Author Topic: Will Danger Mouse co-write any songs on the new album?  (Read 3414 times)

Offline DMiTD

• Stateless
Will Danger Mouse co-write any songs on the new album?
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
Danger Mouse is a little unusual among producers in that he prefers to be a total collaborator. He has 21 major works in his discography and he's co-written at least some songs on each project. If the next U2 album surfaces without any songs co-credited to him, it will be a first in his career.

So, what are the odds that U2 has shared songwriting duties with him for the upcoming album, in your opinion?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
Re: Will Danger Mouse co-write any songs on the new album?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »
It's hard to say. He may have contributed to some of the sounds and production but whether or not that will count as songwriting credits remains to be seen.

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:57:05 PM »
Don't see why not. Weren't Eno and Lanois co-writers on the NLOTH songs?

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 11:43:28 PM »
Probably zero chance.

smee

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:47:01 AM »
I cant see it to be honest. Sharing song writing with collaborators of 30 yrs is one thing.....but i couldnt imagine u2 trusting Danger Mouse as much.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:49:49 AM »
Does he have a history of this? With The Black Keys for example? May have been part of what got him the job. Otherwise I'd say no chance.

Offline JJJX3

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
Ask flood.

Offline DMiTD

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 08:33:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does he have a history of this? With The Black Keys for example? May have been part of what got him the job. Otherwise I'd say no chance.

Yes, his entire history is as a co-songwriter.

With the Black Keys he contributed arrangements and played instruments on Attack and Release, on El Camino he co-wrote every song, including contributing lyrics.

With the Norah Jones album he co-wrote every song, on the Beck album he co-wrote a few, etc. But, as I said, he's never done an album where he only produced and didn't write, and he's done 21 proper full-length albums. (And the one-off tracks and EPs he's done were as a co-writer too)

He's not a producer that sprinkles stardust on a record, he mucks in with the band.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:37:29 AM »
Cheers for that. Seems likely now.

*And apologies for not reading your original post  :-[
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:07:12 AM by Bads316 »

Offline The Slow Loris

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 11:33:08 AM »
Danger Mouse is a little unusual among producers in that he prefers to be a total collaborator. He has 21 major works in his discography and he's co-written at least some songs on each project. If the next U2 album surfaces without any songs co-credited to him, it will be a first in his career.

So, what are the odds that U2 has shared songwriting duties with him for the upcoming album, in your opinion?

I don't see why U2 would not share songwriting duties with the producer they have entrusted to produce their album the way he normally produces albums. U2 went to him, after all. Why would they go to him if they want to change the way he works? They went to him to bring what he does to the table. And, besides, 'Every Breaking Wave' will be co-written with Lanois, so there is one example of a song (likely) on the new album that they already collaborated on with a producer (albeit a long-time producer...but U2 are all about trusting the creative process, and Danger Mouse is all about that as well, and part of that is allowing each other that freedom). I will guess that much of this album will co-written with Danger Mouse.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:40:36 AM by The Slow Loris »

Offline DMiTD

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »

I hope I didn't come off as cross about it, because I'm not at all.  :) Just wanted to open a conversation, not put anyone's feet to the fire.

Offline DMiTD

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »
I don't see why U2 would not share songwriting duties with the producer they have entrusted to produce their album the way he normally produces albums. U2 went to him, after all. Why would they go to him if they want to change the way he works? They went to him to bring what he does to the table. And, besides, 'Every Breaking Wave' will be co-written with Lanois, so there is one example of a song (likely) on the new album that they already collaborated on with a producer. I will guess that much of this album will co-written with Danger Mouse.

For what it's worth, here's a piece Danger Mouse wrote for Esquire magazine in 2008 that outlines his philosophy in the studio:

THE DANGER MOUSE GUIDE TO SUCCESSFUL PARTNERSHIPS
I'm very lucky to be part of Beck's overall body of work. Same thing with Damon Albarn's career. But I've never looked at what I do as simply helping someone make his record better. You have to want to work with me. And if you're jumping in the boat, I'm going to paddle as hard as I can. This is how to do it:

1. Be an apprentice. Each collaborator adds to your collective knowledge. They're all teachers. Ideas move to the next project.

