Author Topic: 53 year old parallel's  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
53 year old parallel's
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »
Okay, so Edge is on fire, U2 is lost in the music etc. New album coming out soon.

They are in their early to mid 50's at this point.  Millionaire's several times over, Can anyone think of bands in their 50's who have released relevant albums that would be up to the high standards we have for a U2 release? 

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: 53 year old parallel's
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:29:19 PM »
Nope. Not a single one. Most bands this old release shi**y music.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:50:11 PM by singnomore »

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:34:44 PM »
Paul McCartney always released quality, relevant albums throughout his whole career

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 11:48:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Paul McCartney always released quality, relevant albums throughout his whole career

He hasn't had a huge hit for a while though.

Offline Shark Ericson

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:52:50 AM »
Nope. Not a single one. Most bands this old release shi**y music.

There are some people that would consider NLOTH and Get On Your Boots to meet your criteria of "shi**y" music.

A Bigger Bang by the Stones back in 2005 was a damn good album, in my opinion. Springsteen has also released many great albums in his later years.

Also, Johnny Cash released some tremendous works before he passed away.

satellitedog01

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 05:31:13 AM »
Great art doesn't come from people content with their achievements. You need drive and strife and hunger and outside obstacles in your way that you can fight and overcome.

U2 (Bono, the others will be persuaded  by him anyways) needs personal tragedy (either actual or perceived) or being written down for good to get up off their asses and it may have happened to some degree with the commercial failure of NLOTH, but something more world shattering would be better for the music. And no I don't care about their well being when it comes to great new U2 music :-)

Or they need a truly great song that will prompt them to ditch the filler and go for broke.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 06:49:56 AM »
Okay, so Edge is on fire, U2 is lost in the music etc. New album coming out soon.

They are in their early to mid 50's at this point.  Millionaire's several times over, Can anyone think of bands in their 50's who have released relevant albums that would be up to the high standards we have for a U2 release? 

1. Rush. They're all pushing 60, and last year's Clockwork Angels was arguably the best album of their almost 40-year career. In their top 3 for sure - and 2007's Snakes and Arrows, which was made when they were about the same age the guys in U2 are now, was pretty damn great, as well.

2. Iron Maiden. They're all a few years older than the guys in U2, I think. Their last album The Final Frontier dropped the ball, but the one before that (A Matter Of Life And Death) was the best album they've made since Somewhere in Time in '86.

...well, there's two bands for you. It seems easier for solo artists to come up with great albums past age 50 - maybe because there's only one person who has to strive to break with established habits as opposed to a few? No idea.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 08:28:59 AM »

1. Rush. They're all pushing 60, and last year's Clockwork Angels was arguably the best album of their almost 40-year career.

One of the best albums I've heard by anyone in the last five years. I also saw them on this tour and it was an amazing show.

hrsan

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:23:05 AM »
It's all subjective. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »
I think it's been pointed out in plenty of other threads, but offhand, I can say David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, and Rush have all put out great albums late in their careers.

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 11:06:46 AM »
The traveling wilburys first album.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
The Rising by Springsteen was done when he was in his early 50's and in my opinion is the best album released in the '00s.

As another poster mentioned Maidens A Matter of Life and Death was a great album and probably their best since the late '80s.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 05:26:52 PM »
As many critics point out, U2 are really the first of their kind in coming this far as one unit whilst still releasing "regular" albums. So no band to compare them to. Solo artists and maybe some Stones stuff aside, I can only think of the well received New York Dolls comeback as an example of a band (partly original members) doing great stuff in their early/mid 50's. But relevant is debatable.

What really intrigues me is how there are now a batch of bands who, whether inspired by U2 or something else, are loyal to each other and likely to go the distance. People probably forget Radiohead are only about 8 years behind U2. Then there's Coldplay, Elbow, Muse etc. who are good mates and likely to be in pursuit of great music for many years to come. I'm interested to see how it all pans out.

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »
I find the Springsteen reference especially close.  Springsteen did a Springsteen album but he mixed in various elements that still broke new ground.

The travelling Wilburys were great because it felt fresh and familiar all at once.

Perhaps that is what I wish for U2's next album is that it is a fresh new direction for the band but still feels like a U2 album.  Does that make any sense?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 12:55:52 AM »
Travelling Wilburys. . . (chuckle)