Author Topic: Are you bothered by all the cameras and phones in use at U2 shows?  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Are you bothered by all the cameras and phones in use at U2 shows?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
Prince has also had a big problem with recording devices at his gigs for as long as I can remember. 

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »
It doesn't bother me. I'm there to see the band. I'll take pictures if I want to. I think I'm more upset with the people who sit down during concerts or other events and don't participate.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It doesn't bother me. I'm there to see the band. I'll take pictures if I want to. I think I'm more upset with the people who sit down during concerts or other events and don't participate.

I can't fault everybody who sits down. I had a much older couple behind me when I was in seats, and I knew that they probably didn't want to have to stand for the full 2 hours. But I knew they were really enjoying the show, so I was nice and tried not to block them as much.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »

I can't fault everybody who sits down. I had a much older couple behind me when I was in seats, and I knew that they probably didn't want to have to stand for the full 2 hours. But I knew they were really enjoying the show, so I was nice and tried not to block them as much.

That was very considerate of you, young man.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
Prince has also had a big problem with recording devices at his gigs for as long as I can remember.

Yep. and enforces it.

Even when he was DJing here 'unannounced' in a Melbourne bar last year there were signs up everywhere. Mobile phones or cameras prohibited, offenders evicted.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »
I was listening to a bootlegged Prince aftershow gig from 1995 the other night, and he said: "What I need you to do, besides throwing them cameras down.  This ain't a photo session mother****er."

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »
The audience is just as responsible as the band for the exchange of energy that makes for a great rock concert experience. Every person holding up their phone to record the show is sapping that strength and dragging the show down, whether they know it or not.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:18:20 PM by imaginary friend »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
The audience is just as responsible as the band for the exchange of energy that makes for a great concert experience. Every person holding up their phone to record the show is sapping that strength and dragging the show down, whether they know it or not.

Don't some ancient tribes believe that having their photograph taken captures their soul?   I think I heard that in Crocodile Dundee but I could be wrong.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

Fair enough, although every time someone tells me to sit down at a concert I usually ignore them and sing twice as loud :D

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 12:19:44 AM »
The audience is just as responsible as the band for the exchange of energy that makes for a great concert experience. Every person holding up their phone to record the show is sapping that strength and dragging the show down, whether they know it or not.

Don't some ancient tribes believe that having their photograph taken captures their soul?   I think I heard that in Crocodile Dundee but I could be wrong.

"nah mate, you got a lens cap on! "

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 11:34:47 AM »
Tim C., who I think has a forum account, sent me this link about Prince banning photos at a recent club show in Chicago:

That's overkill IMO. Tossing people out for taking photos (!) is bizzare, and deleting their phone pic is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 10:56:22 AM »
I have an idea. If it's true that U2 has multiple cameras and mics positioned all over the GA area of the stage so the band can record and study each show to perfect their craft then why not release that video footage for each show, at a modest fee, so fans who were actually there can purchase or download these (better quality) images of themselves? Knowing there's already a camera rolling might make everyone put their own mediocre ones down because they know they can go online later and re-experience their favorite moments all over again. I'd pay for that.

[Admin edit: not the place to talk about bootlegs.]

They did do the crowd shots before the show in 2011. But I'm not sure how the video and audio aspect would benefit the band in the end, since plenty of fans document these shows by themselves anyway. In terms of actual pictures, I think a lot of fans enjoy doing that for themselves to show, say, where they were standing or how they took this great picture of Larry or Adam, etc. It wouldn't be the same if it were just a show they downloaded off U2.com (unless they were in it, haha).

I'm one of those who brings a camera to shows and usually tries to take some good pictures when I can, and maybe a video or two. I've done it both ways though where I have no camera or have one with me, and I didn't notice too much of a difference from me enjoying the show or not. It's all comes down to your personal preference and I don't really mind it either way. Some people will go without a camera, but be drunk or stoned, and we don't say anything about that, right?  ;D

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 09:16:14 AM »
Tim C., who I think has a forum account, sent me this link about Prince banning photos at a recent club show in Chicago:

That's overkill IMO. Tossing people out for taking photos (!) is bizzare, and deleting their phone pic is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

It's his show; he sets the rules.

Offline big_willy_wonka

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Filming gigs on phones is just another symptom of the ridiculous age we live in. I'm personally not bothered but it's a bit sad that people are more interested in posting crap on Facebook and twitter rather than just enjoying the gig.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 04:24:24 PM »
Filming gigs on phones is just another symptom of the ridiculous age we live in. I'm personally not bothered but it's a bit sad that people are more interested in posting crap on Facebook and twitter rather than just enjoying the gig.

I suppose it's marginally better than spending the gig actually checking Facebook and Twitter on their phones.