2. Contain your ego. It doesn't get in the way early on. Early on, you're just happy to solve problems. Later on, you can't let ego suggest the same solutions to new problems.

3. Reject the past. Take Beck, for instance: I don't think about his past work. I let him think about that. Whatever else he's done doesn't make a difference to me. Here's what matters: "Would it actually work?" And it did.

4. Paddle really, really hard. (See above.)

5. Embrace the misery. I sometimes take too much responsibility for what music can do, for its role in shaping the world. But great records come from miserable times.

Personally (perhaps obviously) I'm very interested to hear what they might come up with as co-writers.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »

I hope I didn't come off as cross about it, because I'm not at all.  :) Just wanted to open a conversation, not put anyone's feet to the fire.

No nothing like that, just felt a little foolish for asking a question that had already been answered.

Offline The Slow Loris

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
I don't see why U2 would not share songwriting duties with the producer they have entrusted to produce their album the way he normally produces albums. U2 went to him, after all. Why would they go to him if they want to change the way he works? They went to him to bring what he does to the table. And, besides, 'Every Breaking Wave' will be co-written with Lanois, so there is one example of a song (likely) on the new album that they already collaborated on with a producer. I will guess that much of this album will co-written with Danger Mouse.

For what it's worth, here's a piece Danger Mouse wrote for Esquire magazine in 2008 that outlines his philosophy in the studio:

THE DANGER MOUSE GUIDE TO SUCCESSFUL PARTNERSHIPS
I'm very lucky to be part of Beck's overall body of work. Same thing with Damon Albarn's career. But I've never looked at what I do as simply helping someone make his record better. You have to want to work with me. And if you're jumping in the boat, I'm going to paddle as hard as I can. This is how to do it:

1. Be an apprentice. Each collaborator adds to your collective knowledge. They're all teachers. Ideas move to the next project.

2. Contain your ego. It doesn't get in the way early on. Early on, you're just happy to solve problems. Later on, you can't let ego suggest the same solutions to new problems.

3. Reject the past. Take Beck, for instance: I don't think about his past work. I let him think about that. Whatever else he's done doesn't make a difference to me. Here's what matters: "Would it actually work?" And it did.

5. Embrace the misery. I sometimes take too much responsibility for what music can do, for its role in shaping the world. But great records come from miserable times.

Personally (perhaps obviously) I'm very interested to hear what they might come up with as co-writers.

It's funny you just posted that. This is how I just edited my last post (in bold) before I read your response: "And, besides, 'Every Breaking Wave' will be co-written with Lanois, so there is one example of a song (likely) on the new album that they already collaborated on with a producer (albeit a long-time producer...but U2 are all about trusting the creative process, and Danger Mouse is all about that as well, and part of that is allowing each other that freedom)."

I would say that pretty much sums up that set of rules! I am really looking forward to hearing how Danger Mouse has taken U2 outside of their comfort zones, and what kinds of inspirations they have spring boarded off each other....I am expecting a huge album. Loud guitars and drums, dirty, soulful, and...diverse.

Offline OptimaX

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • ZOOPOP
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »

5. Embrace the misery. I sometimes take too much responsibility for what music can do, for its role in shaping the world. But great records come from miserable times. [/i]

If he applied those rules to the U2 Album, I think they really might have a chance to make themselves relevant again.
However,
I also start to realise that IF they succeed under these rules of Danger Mouse's philosophy, then the band really would have to re-invent themselves live too, If they choose to stay true to the Danger Mouse production.

I think the stakes are high for U2. They could indeed very well succeed, but if they fail again with a new album... I think it is truly over.

I already look forward to Edge's solo career, and If Bono walks the Swing/Sinatra path, then I'm into that too.