Author Topic: I Can't Believe the News Today  (Read 11353 times)

Offline big_willy_wonka

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: I Can't Believe the News Today
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hehehe. It's rich that this thread comes from The Exile and that Executioner jumped in so quickly to agree. Funny.

Anyhoo, I obviously can't speak for the Italian site and their sources. (But if memory serves, the European Universal Music reps were correct when they leaked album details before Bomb and/or No Line.) We've contacted our sources, but it's unlikely we'll get a reply with anything newsworthy. People tend to not want to talk to us because the site is noticeable and read by major music media outlets, and things we report get spread.

Speaking for @U2's posts, the online translation that I read of the original French article was not clear what the March 2014 was referring to -- album or tour. If I misread the translation, that's my mistake and I take responsibility. It was not clear as I read it.

I'm sorry if this has ruined your day or your life. And I note the irony in the situation here, where the person who has started a new thread about "shoddy reporting and dubious sources" on a fan site is then telling others to "relax" and "breathe."

As I said, very rich, The Exile. Very rich.

As I've said before, if you're not happy with @U2, we're always willing to refund the money that you've paid for access to the site. You might be happier with the reporting on U2.com, where things are definitely very relaxed.

Even funnier that you dismiss someone's opinion by posting a sarcastic reply. It's not really an acceptable 'catch all' response just because someone has the temerity to disagree with a 'moderator'. If Exiles response had been posted to anyone else it wouldn't have been an issue. If you have a problem with hosting a free site then perhaps you should flag that in your terms and conditions.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:54:38 PM by big_willy_wonka »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2013, 10:56:42 PM »

For any late participants to the topic and who may be wondering what's going on - the thread title (which I think provoked the responses) has subsequently changed and likewise I think it's been moved on from.

I refer again to the above. For those late posters Exile changed the thread title (by his own free will) so the context of the discussion is not as clear now.

It wasn't a disagreement but a point of view on the quality of reporting and m2 took the opportunity to respond.

I may be wrong (?) but it happens all over the place here so why the sudden indignation from posters who do it all the time?

Offline big_willy_wonka

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »

For any late participants to the topic and who may be wondering what's going on - the thread title (which I think provoked the responses) has subsequently changed and likewise I think it's been moved on from.

I refer again to the above. For those late posters Exile changed the thread title (by his own free will) so the context of the discussion is not as clear now.

It wasn't a disagreement but a point of view on the quality of reporting and m2 took the opportunity to respond.

I may be wrong (?) but it happens all over the place here so why the sudden indignation from posters who do it all the time?

Exile was pretty clear (and reasonable) in his responses. You can't have it both ways - either it's a democratic forum or there's one rule for posters and another for moderators.

So with respect you are wrong.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »

Exile was pretty clear (and reasonable) in his responses. You can't have it both ways - either it's a democratic forum or there's one rule for posters and another for moderators.

Wrong about what?

Offline big_willy_wonka

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »

Wrong about what?

Wrong about it happening all over the forum. There can't be one rule for the moderators and another for the posters. Exiles post and subsequent responses were perfectly mature reasonable and logical.

zootv

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »
For what it's worth, I think the mods are pretty fair around here and although I don't always agree with them, they are pretty even handed with everyone.

Offline big_willy_wonka

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
For what it's worth, I think the mods are pretty fair around here and although I don't always agree with them, they are pretty even handed with everyone.

You're right - doesn't change the fact that m2's response was totally unreasonable. Especially given Exiles status as one of the few intelligent and thoughtful posters here.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »

Wrong about what?

Wrong about it happening all over the forum. There can't be one rule for the moderators and another for the posters. Exiles post and subsequent responses were perfectly mature reasonable and logical.

Looking at some of your own posts makes me wonder why you would want to open up the debate about mature, reasonable and logical responses??

That said - to clarify - it happens in certain threads and discussions and not right across the entire forum.

Offline big_willy_wonka

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2013, 03:19:39 PM »

Wrong about what?

Looking at some of your own posts makes me wonder why you would want to open up the debate about mature, reasonable and logical responses??

That said - to clarify - it happens in certain threads and discussions and not right across the entire forum.

I never said I was mature reasonable or logical - I said Exiles posts and subsequent responses were mature reasonable and logical.

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »
Can you guys wait for two minutes? My popcorn's still in the microwave....

;D

zootv

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »

You're right - doesn't change the fact that m2's response was totally unreasonable. Especially given Exiles status as one of the few intelligent and thoughtful posters here.

Exile is an intelligent poster and his initial post on this thread  was fair and reasonable. That being said, M2's response was fair and reasonable as well. Exile called for fact checking and was critical of the article being posted, and Matt basically told him and I'm paraphrasing here : "Hey this is a free site. If it bothers you that much then go elsewhere". Both fair and reasonable posts.

zootv

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »
This is by far the best U2 site on the web and it's free. I think the @u2 staff does a great job providing a free service and many of us, myself included at times, do a lot of bitching and moaning for something that we don't pay for. I can certainly understand M2's frustration when some members are critical of a 100% free site, and a very good one at that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:47:57 PM by zootv »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
These are minor dust ups. Fans' patience is waining, the band is keeping mum.

All faith will be restored.....SOON

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
I Can't Believe the News Today
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »
Thx for the kind words, zootv et al.

As singnomore has pointed out, the title of this thread has changed (twice, right?) and so late-comers are missing out on some important context specific to this thread. Then there's also other forum context from the past that no one needs to know about, but that obviously plays into how conversations develop today. While some of you continue to bring this up, the rest of us have moved on. Recommend you do the same.

I'd like to respond to this comment:

You can't have it both ways - either it's a democratic forum or there's one rule for posters and another for moderators.

Wonka, let me be clear about this:

This forum is a private community. This is not, never was, and never will be a democracy. No one who joins the forum gets to vote on who the owner is, who the moderators are, what the rules are, etc. When you join the forum, you're presented with the forum rules that we've chosen to live by as a community. You can either agree to live by them, too, and continue to use the forum ... or you can disagree and stop using the forum. But you don't get to vote.

Is there one set of rules for mods and another for users? If you want to get technical about it, sure. I own the site. I can be a complete ar*****e in here as much as I want and no one can stop me. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Of course, if I actually behaved that way, or if the moderators behaved that way, forum membership and activity would dwindle to nothing and the community would die. The opposite is what's happening. And because we've seen a surge in new members and posts in the last couple months -- and because that's only going to continue as U2 gets more active with its album and tour -- the mods (and I) are being more pro-active about making sure this forum offers the kind of welcoming environment that new users deserve.

We've reached our limit of allowable snark and general crap from the 1% of users that think they own this place, think the rules don't apply to them, or assume we'll keep giving them multiple chances because they're a "celebrity" forum member (gag). We've also reached the limit of having members constantly tell us how we should be running things. (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) The vast majority (i.e., 99%) of our members over the years have managed to enjoy the community we've built here and participate productively within the rules as they're written. This is a GREAT place to visit when the 1% aren't dragging it down for everyone else. After we get our new mods on board, we'll be rewriting the forum rules to reflect this. The vast majority of forum members won't be affected by that.

I think we're extremely fair and patient with everyone when it comes to how we moderate -- i.e., enforcing rules, giving second (and third and fourth) chances, and so forth. Mods from other forums have told us that we're too nice and too inclusive, and maybe there's some truth in that. As always, anyone who doesn't like the rules or how we moderate is welcome to find another U2 fan forum to use.

Now let's see if we can get this back on topic...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:50:02 PM by singnomore »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »
I must admit, there are some forum members whom I'm starstruck by, and if I ever met them in person I'd nervously ask for their autographs.