Author Topic: Will Danger Mouse co-write any songs on the new album?  (Read 3415 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Will Danger Mouse co-write any songs on the new album?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
If this album is another dud then i reckon it is and indeed should be game over for u2 - i cant see danger mouse 'allowing' garbage like i'll go crazy, peace on earth, wild honey et al to see the light of day - im hoping for a heavy record with some groove in there too and some darker lyrics - hopefully he wont allow them to hug the middle of the road they spent the 00s hugging and this album signifies the rebirth of u2 as a creative force

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure U2 themselves wouldn't allow a bad release. This album will be an honest effort. NLOTH was not. Which might just be why they don't talk about it.
And at this point, they might still make a weak, flawed album. It'll have moments of greatness (probably their last, though), but that'll be it. Or they might make their greatest album. U2's been about honesty from the start, and they lost that somewhere along with Pop (trying too hard, which was the flaw in the album and in Popmart). NLOTH and 360 weren't steps in the right direction. Bono's back breaking, Glastonbury, the end of 360 were steps in the right direction. I'm fairly confident that they've got the honesty back. Which is why I'm looking forward to this.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:47:38 PM by wraitii »

Offline johno11

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
Chris Martin has a co write on some songs too.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »
Between The Edge, Adam, and the drinking bird, there's no keyboards vacancy at U2.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1. Be an apprentice. Each collaborator adds to your collective knowledge. They're all teachers. Ideas move to the next project.

2. Contain your ego. It doesn't get in the way early on. Early on, you're just happy to solve problems. Later on, you can't let ego suggest the same solutions to new problems.

3. Reject the past. Take Beck, for instance: I don't think about his past work. I let him think about that. Whatever else he's done doesn't make a difference to me. Here's what matters: "Would it actually work?" And it did.

4. Paddle really, really hard. (See above.)

5. Embrace the misery. I sometimes take too much responsibility for what music can do, for its role in shaping the world. But great records come from miserable times. [/i]

Personally (perhaps obviously) I'm very interested to hear what they might come up with as co-writers.

I think the stakes are high for U2. They could indeed very well succeed, but if they fail again with a new album... I think it is truly over.

Fail? How does one consider an album that sold millions and was well received by critics to be a failure?

Offline JJJX3

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 07:56:01 AM »
If Pop was "trying too hard" then lets hear it for doing so again.

The last few albums and 360 were "not trying very hard at all"

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 08:42:33 AM »
I don't know...I think they tried pretty hard on NLOTH. I don't think it was a lazy album in the same way HTDaAB was. I don't know if the album would've been different without Eno and Lanois producing. Maybe it would've been better, maybe it would've been worse. But parts of it felt like they were pushing themselves a lot harder than they were with Bomb (and yes, parts of it feel like...they weren't).

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »
U2 have never made a lazy album. You wanna make a "lazy album" you bang the thing out from start to finish in 6 weeks and dump your half-finished songs on your fans while declaring that you've made a masterpiece.

Y'all crack me up sometimes.

Offline JJJX3

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
Led Zeppelins first album took less than a month.

Presence took about 2 weeks.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:25:04 AM by JJJX3 »

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »
U2 have never made a lazy album. You wanna make a "lazy album" you bang the thing out from start to finish in 6 weeks and dump your half-finished songs on your fans while declaring that you've made a masterpiece.

Y'all crack me up sometimes.

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to belittle. I meant that they didn't seem like they were trying to break any new ground with that album, and I think they were trying do so with NLOTH.

Offline DMiTD

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »
I don't think there's a reliable argument to be made with regard to how long it takes to make a record and the quality of that record.

There are long-gestating albums that come out a mess and brilliant quickies and vice-versa. Great ideas, musicianship, and songwriting make for great albums. There's no amount of studio time, or lack thereof, that takes the place of those elements, imo. Putting out a record when you don't have great songs or original ideas is a waste of time, however long it takes or doesn't take.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »
I'm not arguing "quality," I'm arguing against the lazy-music tag.

Led Zeppelins first album took less than a month.

Presence took about 2 weeks.

LZ1 was thoroughly rehearsed before they went into the studio, and by the time they made Presence, they were damn near communicating telepathically. Combine that with a level of musicianship that maybe 0.01% of musicians ever reach, and you can see why Zep could not only get away with it, but make masterpieces working like that.

Offline JJJX3

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 10:05:18 AM »
If anything U2 OVER works on their music. Overthinks and sanitizes.

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »

I find the producer/artist relationship a bit odd anyways.  Lanois and Eno were both actively coming up with loops and pieces for the band to play off of.  Often times, those loops made it into the songs (Eno's foghorn sound on New York being one example).

Danger Mouse is definitely helping with the writing but he may not get that credit. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
If anything U2 OVER works on their music. Overthinks and sanitizes.

Is right!

The longer it takes the less chance of it being great IMO with u2.