Author Topic: rumor: tour in arenas and different set lists  (Read 13953 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: rumor: tour in arenas and different set lists
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
Let's not forget that U2 are a more exciting live act than Springsteen despite their shortcomings, or at least they used to be.

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »
Springsteen shows can be a long boring event if your a casual fan,he doesn't do the hits and can play obscure tunes that only his hardcore fans will know,easy to shuffle setlists when you have 20 players behind you and most people don't know who is playing what,apart from max on the drums ,would like to see u2 mix it up a bit more on the next tour ,dam sure they have enough good tunes to pull it off.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2013, 02:45:29 PM »
What matters most is that they get their new show right from the get-go, then they won't feel the need to change it around much or play more rarities as the tour progresses because they would have nailed it right from the start of the tour.  This all depends on the band making the right creative decisions at the pre-production and pre-tour stage, and of course on the quality of their new material.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »
Okay firstly, that's a nonsensical description of Springsteen's shows. He does, in fact, do the "hits" (Basically every single show of the current tour has featured Born To Run, Dancing In The Dark, The Rising, Badlands and Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, for instance) and no, it's really, really not "easy to shuffle setlists when you have 20 players behind you." Most would say this actually makes it rather more difficult. Oh yeah, and most Springsteen shows get rave reviews quite as much as U2's despite your "long boring event" comment. But let's move past all that;

U2 simply do not, in any way, have 60 songs ready and rehearsed during any tour. During the 360 Tour, they managed about 60 songs across the entire tour; that includes eleven songs that were played only one or two times and one-off covers like "The Auld Triangle". Hell, we can see their rehearsals; at the start of 360 they had, at absolute most, about 35 songs that they could go with. That number increased a little as the tour went on, but not dramatically.

U2 are a totally different live experience to acts like Springsteen or Pearl Jam who can flip about the setlists dramatically. It doesn't make them worse, but let's not pretend that they are the same or could do it if they wanted.

Let's not forget that U2 are a more exciting live act than Springsteen despite their shortcomings, or at least they used to be.

Well... that's a matter of opinion. ;) My dad raves about his early club, Joshua Tree and ZooTV U2 shows but he'll still put Springsteen at Slane as his top concert of all time! But it's a moot point; it's all just personal opinion.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:50:12 PM by The Unknown Caller »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2013, 02:54:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Okay firstly, that's a nonsensical description of Springsteen's shows. He does, in fact, do the "hits" (Basically every single show of the current tour has featured Born To Run, Dancing In The Dark, The Rising, Badlands and Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, for instance) and no, it's really, really not "easy to shuffle setlists when you have 20 players behind you." Most would say this actually makes it rather more difficult. Oh yeah, and most Springsteen shows get rave reviews quite as much as U2's despite your "long boring event" comment. But let's move past all that;

I think it is easy for the likes of Springsteen or Prince because their band's are talented musicians who are drilled and drilled.

U2 simply do not, in any way, have 60 songs ready and rehearsed during any tour. During the 360 Tour, they managed about 60 songs across the entire tour; that includes eleven songs that were played only one or two times and one-off covers like "The Auld Triangle". Hell, we can see their rehearsals; at the start of 360 they had, at absolute most, about 35 songs that they could go with. That number increased a little as the tour went on, but not dramatically.

U2 are a totally different live experience to acts like Springsteen or Pearl Jam who can flip about the setlists dramatically. It doesn't make them worse, but let's not pretend that they are the same or could do it if they wanted.

U2 could do but it would require too much effort and push them out of their comfort zone and so, quite frankly, why bother?  Their fans don't really expect them to be all that versatile.  And I agree that U2 are totally different live act to Springsteen and no worse for it.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
Well... that's a matter of opinion. ;) My dad raves about his early club, Joshua Tree and ZooTV U2 shows but he'll still put Springsteen at Slane as his top concert of all time! But it's a moot point; it's all just personal opinion.

I thought you said your dad preferred U2 on 360 than on Zoo TV? 

Offline HisFlyness

• Babyface
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2013, 03:03:31 PM »
When did this thread become more about Springsteen than U2? The fandom is starting to show it's age...

