Author Topic: Are you bothered by all the cameras and phones in use at U2 shows?  (Read 5736 times)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Are you bothered by all the cameras and phones in use at U2 shows?
« on: September 01, 2013, 02:53:36 PM »
In this week's OTR column, I'm writing about some artists (Wilco, Jack White, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and others) that have started asking their fans to NOT take photos, shoot video, or use their smartphones during live shows:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Can you imagine U2 asking fans something like that on the next tour? Or maybe just designating certain sections of the venue as "okay for photos and video"? Or maybe asking fans to put their phones away after the first hour or so?

Obviously anything like that will be extremely tough for a band of U2's size to enforce (Wilco, Jack White and the others play much more intimate shows). But do you think it's something U2 should try to do, or should the shows remain a free-for-all where photos and videos and phones are concerned?

Do all the cameras and phones take away from your enjoyment of the show?

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: Are you bothered by all the cameras and phones in use at U2 shows?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
I'm split on the manner as a whole.

On one hand, you have people like the person in charge of U2gigs who takes pride and is loved by many for the massive amount of good quality video he took of the 360 tour. He helped me and plenty of other U2 fans experience the thrills of a new debuting song or just a good performance who weren't able to get to the show, which is really nice. Its something I even took for granted at one point.

This same fact goes for those who try to take professional, or really quality photos during the tour. I commend them for doing so, and probably have various photos as backgrounds on my computer.

On the flip side, you have those who try at every moment possible to take a photo or video of the band. Half the time, they spend the concert staring through a video screen in order to get an average at best picture, or a low quality video. Now I can't hate on all these people, because sometimes you might want to get a few pics, or a video or 2 (I took one of Zooropa, since I figured it would be a once in a lifetime thing), but sometimes you just need to put the phone down to really enjoy the music. I especially hate those who take pictures and videos solely to prove they were there, although this doesn't happen too often (hopefully).

In reality, U2 is such a massive act where it would be hardpressed to get fans to not record video or take pictures. If they wanted to, I suppose they could acknowledge it once during the show or something, but in a way which doesn't degrade the ones taking the photos and videos.

But all in all, I can't say take photos or videos really takes away from the enjoyment of a show. I think the real matter is how much and the effort given into getting the video and/or picture. If your glued to trying to get a perfect video, you probably aren't enjoying the show as much as you could if you put the device away.

Sometimes the best way is to get lost in the music itself.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »
But surely people have to get a document of their experience to post on social media sites so that all their mates know what an exciting life they're having?

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
But surely people have to get a document of their experience to post on social media sites so that all their mates know what an exciting life they're having?

For a lot of people, this is the case. I even know people like that.

Me? If I'm at a concert, I'm there for the music, nothing else.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 04:12:17 PM »
phones have killed the atmosphere at concerts and other things like footy matches

Offline promans

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
For me, I am totally addicted to photography and U2. I have a different take than most when looking at a concert, or most everything else, when it comes to photography. I went to the U2 360 show in Pittsburgh with photography in mind. I took over 1700 photos during the show. As taken from my blog entry on the event: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Afterwards U2 friends asked me after hearing how many photos I took, “so, did you enjoy the show at all?” My response was something like this, “If I wasn’t photographing during the show, all I would have done was think about photographing it.” I think I was admitting having an addiction.

I go to shows, events, and even family gatherings wanting to photograph whats going on. My view of things, and I love to share them.

I have invested a LARGE amount of time, money, and interest to photography. I am a fan, and I would not be happy with cellphone pictures... I want the best image I can get. I am happiest when I am shooting shooting, listening, enjoying, and figuring out what works. I can't settle. Thats who I am. I admit it.

Have I made money from anything... yes, but nothing close to the amount I have put in to my efforts. I am a fan first, but a photography nut close to second.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »
I remember bringing this up pre the rosebowl show.

Didn't do much when you watch the dvd but I did leave my camera at home too and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would like think at least one of you were with me... ;D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »

Didn't do much when you watch the dvd but I did leave my camera at home too and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would like think at least one of you were with me... ;D

You must have a boring life, where as the rest of the crowd lead lives of exciting experiences.  Do you feel as though you're missing out?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »

You must have a boring life, where as the rest of the crowd lead lives of exciting experiences.  Do you feel as though you're missing out?

Constantly.

What I have started doing when I go to gigs is wearing a pair of glasses I fashioned that distort the view of the stage and constrain it to a small 16:9 section. I have also modified some earplugs that increase the gain of the sound to increase audio clipping. i find it gives me the only TRUE concert experience.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »

Constantly.

What I have started doing when I go to gigs is wearing a pair of glasses I fashioned that distort the view of the stage and constrain it to a small 16:9 section. I have also modified some earplugs that increase the gain of the sound to increase audio clipping. i find it gives me the only TRUE concert experience.

High Def. 8)

Offline Bonolvr

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 01:41:27 AM »
I have an idea. If it's true that U2 has multiple cameras and mics positioned all over the GA area of the stage so the band can record and study each show to perfect their craft then why not release that video footage for each show, at a modest fee, so fans who were actually there can purchase or download these (better quality) images of themselves? Knowing there's already a camera rolling might make everyone put their own mediocre ones down because they know they can go online later and re-experience their favorite moments all over again. I'd pay for that.

[Admin edit: not the place to talk about bootlegs.]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:00:27 PM by m2 »

Offline horizon

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 08:35:43 AM »
I have an idea. If it's true that U2 has multiple cameras and mics positioned all over the GA area of the stage so the band can record and study each show to perfect their craft then why not release that video footage for each show, at a modest fee, so fans who were actually there can purchase or download these (better quality) images of themselves? Knowing there's already a camera rolling might make everyone put their own mediocre ones down because they know they can go online later and re-experience their favorite moments all over again. I'd pay for that.

1. Great idea, U2 would never do that though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:00:55 PM by m2 »

Offline sbrownell

• Babyface
  • The Streets really have no name
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »

Sort of torn on this one.  On the POP Mexico DVD and at every concert I have been to---and that is way back.  BONO has told everyone to take out your cell phones and this creates a Universe of stars.

I'm torn because it DOES take away from the joy of the music.  It DOES take away from the moment itself.

Having said that.  No one is going to stop this.  Technology has surpassed our ability to police.  Most Smart phones have a professional quality ZOOM being offered at this time.  in 12 months the market will be flooded with ZOOM like quality Smartphone that mirror professional photography.

For me.  My next show is all about keeping the mobile in pocket while the band plays.  Other than that---yes it's tourista time!!!

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »
I take pictures during the shows I attended, U2 and other. It's a memento of the concert, more than any T-shirt or merchandise IMO.

Some might obey the "no pics" code, but no way can bands stop this.

It's great some acts have the option of downloading/buying the live recording of the show. When technology advances enough, maybe we'd be able to buy a raw DVD of the show...

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 01:01:39 PM »
Tim C., who I think has a forum account, sent me this link about Prince banning photos at a recent club show in Chicago: