Author Topic: Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!  (Read 21174 times)

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
Re: Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
nice try guys but I wasn't referring to mods. users can block users without a mod doing an ip ban. it may be in exiles best interests to block executioner if the over comma'ing is as annoying to him and it was to me.

I see.

All the same, you seem clued up about how things work around here, so why don't you apply to be a mod?

*scanning for sarcasm*

I guess I wasn't aware they want mods. And i'm pretty sure M2 doesn't like me after, yes, once saying I didn't get why mods tolerate the "I have inside info!" threads from users like BeThere, etc.

Yeah, there's probably more chance of President Obama appointing Sarah Palin Secretary of State.

I'm assuming they have dropped out of 5 potential albums by now???

These albums only existed in the minds of some fans.

But to be fair, it has also been stated by various members of the U2 family that the existence of multiple albums worth of material. If you count spiderman (i know many of us don't count this as new U2 music)) that would be 4.

I think it is fair to ask for a single, just give us a single...on U2.com...
"Sorry to keep you all waiting as we 'stay in music'. This gem is one we have finished and for you our faithful fan, enjoy! Stay tuned."

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2013, 04:09:11 PM »
My only confusion throughout this whole process is Gavin Friday claiming to have heard the album. At this point, I am not expecting anything this year, quite possibly until summer next year.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »
sounds to me that its either bono struggling to find words to tell a lie to cover that they dont want to give anything away for a sudden release - or (and more likely) the creative tank is running on empty..... I mean how long does it take to make a record, or if you really have got these great songs then you get them released - its not as if this record is a quick follow up to the last one
Maybe it doesn't fit into your time schedule,but they are not under any obligation to put it out,just because some obsessed fans who have little else in their musical world going on,ever consider there could be private personal reasons for delays ,timing is everything when a band as big as U2 release an album ,touring ,promotional activities,and this year has seen a huge resurgence in pop music which is not a good climate in which to release a rock album,yeah the hardcore will buy it,but after the commercial failure of noloth by u2 standards (,any other band could only dream of those type of sales),nothing can be left to chance.

So the album isnt 'trust me its out this year' then?

Personally thats ok with me as I am more excited by the imminent new placebo album after the excellent battle for the sun - and if waiting for u2 to release for a few more months means we get better and braver than the s***e they served up in the 00's then i'm happy
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:14:53 PM by singnomore »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »
sounds to me that its either bono struggling to find words to tell a lie to cover that they dont want to give anything away for a sudden release - or (and more likely) the creative tank is running on empty..... I mean how long does it take to make a record, or if you really have got these great songs then you get them released - its not as if this record is a quick follow up to the last one
Maybe it doesn't fit into your time schedule,but they are not under any obligation to put it out,just because some obsessed fans who have little else in their musical world going on,ever consider there could be private personal reasons for delays ,timing is everything when a band as big as U2 release an album ,touring ,promotional activities,and this year has seen a huge resurgence in pop music which is not a good climate in which to release a rock album,yeah the hardcore will buy it,but after the commercial failure of noloth by u2 standards (,any other band could only dream of those type of sales),nothing can be left to chance.

So the album isnt 'trust me its out this year'

+1

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »
It's like a girl that you are in love with but she won't commit. At some point you move on and when you see her again years later, no matter how beautiful, you feel nothing because you've been toyed with so much that to recommit means feeling to much pain...I'm moving on.

Okay, a little drama but you get the point. I'm out!

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »

For the love of all that's holy, and for the sake of the Queen's English, please learn how to punctuate with a comma. You used like eleven of them in that paragraph and you did it wrong eleven times.

Someone had to say it....

others have said it before, he doesn't care to use it correctly. simple answer? block user.

That's rich coming from you,can never understand the bile that you post,did you ever here of starting a sentence with a capital letter?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:21:44 PM by singnomore »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
Hahahahahahahaha, wow - Bono's words on the new album have just gone from completely unreliable to gospel on this forum. Will wonders never cease?

Offline The Slow Loris

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »
It's like a girl that you are in love with but she won't commit. At some point you move on and when you see her again years later, no matter how beautiful, you feel nothing because you've been toyed with so much that to recommit means feeling to much pain...I'm moving on.

