Author Topic: Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!  (Read 21498 times)

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
What am I missing in this interview that has many of you swearing that this is the end and not only will they never release a new album, but they are breaking up any minute?  When I listened to it, I felt that Bono didn't seem too distraught about the band and he mentioned more than once that he feels that they're nearly there to getting some new music out there (I'm paraphrasing.)

As for those of you basing everything on your "feeling" that the band aren't friends anymore, Larry and Anne vacationed with Bono and Ali in July, the entire band was in Copenhagen this past weekend for what appeared to be Adam's stag party and the entire band, plus significant others, all arrived together at Heaney's funeral today.  None of that screams "we all hate each other" to me. 

I know that they could decide anything at any moment (breakup, release a new album, take an extended hiatus, etc), but I'm just not buying into the doom and gloom just yet that some of you are swearing by. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
I thought hookers were illegal in Denmark.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2013, 08:23:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At this point, I'm beginning to doubt whether or not we'll ever get a new album. I can legitimately understand pushing it back six months or a year if the band isn't satisfied with it, but three to four years of countless broken (band set) deadlines and no talk even slightly more conclusive or solid than what we were getting three years ago doesn't bode well. I'm saying that if we don't heard anything definitive by June 2014, calling it quits.

Thats going way overboard. Consider this, its only been 2 years and one month since the end of the 360 tour. It took 3 years and 3 months to make the next album after the ZOO TV Tour finished in Tokyo in December 2003.

So they still have 1 year and two months to go before they are in new territory for taking a long time to release a new album after they have finished a tour.

A second thing to consider is that Arthur Fogul their tour promoter has probably told them that if they want to play stadiums again in the United States, they should probably wait to tour until 2015. That would make it four years since their last 360 shows and insure that demand to see U2 is back to maximum demand levels. That suggest a late 2014 release, probably November 2014. Perhaps the tour will kick off in Miami in April 2015. This is probably a good idea if they want to go out again with mega stadium tour and try to break the records they set with 360.

I wouldn't start to worry about the bands future unless they get to the end of 2014 and are still like, playing around with no release date in mind at all.

One alternative would be to break up U2 and form a new band under a different name. Perhaps that way they would feel they could have the freedom to express themselves without being judged for quality or sales, sort of like they did with Passengers.

I'm a little surprised there is not going to be a release this year, but there should definitely be a release by the end of 2014. If there is not, then you can start to sound the alarm bells that the band is breaking up, run out of gas, or make take several more years before they release what they think is the "perfect album".

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »
That reminds me, I noticed an indentation on my car yesterday.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:50:09 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »
I don't think they are looking to do stadiums this time in the US. In Europe they HAVE to, so I'm thinking the tour will start middle of next year in Europe in stadiums and American arenas in Sep-Oct-Nov.

Offline BradyMagic

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2013, 09:09:11 PM »
Sorry to say but this is pathetic. Just pathetic. They've promised a new album for so long and my patience has worn thin so I'm simply not going to bother with them anymore. I think they've taken fans for a ride. I mean come on -- will be 5 years since the last album and then it was 4.5 years before that. A joke.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2013, 09:18:01 PM »
I don't tend to mind, I think people will be more willing to hear about the band the longer they wait. Maybe not the hardcore fans

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2013, 10:25:26 PM »
Maybe it doesn't fit into your time schedule,but they are not under any obligation to put it out,just because some obsessed fans who have little else in their musical world going on,ever consider there could be private personal reasons for delays ,timing is everything when a band as big as U2 release an album ,touring ,promotional activities,and this year has seen a huge resurgence in pop music which is not a good climate in which to release a rock album,yeah the hardcore will buy it,but after the commercial failure of noloth by u2 standards (,any other band could only dream of those type of sales),nothing can be left to chance.

For the love of all that's holy, and for the sake of the Queen's English, please learn how to punctuate with a comma. You used like eleven of them in that paragraph and you did it wrong eleven times.

Someone had to say it....

others have said it before, he doesn't care to use it correctly. simple answer? block user.

That's rich coming from you,can never understand the bile that you post,did you ever here of starting a sentence with a capital letter?

Guys - enough. I think sometimes I try too hard to let the conversation flow. It's been said enough times but leave the modding to the mods please. Executioner I've edited the offending statement from your post.

Right back to the conversation

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2013, 10:31:32 PM »
Maybe it doesn't fit into your time schedule,but they are not under any obligation to put it out,just because some obsessed fans who have little else in their musical world going on,ever consider there could be private personal reasons for delays ,timing is everything when a band as big as U2 release an album ,touring ,promotional activities,and this year has seen a huge resurgence in pop music which is not a good climate in which to release a rock album,yeah the hardcore will buy it,but after the commercial failure of noloth by u2 standards (,any other band could only dream of those type of sales),nothing can be left to chance.

For the love of all that's holy, and for the sake of the Queen's English, please learn how to punctuate with a comma. You used like eleven of them in that paragraph and you did it wrong eleven times.

others have said it before, he doesn't care to use it correctly. simple answer? block user.

That's rich coming from you,can never understand the bile that you post,did you ever here of starting a sentence with a capital letter?

