Author Topic: Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!  (Read 21495 times)

Offline Macawaca

• Babyface
Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!
« on: September 02, 2013, 07:48:11 AM »
Jeeeez, just listened to it, right at the end around 20 minute mark, sounds like 2014 itself is even optimistic at this stage! And that's not a joke either! When Kenny asked him whether the band were recording or had finished or were ready to release a record it sounded like Bono had to remind himself who U2 were FFS! It was the most waffly answer I've ever heard from him. Well pi**ed off! FFS

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 08:23:23 AM »
Here's the link to the interview:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 08:38:45 AM »
It's a very waffly answer. No sense from the band to a schedule commitment or anything.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »
Quote: We're nearly there. I think, though this can change, there's no sense from the band to any commitment to any release...schedule...to anything. They just wanna be really....make some great music..but I think we're nearly there and once were there well know it. I would like to think that next year there will be a U2 release. It sounds like we've been fastened?! Around but what appended is we just got lost in the music and went back to why we wanted to be in a band in the first place....to listen to the music of the mid 70s punk rock, electronic, we're really sort of beginning again, I mean I know we do this periodically but you have to and so it's very different, very fresh sound, and some beautiful songs, some big hooks, and yeah, you'll be sick of it. I hope.

Offline edgeplorer

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »
There has been a lot of waiting for this next album maybe many too much waiting, but this album will not be a crap album, this album will be: (insert name here)

I hope they are doing something really good, and it's worth waiting.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:21:48 AM »
sounds to me that its either bono struggling to find words to tell a lie to cover that they dont want to give anything away for a sudden release - or (and more likely) the creative tank is running on empty..... I mean how long does it take to make a record, or if you really have got these great songs then you get them released - its not as if this record is a quick follow up to the last one

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »
sounds to me that its either bono struggling to find words to tell a lie to cover that they dont want to give anything away for a sudden release - or (and more likely) the creative tank is running on empty..... I mean how long does it take to make a record, or if you really have got these great songs then you get them released - its not as if this record is a quick follow up to the last one
Maybe it doesn't fit into your time schedule,but they are not under any obligation to put it out,just because some obsessed fans who have little else in their musical world going on,ever consider there could be private personal reasons for delays ,timing is everything when a band as big as U2 release an album ,touring ,promotional activities,and this year has seen a huge resurgence in pop music which is not a good climate in which to release a rock album,yeah the hardcore will buy it,but after the commercial failure of noloth by u2 standards (,any other band could only dream of those type of sales),nothing can be left to chance.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »
They want to get it right. Simple as that.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 12:15:14 PM »
Maybe it doesn't fit into your time schedule,but they are not under any obligation to put it out,just because some obsessed fans who have little else in their musical world going on,ever consider there could be private personal reasons for delays ,timing is everything when a band as big as U2 release an album ,touring ,promotional activities,and this year has seen a huge resurgence in pop music which is not a good climate in which to release a rock album,yeah the hardcore will buy it,but after the commercial failure of noloth by u2 standards (,any other band could only dream of those type of sales),nothing can be left to chance.

For the love of all that's holy, and for the sake of the Queen's English, please learn how to punctuate with a comma. You used like eleven of them in that paragraph and you did it wrong eleven times.

Someone had to say it....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:26:07 PM by The Exile »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »
Marvellous, bloody marvellous!

zootv

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »

For the love of all that's holy, and for the sake of the Queen's English, please learn how to punctuate with a comma. You used like eleven of them in that paragraph and you did it wrong each and every time.

+ 1

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »

For the love of all that's holy, and for the sake of the Queen's English, please learn how to punctuate with a comma. You used like eleven of them in that paragraph and you did it wrong eleven times.

others have said it before, he doesn't care to use it correctly. simple answer? block user.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »

Sorry my friend, but I gotta call you out as far as a Pop music environment not being a good climate for a rock / U2 release. When ATYCLB was released in 2000, Pop music was at it's height for the 90's, ala Britany, Christina, N'sync, Backstreet boys...I could go on.

U2 were critically and commercially down and out from their last effort POP ( great album BTW ) and had the odds stacked against them. And guess what? They released ATYCLB and had a multi platinum, radio hit filled album that garnered them major critical and commercial success, in spite of all the bubble gum, tweeny bopper music. In my opinion, when the radio is dominated by a certain brand of music, it creates a yearning for something that is not status quo in sound or substance. Whether or not people here like ATYCLB, U2 where able to make an impression and if not totally, at least partially, reclaim their spot in the world of music.

We've seen the evidence that Danger Mouse can extract quality music from bands that is full of big hooks and big songs. If I were U2, I wouldn't give two "bleeps" about what Selena Gomez is releasing or what Miley Cyrus is "Twerking" on. If U2 had shown up unannounced to the VMA's and played a new, quality song, they would have been the talk of the town.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:42:22 PM by KenpoMatt »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »

Sorry my friend, but I gotta call you out as far as a Pop music environment not being a good climate for a rock / U2 release. When ATYCLB was released in 2000, Pop music was at it's height for the 90's, ala Britany, Christina, N'sync, Backstreet boys...I could go on.

U2 were critically and commercially down and out from their last effort POP ( great album BTW ) and had the odds stacked against them. And guess what? They released ATYCLB and had a multi platinum, radio hit filled album that garnered them major critical and commercial success, in spite of all the bubble gum, tweeny bopper music. In my opinion, when the radio is dominated by a certain brand of music, it creates a yearning for something that is not status quo in sound or substance. Whether or not people here like ATYCLB, U2 where able to make an impression and if not totally, at least partially, reclaim their spot in the world of music.

We've seen the evidence that Danger Mouse can extract quality music from bands that is full of big hooks and big songs. If I were U2, I wouldn't give two "bleeps" about what Selena Gomez is releasing or what Miley Cyrus is "Twerking" on. If U2 had shown up unannounced to the VMA's and played a new, quality song, they would have been the talk of the town.
+1

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »
So all our thoughts about a stealth album been dropped like Bowie have just gone up in smoke. He seemed a bit unsure about the whole thing which is worrying. I think they are short of a couple of singles and are holding out. Somethings out of place here. Im thinking the album should have come out this year and they have got cold feet at the 11 hour. Im mean dangermouse cant hang on forever can he? Isnt he moving on to a different project?