Author Topic: rumor: tour in arenas and different set lists  (Read 13985 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: rumor: tour in arenas and different set lists
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2013, 08:00:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They will surprise us by closing with "40"

:-P

40 may be a Top 5 U2 song for me so i'd take THAT slower closer for sure. Just no more WOWY, One, MOS.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »

40 may be a Top 5 U2 song for me so i'd take THAT slower closer for sure. Just no more WOWY, One, MOS.

I love 40. But it's hardly an innovation to close with "40" after closing the WAR, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua tree, Lovetown and Vertigo tours with it.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2013, 10:38:12 AM »
I hear the crowd reaction to 40 in Moncton was far from enthusiastic, so perhaps the band will realize it's been played out and is not known by casual fans.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »
For me '40' is THE U2 set closer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Offline JJJX3

• Babyface
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »
I hear the crowd reaction to 40 in Moncton was far from enthusiastic, so perhaps the band will realize it's been played out and is not known by casual fans.

Even as a long time fan I think 40 is overdone as a closer.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »
this is a frequent complaint from U2 fans, myself included. I, for one, would like to see them shake it up a bit and not have a predictable setlist. On every U2 tour, you can predict all of the following:
There will be 5/6 songs off the new album.
There will be about 8 big hits from past albums, including WOWY, UTEOTW, Streets, ISHFWILF, Pride, SBS, One.
There will be a couple of songs thrown in for the dedicated fans, but it will be the same couple on each show (on 360 it was scarlett and the Unforgettable Fire, on Vertigo, it was Electric Co/An Cat Dubh)

Then, they may or may not close with "40"

I, for one, would like to see them adding 15-20 songs to their setlist to play 5-6 of them each night, for the hardcore fans. Songs like:

• Tomorrow
  • Surrender
  • Wire
  • A sort of Homecoming
  • Three sunrises
  • Red Hill Mining Town
  • Hawkmoon 269
  • God part II
  • The Wanderer
  • So Cruel
  • Slug
  • The Saints are coming
  • Electrical Storm
  • Being Born

What's wrong with 5/6 new songs each night ? My main hope is they don't chop off 3 new songs like 360 tour after two legs...

Hits are hits, they may rotate or play some of them less, but they won't go away.

It's interesting with the amount of less known songs on Vertigo and 360, people still complain.

And 40 hasn't been a regular closer since the 80's with the exception of several nights on Vertigo tour.

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
They need to play these songs

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  8)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login they were rehearsing this on 360.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login get this version right and play the full band verison.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or play this version

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
For me '40' is THE U2 set closer

I agree. There are some great closers out there but for me it's had to beat "40". It's really magical, especially when the crowd sings along and really helps carry it.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »

I love 40. But it's hardly an innovation to close with "40" after closing the WAR, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua tree, Lovetown and Vertigo tours with it.

Well i've never heard it live so and im not really concerned with old school tour goers thinking its overly done.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
I too want to hear "40" closing a U2 show that I attend.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2013, 01:26:03 PM »
I just don't see this ever happening.  They are just not good enough to pull it off.  They have difficulty enough playing the usual same old same old songs they play tour after tour.  I just can't see them play Wire and A Sort of Homecoming one night and Surrender, Seconds the next and maybe Trip Through your wires, God Part 2, Hawkmoon etc during other shows.  Maybe they should bring back Fantasy Island, then maybe our dreams could come true with variety of setlists.  Not going to happen.  We will get the same protocol as the last several tours- New songs, the usual staples, 2 rarities.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »
A new U2 tour is about as exciting as a new Stones tour.  You know what you're going to get and you know that the band is going to make another fortune from it.

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »
I just don't see this ever happening.  They are just not good enough to pull it off.  They have difficulty enough playing the usual same old same old songs they play tour after tour.  I just can't see them play Wire and A Sort of Homecoming one night and Surrender, Seconds the next and maybe Trip Through your wires, God Part 2, Hawkmoon etc during other shows.  Maybe they should bring back Fantasy Island, then maybe our dreams could come true with variety of setlists.  Not going to happen.  We will get the same protocol as the last several tours- New songs, the usual staples, 2 rarities.
That's b***ox ,they are well capable of doing it,they usually have 60 songs ready to go during a tour,and are well capable of shaking it up if they want,check the setlists from the Lovetown tour on u2 tours ,not many bands have there own stadium production ,infact no other band has,most play arenas and then hop on the festival circuit to make themselves look more popular than they actually are,if you look at recent tours by Depeche mode ,The Police,Stone roses ,the setlist was identical every night,if your playing big outdoor shows it has to be consistent ,other wise it can look unfocused and shabby,and can exclude the fans who don't know what Bono eats for breakfast.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »
That's b***ox ,they are well capable of doing it,they usually have 60 songs ready to go during a tour,and are well capable of shaking it up if they want,check the setlists from the Lovetown tour on u2 tours ,not many bands have there own stadium production ,infact no other band has,most play arenas and then hop on the festival circuit to make themselves look more popular than they actually are,if you look at recent tours by Depeche mode ,The Police,Stone roses ,the setlist was identical every night,if your playing big outdoor shows it has to be consistent ,other wise it can look unfocused and shabby,and can exclude the fans who don't know what Bono eats for breakfast.
I agree with you other bands have static setlist also, but to suggerst U2 can do what Springsteen is doing on his current tour is just absurd.  They may be capable, but maybe just lazy.  They better start rehearsing now if they are going to pull it off.  LoveTown setlist look pretty static to me.  Didn't see them pulling out songs like Surrender, seconds, Wire, I Threw a Brick through a Window, A Day withour me, Two Hearts etc. even back then, and they are going to do it now?  Like I said, maybe on Fantasy Island.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
I agree, not that 'they're not good enough' - they are - but that they won't. It would force them to re-think lighting, effects, etc., and to re-evaluate their audio quality. Springsteen does it - but he has 20 people backing him up, and he keeps it simple. U2 (especially Edge) likes it to be right. Right Guitar. Right sound effects. Right lighting. Right time in the show. That doesn't lend itself to having 75-100 songs in their playbook at any given time.