Author Topic: Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!  (Read 21187 times)

Offline edge245

• Refugee
Re: Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:25 AM »
Come on guys, U2 have only been off the road now for 25 months. It took 40 months off the road from ZOO TV to produce POP. I think the band long ago scrapped the ideas about "Songs Of Ascent".

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2013, 02:58:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think you nailed my frustration with this whole next album saga.  I mean, just look at some of the history below which started in early 2009.  Two-Thousand-and-NINE. 

Then I start to think - if there's so much material available with three or four albums going (previously,at least), what's the deal?  How bad do they still want it?  Do they still want it?  Where do you go when you have loads of Grammy awards, several massive world tours, gobs of #1s, millions of fans - what's left?  Are they really all that interested anymore? 

And then the whole "being relevant" thing.  Does it really matter whether they get Top 40 airplay and blow out Robin Thicke from the charts?  Gaga?  Kesha?  Beyonce?  The music world has always been full of throw-away pop that's here today, gone tomorrow.  U2 has never lived in that sugar coated, superficial neighborhood - nor that city, that region, that country, or that planet for that matter.  So why now - at age 50+ - does it matter?  You have a wealth of material that will be consumed by many loyal fans when released that is likely far superior to any Top 40 drivel.  And if a few tracks have any semblance of a hook in them, the songs themselves will likely go outside of the devotees in the fan base.  Because modern day Top 40 is so overcooked and not-so-well done, the world needs more songs more frequently from this band - not a massive hiatus and delay upon delay upon delay.

I guess that bottom line for me is this:  at some level, I feel like I've been slightly jerked around since '09 about the next record.  And part of that is on me for allowing myself to get sucked in to it.  But part of it is on them with various comments (not Bono comments - I know full well to take those with a grain of salt after all these years) from members about a Sept / Oct / Nov / Dec '13 release.

Will I buy the record when it comes out?  Sure - I've been a fan since '84 and don't see stopping now.  Will I catch them on the next tour?  Yeah.  But for now, I am going to take a breather from following this next album adventure until I hear / see / read something which, by all accounts, will likely be in 2014.

I completely agree. This is one of the best posts I've read on the matter and its sentiment that many fans share at this point.

+1

Fans deserve better... you know, after all we are still "giving them a great life"!

If the band would somehow decide to change producers during the course of this delay, I would feel sorry for Danger Mouse.  The man's a real sonic genius, and I don't want him to lose his credibility because this.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:10:58 AM by Albono »

Offline zooshoes

• Stateless
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2013, 06:31:04 AM »
U2 should release all of this material they've been working on from Songs of Ascent onwards as a 3-4-5 disc box set. Not as an album but as a compilation of their last 5-6 years in the studio. They should then announce their retirement, play a farewell show in Ireland, put an end to the nonsense ride they've been on since 2004 and hang up their boots. I've loved the band so much throughout the years but it really brings me no sadness to think the time has probably come for them to finish. It's time and that's okay.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2013, 07:26:32 AM »
U2 should release all of this material they've been working on from Songs of Ascent onwards as a 3-4-5 disc box set. Not as an album but as a compilation of their last 5-6 years in the studio. They should then announce their retirement, play a farewell show in Ireland, put an end to the nonsense ride they've been on since 2004 and hang up their boots. I've loved the band so much throughout the years but it really brings me no sadness to think the time has probably come for them to finish. It's time and that's okay.
I've often thought the delay is because they are actually thinking about this on and off, but they can't quite bring themselves to do it. Larry's comments on his acting career are a case in point.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »
At this point, I am wondering if there will be a new album at all?

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:11 AM »
I see what people are waying now as being nothing more than social media providing you with a false impression of the band. They are all hard-workers. However, they party hard as they always did, its just now that we see photos of that partying shoved in our faces.

I agree that there is tension, and the Edge's marraige to an American is part of that, but I don't see anything as bad as the 1982 religion split, the fall-out over the decision to 'dream it all up again' in 1990, or Edges child having cancer in 2006.

We know they have a LOT of unreleased material, going all the way back to the 2006 Rick Rubin sessions, the 2010/11 Songs of ascent sessions, the RedOne sessions in 2011, and the current sessions.

But if Anything, I think their cohesiveness will improve in the next few years. Bono, Edge and Larry all have kids, and family life has consumed a lot of their energies for the last 20 years, which explains the drop-off in productivity after Achtung Baby, but those kids are growing up. All three of them have oldest kids in their 20's and youngest kids in their early teens, so it's conceivable that family commitments will actually drop in the next few years.

I do think that Adam's wedding might have contributed to the decision to delay the album, but I don't believe for one minute that there will not be an album. I think they have another productive decade ahead of them, and that a lot of the suppressed material will see the light of day once they feel they're ready.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »
At this point, I am wondering if there will be a new album at all?

I am certain there will be an album next year.

Many fans both here and elsewhere, have been complaining about no new album. I agree the length of time has stretched out considerably, and it is not helpful at all, when the band members occasionally mention a new album, a double album, 3 albums in the can etc.

However, any band will release when,  the songs are ready, I have no issue with that.
This is U2, they are notoriously critical of themselves, and want to release a great album, who would not be in favour of that.
Clearly they feel that the material recorded is not good enough to put out now. Would it not be worse, if they released a few substandard albums which they were not happy with, which would effectively kill off the band ?

U2 don't owe me, or their fans anything, except to release the best material they can, so why, when they attempt to do this do they get an avalance of "They don't care about their fans".

While I would love to see them do an indoor tour around Europe (after a 21 year absence from playing any indoor venues around Europe - bar the "Elevation" European leg tour), they will decide the format of the tour, not me, and not any fans.

One has to accept that, we are only passengers in a bus called U2, we have zero control over what happens when we get onboard, we don't know where we are going, or how we are getting there. But it's been an incredible ride so far. You can of course get off this bus anytime you want, but i'll be staying on board for another while.

Maybe a revision of the onboard bus policy, of  false and misleading announcements by the driver and crew need to be addressed !

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:02:28 AM by Falling At Your Feet »

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2013, 09:58:49 AM »
I see what people are waying now as being nothing more than social media providing you with a false impression of the band. They are all hard-workers. However, they party hard as they always did, its just now that we see photos of that partying shoved in our faces.

I agree that there is tension, and the Edge's marraige to an American is part of that, but I don't see anything as bad as the 1982 religion split, the fall-out over the decision to 'dream it all up again' in 1990, or Edges child having cancer in 2006.

We know they have a LOT of unreleased material, going all the way back to the 2006 Rick Rubin sessions, the 2010/11 Songs of ascent sessions, the RedOne sessions in 2011, and the current sessions.

But if Anything, I think their cohesiveness will improve in the next few years. Bono, Edge and Larry all have kids, and family life has consumed a lot of their energies for the last 20 years, which explains the drop-off in productivity after Achtung Baby, but those kids are growing up. All three of them have oldest kids in their 20's and youngest kids in their early teens, so it's conceivable that family commitments will actually drop in the next few years.

I do think that Adam's wedding might have contributed to the decision to delay the album, but I don't believe for one minute that there will not be an album. I think they have another productive decade ahead of them, and that a lot of the suppressed material will see the light of day once they feel they're ready.

This.

This is where I'm at. Bummed, but I don't expect them to break up anytime soon, and I do expect another album.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
I think codeguy has hit the nail on the head. I Believe the album is finished, done and dusted and probably just waiting for a few final tweaks and adjustments here and there. Think about some of the quotes we've heard from gavin friday, chris blackwell and others (stipe) who've all said they've heard the album.

I have only recently heard that adam is getting married soon, so it sort of makes sense that he at least doesn't want to go into 'album promotion mode' and then a lengthy tour in the immediate future. he probably wants to relax on honeymoon somewhere and forget about u2 for a while.

My hunch is that adam has pulled the plug on the 2013 album release and 2014 tour, and can we honestly blame the guy if he did?  we've all got to realise that the band members have lives outside of u2 and the demands of fans aren't that high up on the priority list. that's life.

Bono isn't going to say, "well the album was ready and we were sorting the tour but adam didn't fancy it this year or early next year 'cos he's gettin hitched, so we had to put everything back six months, sorry fans". that's why i believe we are getting vague and hazy reports about the album. I honestly don't believe they are second-guessing themselves this time. 

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
Hahahahahahahaha, wow - Bono's words on the new album have just gone from completely unreliable to gospel on this forum. Will wonders never cease?

Anyone remember that poll done on this site a few months ago in which Bono's word on the next album was voted least reliable? If you could read your posts through my eyes, you'd all be like this: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »
I think codeguy has hit the nail on the head. I Believe the album is finished, done and dusted and probably just waiting for a few final tweaks and adjustments here and there. Think about some of the quotes we've heard from gavin friday, chris blackwell and others (stipe) who've all said they've heard the album.

I have only recently heard that adam is getting married soon, so it sort of makes sense that he at least doesn't want to go into 'album promotion mode' and then a lengthy tour in the immediate future. he probably wants to relax on honeymoon somewhere and forget about u2 for a while.

My hunch is that adam has pulled the plug on the 2013 album release and 2014 tour, and can we honestly blame the guy if he did?  we've all got to realise that the band members have lives outside of u2 and the demands of fans aren't that high up on the priority list. that's life.

Bono isn't going to say, "well the album was ready and we were sorting the tour but adam didn't fancy it this year or early next year 'cos he's gettin hitched, so we had to put everything back six months, sorry fans". that's why i believe we are getting vague and hazy reports about the album. I honestly don't believe they are second-guessing themselves this time. 

I highly doubt Adam has that much pull in the band. He's along for the ride, not driving the bus.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »
Hahahahahahahaha, wow - Bono's words on the new album have just gone from completely unreliable to gospel on this forum. Will wonders never cease?

Anyone remember that poll done on this site a few months ago in which Bono's word on the next album was voted least reliable? If you could read your posts through my eyes, you'd all be like this: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

This is silly, I think. It's perfectly consistent to say that when Bono is predicting a new album he is being overly optimistic, but when he is talking about a delay he is being perfectly realistic.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »

This is silly, I think. It's perfectly consistent to say that when Bono is predicting a new album he is being overly optimistic, but when he is talking about a delay he is being perfectly realistic.

Classic behaviour of a guy who likes building up people's hopes and then crushing them.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2013, 01:36:43 PM »

I highly doubt Adam has that much pull in the band. He's along for the ride, not driving the bus.

so, if adam doesn't fancy it, do you think they'd go ahead and tour without him? i don't think so. they wouldn't even light his replacement in sydney on the zootv tour, and that was only one night.

i recall an interview adam once gave when he talked about the the dynamics of the band. I remember him saying that they met up prior to the tours and albums and in some instances a band member might say they fancy having a year off or 6 months off to do their own thing. It has obviously happened before and I think with u2 it's either all in or nothing.

My theory with adam and this delay is only a hunch, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »
Adam wouldn't pass up the opportunity of another tour in order to have an extended honeymoon, because he'll need the money to pay for the divorce.