Author Topic: Are you bothered by all the cameras and phones in use at U2 shows?  (Read 5734 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Re: Are you bothered by all the cameras and phones in use at U2 shows?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Filming gigs on phones is just another symptom of the ridiculous age we live in. I'm personally not bothered but it's a bit sad that people are more interested in posting crap on Facebook and twitter rather than just enjoying the gig.

I suppose it's marginally better than spending the gig actually checking Facebook and Twitter on their phones.

oh, there's plenty of those idiots at gigs, too, at least here in the States.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 06:56:06 AM »
I suppose it's marginally better than spending the gig actually checking Facebook and Twitter on their phones.

I'd be shocked if people can even get 3G reception in some of those venues!  ;D

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 07:06:28 AM »
I just saw Depeche Mode in Brooklyn over the weekend.  We paid for the VIP tickets, which landed us in the 4th row.  I also happened to recently get a new iPod, which has pretty good camera built in.  For all of the complaining I've done about holding up cell phones, there I was with the rest of them, snapping away.  I won't lie, it's a thrill when the band is THAT CLOSE, and there's a desire to capture that moment forever, even though it inevitably doesn't hold up.  So I don't know.  I think (or hope) there's a degree of obnoxiousness that I didn't reach--I wasn't trying to record the entire show, just a couple of pics for different songs.  But I can see how quickly it can run away from you.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 08:48:33 AM »
I just saw Depeche Mode in Brooklyn over the weekend.  We paid for the VIP tickets, which landed us in the 4th row.  I also happened to recently get a new iPod, which has pretty good camera built in.  For all of the complaining I've done about holding up cell phones, there I was with the rest of them, snapping away.  I won't lie, it's a thrill when the band is THAT CLOSE, and there's a desire to capture that moment forever, even though it inevitably doesn't hold up.  So I don't know.  I think (or hope) there's a degree of obnoxiousness that I didn't reach--I wasn't trying to record the entire show, just a couple of pics for different songs.  But I can see how quickly it can run away from you.

I don't think there's anything wrong in just getting a few choice snaps, especially if you can get up their noses.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
you rang?

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »
Tim C., who I think has a forum account, sent me this link about Prince banning photos at a recent club show in Chicago:

That's overkill IMO. Tossing people out for taking photos (!) is bizzare, and deleting their phone pic is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

It's his show; he sets the rules.

I guess it'd be interesting to hear the legal side of this, in particular confiscating a phone and deleting a picture.

I just think sooner or later someone will slap the artist with a lawsuit.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »
Tim C., who I think has a forum account, sent me this link about Prince banning photos at a recent club show in Chicago:

That's overkill IMO. Tossing people out for taking photos (!) is bizzare, and deleting their phone pic is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I guess it'd be interesting to hear the legal side of this, in particular confiscating a phone and deleting a picture.

There's probably no evidence left after the goons have crushed the phones into the ground.

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »
How about the use of cameras and phone in life.   The only person that cares about what you are doing, where you are, who you are with, what you are eating, how your new hair and clothes look is you.  So quit bragging to the rest of the world and leave us alone. I guess chat rooms and message boards should be included.  You live in your moment and I will live in mine.  That sounds like a U2 lyric, so I am trade-marking it. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »
You live in your moment and I will live in mine.

Nice one.  I have made a note of that and I intend to use it in conversation.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »
I like that shows are more documented now then they ever were, but this does tend to bother me a bit. I will take some photos but I don't do it for the majority of the show.

People that sit/aren't interested in the show bug me more though. Heck, I wrote my speech in my public speaking class on people who sit during concerts and how it bugs me.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 10:47:47 PM »

It used to be standard operating procedure at most Detroit venues (and probably everywhere else in America) for years. Some bands would have a warning read to the crowd from the stage before they came on; KI$$ is the first band that comes to mind.If they saw a flash go off, the hunt was on...and, if they caught you, they'd remove the film from our camera and hand the camera back to you. If you didn't agree to that, you'd get thrown out.

Offline big_willy_wonka

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 01:11:05 AM »
Filming gigs on phones is just another symptom of the ridiculous age we live in. I'm personally not bothered but it's a bit sad that people are more interested in posting crap on Facebook and twitter rather than just enjoying the gig.

That's true - however as a man who goes to a lot of gigs here in London I can confirm there are usually plenty of people posting vacuous rubbish on social media. It's up to them I suppose - personally I wouldn't spend good money on a ticket if I was going to play with my phone all evening but that's just me. Unless it was a 360 show - but even then a good book was preferable.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 04:59:07 AM »
You live in your moment and I will live in mine.

Nice one.  I have made a note of that and I intend to use it in conversation.

You fight your wars, I fight for my life
You pay your dues and I will pay mine.

;-)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »

That's true - however as a man who goes to a lot of gigs here in London I can confirm there are usually plenty of people posting vacuous rubbish on social media. It's up to them I suppose - personally I wouldn't spend good money on a ticket if I was going to play with my phone all evening but that's just me.

How do you think teenage lads who take their girlfriends to a One Direction concert get through the show?

Offline big_willy_wonka

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »

That's true - however as a man who goes to a lot of gigs here in London I can confirm there are usually plenty of people posting vacuous rubbish on social media. It's up to them I suppose - personally I wouldn't spend good money on a ticket if I was going to play with my phone all evening but that's just me.

How do you think teenage lads who take their girlfriends to a One Direction concert get through the show?

They play pocket billiards looking at the security guys