Okay, a little drama but you get the point. I'm out!

What if that same girl, years later, asked you to take her home? When the new U2 album comes out, I imagine you will be in love again ;)

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2013, 05:29:29 PM »
The reality is, they've reached the end... they know it, and they're fighting against it. Maybe their biggest problem is that they stopped enjoying themselves as a band??? If they're in it for the love of the music, then make music that they love, and people who also love it will buy the music. It seems to me they're being contrived in finding music that they think other people might like??? Who really knows. I just wish they would stop being so calculated: put out some music that THEY love... think Bruce Springsteen and Pearl Jam, these guys don't make an album that must get a Grammy for album of the year... they put out music that they love... and surprise: people buy it!

That said... it has only been just over two years since their tour ended. I don't really count time between albums... and as for all the talk about music during those magic 2.5 years... well, sometimes things look awesome when you're in the circus, but a little less so when the party's over.

If I was their producer, my daily mantra to them would be: MAKE THE MUSIC YOU WANT TO HEAR. Unfortunately, it seems they've not been doing that.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
Maybe U2 do make the music they want to hear, and have always done so.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
This is sad. My sense is that they've spent so long considering it...and they've dabbled here and there in the studio on it (I mean come on, does anyone really think they spend a concerted time on it)... that they are suddenly completely a loss at what they are doing. As a bit part film maker, you sometimes get like this when you've been editing for too long. Bono sometimes says they are losing themselves in the music. Well sometimes just that can happen. You can get lost.
Finally and most sadly, I've made this point for sometime...I get no sense of the band as a unit anymore. They spend so much time apart...and when you do see them... its just Bono and the Edge joined at the hip. I have no sense Larry is close to Bono right now. And Adam...could be just in love. Who knows.
Next year feels optimistic if they are lost right now. Which means, this could be a long break. This could be the end of the line.
No line on the horizon eh... No album on the horizon.
OK, that was cheesy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:38:09 PM by BalconyTV »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
U2 have always been mates, with or without the music, unlike, say, the Rolling Stones.

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »
Maybe U2 do make the music they want to hear, and have always done so.

Maybe they do... I suggest their references to staying relevant shows they have an eye on the charts... and in comparison to my two other favourite musicians (Springsteen and Pearl Jam) it just seems completely different. And into the fact that Gavin Friday had heard the new album some months ago, all the other celebs they played the album to earlier this year... and I recall Julian Lennon had heard the new music late last year... they fact they chickened out of the original NLOTH concept (from Lanois)... it all just suggests that this isn't the same creative band that put out Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop. Maybe the backlash of Pop (at least in the US... which always seems to be their primary audience) scared them more than some of us (including me) realised???

I'm not hating... I'm frustrated. This album, in various guises, has been coming out for the past three years... so just put out the music you love to play. And if it takes this long to put out music you love to play... well maybe you're taken the last of the water out of the well???

Got to say, when the album comes out: I will love it, and I will see them on tour. I will find one song in the album that connects with me, and I hope others do too. There will be some songs on the album I don't necessarily like, but 5 years on it will be a song I love. For example... Playboy Mansion... could never really dig it, but listened to it the other day and I now love the groove and realised the lyrics are very deep and insightful... maybe the best con they've put out since Zoo TV!

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2013, 06:07:14 PM »
It all seems like smoke and mirrors lately.  Lots of contradictions, conflicting information, weak sources.  What facts do we have?  Didn't Paul McG say by the end of the year?  Larry too?  Gavin said he heard the new record...who else said that?  Lillywhite quote wasn't a direct quote....someone tweeted an alleged conversation.  Bono is being vague, to say the least.  Maybe this is an attempt to get everyone off their trail to increase the element of surprise.  If they don't drop new music till 2014, well....that'll suck but I'll survive.  I can't keep up with all the new (and old) music anyways. 

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »
At this point, I'm beginning to doubt whether or not we'll ever get a new album. I can legitimately understand pushing it back six months or a year if the band isn't satisfied with it, but three to four years of countless broken (band set) deadlines and no talk even slightly more conclusive or solid than what we were getting three years ago doesn't bode well. I'm saying that if we don't heard anything definitive by June 2014, calling it quits.