Author Topic: I Can't Believe the News Today  (Read 11145 times)

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
Re: I Can't Believe the News Today
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can you guys wait for two minutes? My popcorn's still in the microwave....

;D

Ahhhhhhhh, that made me laugh.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »
I must admit, there are some forum members whom I'm starstruck by, and if I ever met them in person I'd nervously ask for their autographs.

You should have asked Bethere while you had the chance. He could have signed his printed out tour stats list, with Popmart Tampa highlighted.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
I Can't Believe the News Today
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »
Is there one set of rules for mods and another for users? If you want to get technical about it, sure. I own the site. I can be a complete a**e***e in here as much as I want and no one can stop me. Sorry, but that's how it is.

for example i dont think anyone else is allowed to use that word.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:49:08 PM by singnomore »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2013, 10:57:15 PM »
Is there one set of rules for mods and another for users? If you want to get technical about it, sure. I own the site. I can be a complete a**e***e in here as much as I want and no one can stop me. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Nope and amended - like everyone else these are amended once picked up.

I'm assuming that's everyone done now is it?

Offline big_willy_wonka

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2013, 01:04:18 AM »
Thx for the kind words, zootv et al.

As singnomore has pointed out, the title of this thread has changed (twice, right?) and so late-comers are missing out on some important context specific to this thread. Then there's also other forum context from the past that no one needs to know about, but that obviously plays into how conversations develop today. While some of you continue to bring this up, the rest of us have moved on. Recommend you do the same.

I'd like to respond to this comment:

You can't have it both ways - either it's a democratic forum or there's one rule for posters and another for moderators.

Wonka, let me be clear about this:

This forum is a private community. This is not, never was, and never will be a democracy. No one who joins the forum gets to vote on who the owner is, who the moderators are, what the rules are, etc. When you join the forum, you're presented with the forum rules that we've chosen to live by as a community. You can either agree to live by them, too, and continue to use the forum ... or you can disagree and stop using the forum. But you don't get to vote.

Is there one set of rules for mods and another for users? If you want to get technical about it, sure. I own the site. I can be a complete ar*****e in here as much as I want and no one can stop me. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Of course, if I actually behaved that way, or if the moderators behaved that way, forum membership and activity would dwindle to nothing and the community would die. The opposite is what's happening. And because we've seen a surge in new members and posts in the last couple months -- and because that's only going to continue as U2 gets more active with its album and tour -- the mods (and I) are being more pro-active about making sure this forum offers the kind of welcoming environment that new users deserve.

We've reached our limit of allowable snark and general crap from the 1% of users that think they own this place, think the rules don't apply to them, or assume we'll keep giving them multiple chances because they're a "celebrity" forum member (gag). We've also reached the limit of having members constantly tell us how we should be running things. (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) The vast majority (i.e., 99%) of our members over the years have managed to enjoy the community we've built here and participate productively within the rules as they're written. This is a GREAT place to visit when the 1% aren't dragging it down for everyone else. After we get our new mods on board, we'll be rewriting the forum rules to reflect this. The vast majority of forum members won't be affected by that.

I think we're extremely fair and patient with everyone when it comes to how we moderate -- i.e., enforcing rules, giving second (and third and fourth) chances, and so forth. Mods from other forums have told us that we're too nice and too inclusive, and maybe there's some truth in that. As always, anyone who doesn't like the rules or how we moderate is welcome to find another U2 fan forum to use.

Now let's see if we can get this back on topic...

With respect you've pretty much shot yourself in the foot by admitting (and I quote) 'this is not, never was and never will be a democracy'.

Either way I felt your response to Exiles post was unnecessary. As others have pointed out the moderation here is usually pretty reasonable and fair. Your post wasn't (in my opinion). Having that opinion is not breaking the forum rules. Unless there's a caveat about disagreeing with a moderator - in which case there officially is one rule for posters and another for moderators.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2013, 01:33:25 AM »

Nope and amended - like everyone else these are amended once picked up.

I'm assuming that's everyone done now is it?

hopefully the humour came through with my earlier comment.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »
We fight.....all the time.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
I go out for coffee and all hell breaks loose.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »
In all fairness to m2 here, perhaps someone should/could restore the original unedited post and Subject title.   

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
In all fairness to m2 here, perhaps someone should/could restore the original unedited post and Subject title.

The original post has not been changed at all. I changed the title from something having to do with "shoddy reporting" to what it is now. The reason I changed it is that, despite the original post being perfectly clear, some people took offense (as though my point were to criticize @U2, rather than the Italian site citing the French article about the album being delayed until next March [which it does not say]). My only criticism of @U2 had to do with the homepage reporting something the French article never said. To @U2's credit, they amended the homepage accordingly.

Despite being a bit annoyed at the way M2 treated me in his reply, I said that I am fine letting the matter drop, and that if there was anything further that he wanted to discuss, he could message me privately (which he has not done, which I take to mean it's all good in the hood).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:03:08 PM by The Exile »

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2013, 08:19:15 AM »
It's a mafia conspiracy.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2013, 08:37:07 AM »
I think that this is a great site. People that can't handle a little back and forth will never be okay with anything. I hate being wrong just as much as anyone else but if it does happen, I'm more than okay with admitting it and moving on.

I've been a member of this site for years and have never considered leaving it. There are so many more positives on this site (U2Ken, Exile, TumblingDice, Starman, Jick) than negatives (senseless personal attacks and meme/gif posting).

"Let Me In The Sound, Let Me In The Sound"

I can't wait for a new album so we can argue about that :) all part of the journey of being a U2 Fan.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2013, 09:15:07 AM »
I must admit, there are some forum members whom I'm starstruck by, and if I ever met them in person I'd nervously ask for their autographs.

would that be moi???? :D :D :D

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »
With respect you've pretty much shot yourself in the foot by admitting (and I quote) 'this is not, never was and never will be a democracy'.

In my workplace they call that 'management rights.' Just because Matt has 'more rights' they are earned very hard. Doesn't mean that this site isn't democratic. There are presumably many hours of work that bestow that 'extra rights.'

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »

In my workplace they call that 'management rights.' Just because Matt has 'more rights' they are earned very hard. Doesn't mean that this site isn't democratic. There are presumably many hours of work that bestow that 'extra rights.'

So true. It's his site. I don't see anyone else busting their ar*e to create a site we all want to tell each off in.