Author Topic: I Can't Believe the News Today  (Read 11364 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
I Can't Believe the News Today
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:09:15 AM »
I would like to point out, even amid my own frustration, that none of what has been reported lately rises to the level of actually credible news. The Italian fansite appealed to a supposed insider at the record company, and then insisted that this anonymously-generated rumor reinforces what the French website said about the new album dropping in March of next year. But as I pointed out yesterday (and was the first to do it), nothing in the French article even mentioned the album coming out in 2014. So the fact that this Italian site appealed to the prior article as a source tells me that they don't read French any better than the people at @U2 who posted the French article with the misinformation in it about the album's delay.

I'm not convinced that the album's coming out this year, but the more I think about it, the less that lack of conviction has to do with anything that has been "reported" over the last 48 hours. We need some critical thinking and fact-checking up in here, is what I'm saying. It's irresponsible to just cut-and-paste articles written in languages we don't speak, which themselves consist of unsubstantiated hearsay.

Relax. Walk out into the street and Breathe. Don't [fret], don't talk out of time. Don't think, don't worry. Everything's just fine.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:03:11 PM by The Exile »

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: I Can't Believe the News Today
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »
That French article translation was definitely misguided. If anything, it argued for a close release.

But I agree. There is a time for keeping our distance, there is a time to turn our eyes away [from bad press releases], there is a time to get on with our day.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:36:18 AM by singnomore »

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 05:31:04 AM »
Totally lazy and irresponsible reporting by a so called reputable website,should spend more time upgrading the site ,then throwing out hearsay and so called empty sources,what's next an interview with bono's cleaner?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:36:49 AM by singnomore »

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 05:53:03 AM »
Yeah, well said Exile. The reason we are all getting so frustrated is because we're all way past when we expected to hear proper, official, and big news. So we are susceptible even to the indistinct whispers circulating at the moment. U2 should just say something. They said they'd be finishing the album by the end of Summer. Well that's 10 days away and there's not a peep. Initially, August was even suggested as a potential *release* time, if I remember correctly, and credibly so. IF the album is not released this year, U2 will have made a big mistake. Bono thinks they're in a dream. They're not in a dream. The music industry and the world is wide awake and changing. If they are in a dream, they're sleepwalking and hammering nails into their own coffin. Because to be out of any sort of media for so long is to be signing the application form for irrelevancy.

I also question the (albeit very mild) professional/ethical failure of promising an album release virtually every 6 months for five years running. Talk about stringing out people who support you.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:37:19 AM by singnomore »

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:30:21 AM »
the french article actually confirms that the album will be out before the end of the year
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:37:47 AM by singnomore »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:42:10 AM »
I've a funny feeling that M2 may have his own view on his thread but here's my tuppenceworth. This is a fan site aiming to bring information as and when it arises. The fact that different rumours are being posted that indeed contradict each other is because...they are rumours. The opposite position is to not report and I suspect you would all be questioning about why @U2 isn't picking up the rumours in a timely manner. Likewise when questions were raised about content they were checked and amended on the front page.

I guess if the site isn't doing what you think it should go look elsewhere?

Executioner - to say you have a cheek is a bit of an understatement....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:38:15 AM by singnomore »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
Exile,

Way to integrate some lyrics.

U2 fans just have to learn to be patient. Lets not forget something about time, its not linear. Then the album will be out early next year.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:38:47 AM by singnomore »

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
Hehehe. It's rich that this thread comes from The Exile and that Executioner jumped in so quickly to agree. Funny.

Anyhoo, I obviously can't speak for the Italian site and their sources. (But if memory serves, the European Universal Music reps were correct when they leaked album details before Bomb and/or No Line.) We've contacted our sources, but it's unlikely we'll get a reply with anything newsworthy. People tend to not want to talk to us because the site is noticeable and read by major music media outlets, and things we report get spread.

Speaking for @U2's posts, the online translation that I read of the original French article was not clear what the March 2014 was referring to -- album or tour. If I misread the translation, that's my mistake and I take responsibility. It was not clear as I read it.