Guys - enough. I think sometimes I try too hard to let the conversation flow. It's been said enough times but leave the modding to the mods please. Executioner I've edited the offending statement from your post.

You forgot to end that last sentence with a period.

[wink]

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »
I'd rather wait another year for a great album than get a half a**ed album now.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:49:21 PM by singnomore »

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2013, 10:48:39 PM »
I'd rather wait another year for a great album than get a half a**ed album now.

Everyone shares that sentiment; it is just that many consider having spent four and a half years on album making, the product wouldn't be "half a**ed".
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:50:29 PM by singnomore »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2013, 10:48:51 PM »

You forgot to end that last sentence with a period.

[wink]

Touché! ;)

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »
I think the real issue at hand is that U2 are absolutely shocking at communicating with their fan base. It simply ends there. A lot of talk is made about the business of U2, and Paul McGuiness etc... but their public relations strategy is... actually, they simply don't have one. The problem is that for about 4 years now we've been told that an album is around the corner (for the pedants, we could reference these if needed)... and now, it seems to have happened again, despite it really seeming like it would happen this time (ie: Larry's statement, Friday's statement etc).

elevation_man

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2013, 11:28:17 PM »
Sorry to say but this is pathetic. Just pathetic. They've promised a new album for so long and my patience has worn thin so I'm simply not going to bother with them anymore. I think they've taken fans for a ride. I mean come on -- will be 5 years since the last album and then it was 4.5 years before that. A joke.

I think you nailed my frustration with this whole next album saga.  I mean, just look at some of the history below which started in early 2009.  Two-Thousand-and-NINE. 

Then I start to think - if there's so much material available with three or four albums going (previously,at least), what's the deal?  How bad do they still want it?  Do they still want it?  Where do you go when you have loads of Grammy awards, several massive world tours, gobs of #1s, millions of fans - what's left?  Are they really all that interested anymore? 

And then the whole "being relevant" thing.  Does it really matter whether they get Top 40 airplay and blow out Robin Thicke from the charts?  Gaga?  Kesha?  Beyonce?  The music world has always been full of throw-away pop that's here today, gone tomorrow.  U2 has never lived in that sugar coated, superficial neighborhood - nor that city, that region, that country, or that planet for that matter.  So why now - at age 50+ - does it matter?  You have a wealth of material that will be consumed by many loyal fans when released that is likely far superior to any Top 40 drivel.  And if a few tracks have any semblance of a hook in them, the songs themselves will likely go outside of the devotees in the fan base.  Because modern day Top 40 is so overcooked and not-so-well done, the world needs more songs more frequently from this band - not a massive hiatus and delay upon delay upon delay.

I guess that bottom line for me is this:  at some level, I feel like I've been slightly jerked around since '09 about the next record.  And part of that is on me for allowing myself to get sucked in to it.  But part of it is on them with various comments (not Bono comments - I know full well to take those with a grain of salt after all these years) from members about a Sept / Oct / Nov / Dec '13 release.

Will I buy the record when it comes out?  Sure - I've been a fan since '84 and don't see stopping now.  Will I catch them on the next tour?  Yeah.  But for now, I am going to take a breather from following this next album adventure until I hear / see / read something which, by all accounts, will likely be in 2014.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2013, 12:40:47 AM »
I think you nailed my frustration with this whole next album saga.  I mean, just look at some of the history below which started in early 2009.  Two-Thousand-and-NINE. 

Then I start to think - if there's so much material available with three or four albums going (previously,at least), what's the deal?  How bad do they still want it?  Do they still want it?  Where do you go when you have loads of Grammy awards, several massive world tours, gobs of #1s, millions of fans - what's left?  Are they really all that interested anymore? 

And then the whole "being relevant" thing.  Does it really matter whether they get Top 40 airplay and blow out Robin Thicke from the charts?  Gaga?  Kesha?  Beyonce?  The music world has always been full of throw-away pop that's here today, gone tomorrow.  U2 has never lived in that sugar coated, superficial neighborhood - nor that city, that region, that country, or that planet for that matter.  So why now - at age 50+ - does it matter?  You have a wealth of material that will be consumed by many loyal fans when released that is likely far superior to any Top 40 drivel.  And if a few tracks have any semblance of a hook in them, the songs themselves will likely go outside of the devotees in the fan base.  Because modern day Top 40 is so overcooked and not-so-well done, the world needs more songs more frequently from this band - not a massive hiatus and delay upon delay upon delay.

I guess that bottom line for me is this:  at some level, I feel like I've been slightly jerked around since '09 about the next record.  And part of that is on me for allowing myself to get sucked in to it.  But part of it is on them with various comments (not Bono comments - I know full well to take those with a grain of salt after all these years) from members about a Sept / Oct / Nov / Dec '13 release.

Will I buy the record when it comes out?  Sure - I've been a fan since '84 and don't see stopping now.  Will I catch them on the next tour?  Yeah.  But for now, I am going to take a breather from following this next album adventure until I hear / see / read something which, by all accounts, will likely be in 2014.

I completely agree. This is one of the best posts I've read on the matter and its sentiment that many fans share at this point.