Author Topic: Your u2 related regrets?  (Read 4458 times)

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
Re: Your u2 related regrets?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 12:50:58 AM »
Not going to a ZooTV tour.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 01:31:42 AM »
PopMart was in a town 40 miles away from me, but I was just getting into U2 and none of my friends would go, so I didn't see that tour. I'll be pi**ed off with myself forever for that. The one good thing that came out of it is that I'm completely willing to go to concerts by myself now. If friends don't come, their loss. I'll also regret not sticking around in Spain for as long as I could have to see 360 at San Sebastian. Had the tickets, went back to the US instead.

Jack@forte

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 01:44:43 AM »
Smee, I was at the Barrowlands 84 gig and my strongest memory is when bono walked out.I thought who is this wee imposter?I couldn't believe this was the same guy from UABRS.The gig itself I kind of remember.I was right at the front as we had queued from nine in the morning with tickets just to get to the front(kind of regret that).actually wish we were further back so we could jump about a bit more.I don't bother too much about remembering gigs...it's all about enjoying the moment.
I was at the secc gigs and Murrayfield too.They were awesome gigs(not trying to rub it in!).
My biggest regret is not holding on to my tshirts from the eighties in particular.I've held on to my Croke park 87 one but it's not the best (white gone yellow!).i had some pretty cool ones I could still squeeze into at a stretch :-)
Cheers

UP

satellitedog01

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 02:58:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Going to Vertigo Munich, but not because of the show itself, more the circumstances.

Can you tell more...?

:-) Sie sind ein gnadenlose Monster, herr Pro... It was a series of unlucky coincidences that added up to a catastrophic experience. We travelled to München the night before the concert to line up early in the morning. So we drove 8 hours, then lined up another 8 and through various mishaps I ended up separated from my friends (just a few people behind) and lost my earlybird wristband to theft from another fan, so I couldn't get up front to the stage, while my friends got lucky in that respect. Also because my line at the entrance was about five times as slow as the rest due to some overzealous security people, I watched in agony as the crowd who got there hours after me rushed past. They also started thoroughly checking the printed signs I took with me (had some U2 related one-liners and the main point of which was to help me get onstage to play an acoustic Satellite of Love with the guys), so to get in quicker I just threw it away, since it was already too late for me to be close enough to the stage thanks to them...

Eventually I got in, to an already half filled GA floor (after being roughly the fifth people in line, and after a similar incident at the Wroczlaw show in Poland a month before, but that was due to bad organization).
I got pi**ed off left the stadium and spent the the rest of the wait taking a nice long walk in the Olympia Park. When I got back I don't know why (had a wristband on) but they didn't let me back in on the floor, also confiscated my deodorant :-) so I got stuck on the uppermost, entrance circle of the Olympic Stadium (for non Germans the stadium is built like an amphitheater sunk into the green hills, yes it's pretty).

The only positives were watching the band arrive behind the stage (since you could walk around the stage at the top, and watching the show from the opposite end of the venue where the lightshow was quite nice.

To add insult to injury Bono pulled up a guy to play with them (who wasn't even the guy he wanted to get on stage, but the guy next to that guy, and the guy who Bono originally signalled to went to the previous shows to make it onstage, imagine how he must have felt) and he butchered Party Girl, the most boring of their acoustic songs.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 05:44:29 AM »
Back in 1993 my friends and I discussed the possibility of heading over to the UK to catch some Zooropa shows.  Should have done it.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 09:51:18 AM »
- Becoming a serious fan as the Elevation Tour was underway. Wished I'd had the chance to see an arena show.
- Being too bogged down in uni work and other problems to know the U2 By U2 book signing was going ahead in London. At least this saved me from the possibility of coming face to face with them all together and making an idiot of myself. 

Offline flopro

• Party Girl/Boy
  • The Edge is god... Bono's just a decoy...
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »
Going to Vertigo Munich, but not because of the show itself, more the circumstances.

Can you tell more...?

:-) Sie sind ein gnadenlose Monster, herr Pro... It was a series of unlucky coincidences that added up to a catastrophic experience. We travelled to München the night before the concert to line up early in the morning. So we drove 8 hours, then lined up another 8 and through various mishaps I ended up separated from my friends (just a few people behind) and lost my earlybird wristband to theft from another fan, so I couldn't get up front to the stage, while my friends got lucky in that respect. Also because my line at the entrance was about five times as slow as the rest due to some overzealous security people, I watched in agony as the crowd who got there hours after me rushed past. They also started thoroughly checking the printed signs I took with me (had some U2 related one-liners and the main point of which was to help me get onstage to play an acoustic Satellite of Love with the guys), so to get in quicker I just threw it away, since it was already too late for me to be close enough to the stage thanks to them...

Eventually I got in, to an already half filled GA floor (after being roughly the fifth people in line, and after a similar incident at the Wroczlaw show in Poland a month before, but that was due to bad organization).
I got pi**ed off left the stadium and spent the the rest of the wait taking a nice long walk in the Olympia Park. When I got back I don't know why (had a wristband on) but they didn't let me back in on the floor, also confiscated my deodorant :-) so I got stuck on the uppermost, entrance circle of the Olympic Stadium (for non Germans the stadium is built like an amphitheater sunk into the green hills, yes it's pretty).

The only positives were watching the band arrive behind the stage (since you could walk around the stage at the top, and watching the show from the opposite end of the venue where the lightshow was quite nice.

To add insult to injury Bono pulled up a guy to play with them (who wasn't even the guy he wanted to get on stage, but the guy next to that guy, and the guy who Bono originally signalled to went to the previous shows to make it onstage, imagine how he must have felt) and he butchered Party Girl, the most boring of their acoustic songs.

Wow.....

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
PopMart was in a town 40 miles away from me, but I was just getting into U2 and none of my friends would go, so I didn't see that tour. I'll be pi**ed off with myself forever for that. The one good thing that came out of it is that I'm completely willing to go to concerts by myself now. If friends don't come, their loss. I'll also regret not sticking around in Spain for as long as I could have to see 360 at San Sebastian. Had the tickets, went back to the US instead.

I couldn't get my wife to go see Popmart.   I went by myself and had a better time than the previous tour..  Popmart was their best tour IMO, even though I didn't think Pop was that good.   You missed a good one.

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
In 1991 I haven't bought the hungarian vinyl realese of Achtung Baby.

satellitedog01

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 12:29:33 PM »
Ha, I'm Hungarian and didn't know there was a local pressing of the vinyl. I got mine, a German pressing in Berlin.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »
DG reminded me of this the other day. . . my first U2 show was on the Boy tour. A rather small gig. My boyfriend and I were underage, hanging in a club with fake IDs. He was a U2 fan, I was not. He wanted to meet the band after the show but we were intimidated by the largely gay audience (shocking for two kids from the burbs) and the dozen or so people milling about the band after the show, so we left. Probably the last time U2 had that small a group of people around them!

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »
U2 had a gay following in the early days? Or were they playing a gay venue?

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 09:32:25 AM »
not getting to see them on the Vertigo Tour, their ONLY Appearance in Nebraska  :'(  :'( :'( :'( :'(

hrsan

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
Missed TUF tour.  Half of my school went and to this day they say it was the best concert they've ever been to.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
U2 had a gay following in the early days? Or were they playing a gay venue?

They had a pretty big/mainly gay following. This was when they were still considered punk and it went with the territory. At least it did in Philly at the time. From what I have seen at shows after they still have a pretty large gay fan base.