Author Topic: Your u2 related regrets?  (Read 4400 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: Your u2 related regrets?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »
^I've heard that the Boy album cover was part of the reason behind the gay following

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
^I've heard that the Boy album cover was part of the reason behind the gay following

and that's why the USA release got changed to the stretched out silhouettes of the 4 band members

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »

and that's why the USA release got changed to the stretched out silhouettes of the 4 band members

U2's US audience had yet to be defined. This was of course pre-October, etc. The US punk scene absorbed a lot of the gay audience that felt the loss of disco. I remember very mixed audiences for a lot of punk bands when I was into the scene as a teen. The mix of music styles and fans was wildly vibrant and exciting.

Offline Shesgonnadreamoutloud

• Elevated
  • Uncertainty can be a guiding light
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
Not appreciating my 360 show enough  :'(

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »

Uh.....gay people aren't pedophiles. Try again.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »

I know, but I had heard that that could have contributed to it.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »
Well, that's stupid.

The album cover was changed out of fears of pedophilia accusations, but nowhere have I ever seen it suggested that a shirtless child would lead to a gay following. The suggestion is incredibly offensive.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:39:03 PM by Droo »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »

I know, but I had heard that that could have contributed to it.

Yea I've heard this too. I was surprised about the gay/pedophilia connection it seemed like a stretch but it was talked about as a fear.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »
I read this on Wikipedia earlier this summer:

The album's sexual overtones led to its enthusiastic acceptance by gays in American gay clubs shortly after its release. Bono commented on this phenomenon, saying, "First of all we started out and made Boy, which is a sexual LP, and we changed the cover in America to stop any concern there might be about paedophilia and the like, because it was our first album. But import copies got in and, as you know, in America a lot of music is broken in gay clubs and so we had a gay audience, a lot of people who were convinced the music was specifically for them. So there was a misconception if you like."

Awkward...

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
Oh, and U2-related regrets? Not meeting Sama at Baltimore, not being a U2 fan when they came to my state on 360...

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
I always wished I would have bought the tourbook at the Outside Broadcast show I saw.  I had one from the indoor leg, but the graphics were different in the Outside version.  A minor one, but there you go.

Also, while I got to see Bono up close before the show, I technically didn't get to shake his hand.  Wished I had.

Oh, and not that I ever would have gone to a different show, but when I found out he ordered 100 pizzas for the crowd at the show AFTER mine, I wished I had seen that, or that he would have done something more notable at the show I attended.  Both Zoo TV shows were great, mind you--he just didn't do anything in either of them that was particularly noteworthy.

Otherwise?  I skipped the 2nd time 360 came through, after being disappointed with the first one.  I suppose I wish I saw the second rather than the first, since they focused more on the AB material I liked.  Though I did get to see Your Blue Room, which was cool.  As was Ultraviolet.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »
Wait were 100 pizzas actually delivered ?

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
Oh, and U2-related regrets? Not meeting Sama at Baltimore, not being a U2 fan when they came to my state on 360...

I too regret not meeting EC in Baltimore. Luckily that was one U2 regret we got to correct recently. :)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 05:40:15 PM »

I don't think they made 100, but the shop made as many as they could and delivered them to the venue later in the show, I believe.  It was a pretty amazing incident, which I think was even reported by MTV at the time.  The book detailing U2's live shows has a bit on it as well.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »

I don't think they made 100, but the shop made as many as they could and delivered them to the venue later in the show, I believe.  It was a pretty amazing incident, which I think was even reported by MTV at the time.  The book detailing U2's live shows has a bit on it as well.

Yea I figure they wouldn't be able to make enough or took the call as a hoax and never bothered. What show was it? And what book do you mean?