Here's another good example of a band that mixes it up: Muse. On any given night they may rotate out 5-6 of their songs, and at least on the indoor leg of their most recent tour, they would throw up a roulette wheel graphic that would alternate between two songs and a "BONUS" great square for something truly rare. Sure, it's an illusion, but one that the audience got behind while cheering for their song to win the spin.

I think U2 could easily do something similar. It's a shame they didn't already do it with the Vertigo Tour spinner.

Offline HisFlyness

• Babyface
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »
(It still amuses me that I'm listed as a Babyface on the forums...been a member since 2001, just haven't been active much...lol)

• Holy Joe
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
When did this thread become more about Springsteen than U2? The fandom is starting to show it's age...

Here's another good example of a band that mixes it up: Muse. On any given night they may rotate out 5-6 of their songs, and at least on the indoor leg of their most recent tour, they would throw up a roulette wheel graphic that would alternate between two songs and a "BONUS" great square for something truly rare. Sure, it's an illusion, but one that the audience got behind while cheering for their song to win the spin.

I think U2 could easily do something similar. It's a shame they didn't already do it with the Vertigo Tour spinner.

Oy, I'm 21. :p But for what it's worth, Muse are actually fairly well known for, well, not showing that much setlist variety and having their sets quite short. More than U2, sure, but not much more; the core of their set, like U2's, is very consistent. Though they've gotten better!

I thought you said your dad preferred U2 on 360 than on Zoo TV? 

I doubt "preferred", but he ranks 360 Turin up there among his best! (Although he ranks 360 Paris quite low... c'est la vie.)

Offline HisFlyness

• Babyface
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »
Really? Because following them extensively the last year or so, I've seen songs jump all over the setlist, this whole debate with the "Trilogy/Quadrilogy of Darkness", them teasing Fury, bringing back Feeling Good, etc...seems more random than U2 has been with the exception of some 360 legs.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »
Spinning a digital wheel to choose a song to play is a neat idea.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2013, 04:13:55 PM »
Really? Because following them extensively the last year or so, I've seen songs jump all over the setlist, this whole debate with the "Trilogy/Quadrilogy of Darkness", them teasing Fury, bringing back Feeling Good, etc...seems more random than U2 has been with the exception of some 360 legs.

As I said, it varied more extensively than usual... for Muse. But not really that much in general terms. The majority of the set stayed consistent from start to end, and there were about twenty songs that were played on more than half of the tour nights; particularly telling since their sets are shorter than U2's. (Although again, longer than they used to be!) That's an improvement from The Resistance Tour, where Muse played the same total number of songs in a 130 show tour as U2 did in the first leg of 360. Basically, great band but no-one would point to Muse as an example of major daring or risk-taking in setlist variation.

Offline Babyface1411

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 05:19:26 PM »

As I said, it varied more extensively than usual... for Muse. But not really that much in general terms. The majority of the set stayed consistent from start to end, and there were about twenty songs that were played on more than half of the tour nights; particularly telling since their sets are shorter than U2's. (Although again, longer than they used to be!) That's an improvement from The Resistance Tour, where Muse played the same total number of songs in a 130 show tour as U2 did in the first leg of 360. Basically, great band but no-one would point to Muse as an example of major daring or risk-taking in setlist variation.muse are sh** anyway ,prob rock boring as help,what the f##k is he singing about anyway,"we shall be victorious"it's all been done  before and better in the 70s,setlist don't matter to the 90% of fans who will only attend one show,it's just the fanatics who want them to mix it up.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »
I just don't see this ever happening.  They are just not good enough to pull it off.  They have difficulty enough playing the usual same old same old songs they play tour after tour.  I just can't see them play Wire and A Sort of Homecoming one night and Surrender, Seconds the next and maybe Trip Through your wires, God Part 2, Hawkmoon etc during other shows.  Maybe they should bring back Fantasy Island, then maybe our dreams could come true with variety of setlists.  Not going to happen.  We will get the same protocol as the last several tours- New songs, the usual staples, 2 rarities.

Ever hear of the Lovetown Tour back in 1989-1990