I'm sorry if this has ruined your day or your life. And I note the irony in the situation here, where the person who has started a new thread about "shoddy reporting and dubious sources" on a fan site is then telling others to "relax" and "breathe."

As I said, very rich, The Exile. Very rich.

As I've said before, if you're not happy with @U2, we're always willing to refund the money that you've paid for access to the site. You might be happier with the reporting on U2.com, where things are definitely very relaxed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:39:19 AM by singnomore »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hehehe. It's rich that this thread comes from The Exile and that Executioner jumped in so quickly to agree. Funny.

I'm sorry if this has ruined your day or your life. And I note the irony in the situation here, where the person who has started a new thread about "shoddy reporting and dubious sources" on a fan site is then telling others to "relax" and "breathe."

As I've said before, if you're not happy with @U2, we're always willing to refund the money that you've paid for access to the site. You might be happier with the reporting on U2.com, where things are definitely very relaxed.

Geez, oversensitive much?!

My main complaint was that the Italian site sourced the French article, despite the latter not saying what is was reported to have said, and then using it to reinforce more anonymous hearsay.

Should you have picked up on the fact that the French article did not say what you reported it to have said? Yes. But thankfully, I read it and "humbly suggested" that the mods amend what the homepage said. You're welcome for catching that, by the way.

And I kind of don't appreciate being treated like I'm some troll here. When I comment (which is rare compared to many forum members), it's usually either humorous remarks or remarks about U2's music, and when I start topics, they're almost always substantive and well thought-out.

Or perhaps what you're really upset about is the fact that a month or so ago I elected to use the "Report to Moderator" function several times when a certain (banned and now renamed) forum member would highjack threads by pasting pages of tour stats? If clicking that button or pointing out errors on the homepage makes one lose legitimacy with you, then I would suggest you (A) remove the button, and (B) not rely on Google translations of foreign texts.

But I am done with this, at least here. If you'd like to continue offline, please feel free to message me. But I am fine just letting the matter drop.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:01:52 PM by The Exile »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Shoddy Reporting and Dubious Sources
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »

Geez, oversensitive much?!

My main complaint was that the Italian site sourced the French article, despite the latter not saying what is was reported to have said, and then using it to reinforce more anonymous hearsay.

Should you have picked up on the fact that the French article did not say what you reported it to have said? Yes. But thankfully, I read it and "humbly suggested" that the mods amend what the homepage said. You're welcome for catching that, by the way.

And I kind of don't appreciate being treated like I'm some troll here. When I comment (which is rare compared to many forum members), it's usually either humorous remarks or remarks about U2's music, and when I start topics, they're almost always substantive and well thought-out.

Or perhaps what you're really upset about is the fact that a month or so ago I elected to use the "Report to Moderator" function several times when a certain, now renamed, forum member would highjack threads by pasting pages of tour stats? If clicking that button or pointing out errors on the homepage makes one lose legitimacy with you, then I would suggest you (A) remove the button, and (B) not rely on Google translations of foreign texts.

But I am done with this, at least here. If you'd like to continue offline, please feel free to message me. But I am fine just letting the matter drop.

I'm surprised your 'taken aback' by any replies posted bearing in mind the title you choose to use in the topic thread...?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 11:48:46 AM »
If you read my original post and then my response to Matt, you'll see that the object of my criticism was the Italian article and its French source. Unless Matt authored those, he has no reason to feel insulted by what I have said here. My only criticism of @U2 was that you reported false information yesterday. I pointed that out for you, and it was amended.

What's the problem?

Update - I changed the title of the thread to avoid causing any further offense.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:04:13 PM by The Exile »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 12:15:29 PM »
Maybe U2 haven't found diamonds but hardened horse sh** like that scene in the shawshank redemption.

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
Yea... I think the Italian article is just going off of a mistranslated version of the french article. I'm still expecting a late november release.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »
I don't know what to think.

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »
Frustration is kicking in among the faithful,all turning on each other,even the higher powers within the site are getting involved,throwing their orr in,again my mate is deep in the trenches with the band ,and no delay is expected ,it will be this year as predicted,but lets not get carried away by nailing down an exact day,suffice to say, "it won't be long now,hold on"
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:36:05 PM by Executioner »