:-P