Author Topic: Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!  (Read 21182 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Paddy Kenny RTE interview with Bono - 2014......if we're lucky!
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Adam wouldn't pass up the opportunity of another tour in order to have an extended honeymoon, because he'll need the money to pay for the divorce.

Plus, we can't expect Adam to have to "work" so soon after getting married, can we? Give the poor guy some time to relax and enjoy himself....

Offline Babyface1411

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
Give the poor guy some time to relax and enjoy himself....

more time!?!? :P

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2013, 03:07:47 PM »
This is bad news for U2 fans. Time to place hopes and dreams on something else for a while.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »

[/quote]

Plus, we can't expect Adam to have to "work" so soon after getting married, can we? Give the poor guy some time to relax and enjoy himself....
[/quote]

Now, now. His job has value, it is just different than yours.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2013, 03:14:38 PM »

Absolutely. The grueling work of sleepwalking through a two-hour long set three times a week just ended two years ago. He's only had, like, 730 days since then to lounge around and spend his millions.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2013, 03:21:11 PM »

Absolutely. The grueling work of sleepwalking through a two-hour long set three times a week just ended two years ago. He's only had, like, 730 days since then to lounge around and spend his millions.

He's spent the time productively, growing back all the soft tissue on his fingers.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »

He's spent the time productively, growing back all the soft tissue on his fingers.

Ha ha. Who, us bitter?

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2013, 03:25:21 PM »
This is bad news for U2 fans. Time to place hopes and dreams on something else for a while.
As sad as it seems this may be the case. I know good tunes don't come easy to these guys but after such a long time you would have thought something would be ready now. I know its selfish nostalgia but I really wanted a autumn album just like AB/ ATYCLB/HTDAAB to get me through these winter months then seeing the guys next summer. Bit disappointed.

Offline braxhunt

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash - you make me feel clean
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »
I know I'm getting desperate when I start thinking, "What can I personally do to make this happen more quickly?"

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »
I know I'm getting desperate when I start thinking, "What can I personally do to make this happen more quickly?"

Drink some of the liquor of a group of ornately-dressed, silent, bearded men who are playing nine-pins.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
I think codeguy has hit the nail on the head. I Believe the album is finished, done and dusted and probably just waiting for a few final tweaks and adjustments here and there. Think about some of the quotes we've heard from gavin friday, chris blackwell and others (stipe) who've all said they've heard the album.

I have only recently heard that adam is getting married soon, so it sort of makes sense that he at least doesn't want to go into 'album promotion mode' and then a lengthy tour in the immediate future. he probably wants to relax on honeymoon somewhere and forget about u2 for a while.

My hunch is that adam has pulled the plug on the 2013 album release and 2014 tour, and can we honestly blame the guy if he did?  we've all got to realise that the band members have lives outside of u2 and the demands of fans aren't that high up on the priority list. that's life.

Bono isn't going to say, "well the album was ready and we were sorting the tour but adam didn't fancy it this year or early next year 'cos he's gettin hitched, so we had to put everything back six months, sorry fans". that's why i believe we are getting vague and hazy reports about the album. I honestly don't believe they are second-guessing themselves this time. 

I highly doubt Adam has that much pull in the band. He's along for the ride, not driving the bus.

so, if adam doesn't fancy it, do you think they'd go ahead and tour without him? i don't think so. they wouldn't even light his replacement in sydney on the zootv tour, and that was only one night.

i recall an interview adam once gave when he talked about the the dynamics of the band. I remember him saying that they met up prior to the tours and albums and in some instances a band member might say they fancy having a year off or 6 months off to do their own thing. It has obviously happened before and I think with u2 it's either all in or nothing.

My theory with adam and this delay is only a hunch, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

I don't think they'd go on tour without him, but these plans don't come together in a day either. They've been planning all this out for a long time now. Adams probably known that they were no tour or other commitments during the fall so he planned his wedding accordingly.

I don't think they had plans for an album/tour and Adam came back with "no guys, I'm getting married so lets wait another year". He knows which side the bread is buttered. I highly doubt he'd rock the boat as he puts the least into the band.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »
I think codeguy has hit the nail on the head. I Believe the album is finished, done and dusted and probably just waiting for a few final tweaks and adjustments here and there. Think about some of the quotes we've heard from gavin friday, chris blackwell and others (stipe) who've all said they've heard the album.

I have only recently heard that adam is getting married soon, so it sort of makes sense that he at least doesn't want to go into 'album promotion mode' and then a lengthy tour in the immediate future. he probably wants to relax on honeymoon somewhere and forget about u2 for a while.

My hunch is that adam has pulled the plug on the 2013 album release and 2014 tour, and can we honestly blame the guy if he did?  we've all got to realise that the band members have lives outside of u2 and the demands of fans aren't that high up on the priority list. that's life.

Bono isn't going to say, "well the album was ready and we were sorting the tour but adam didn't fancy it this year or early next year 'cos he's gettin hitched, so we had to put everything back six months, sorry fans". that's why i believe we are getting vague and hazy reports about the album. I honestly don't believe they are second-guessing themselves this time. 

I highly doubt Adam has that much pull in the band. He's along for the ride, not driving the bus.

so, if adam doesn't fancy it, do you think they'd go ahead and tour without him? i don't think so. they wouldn't even light his replacement in sydney on the zootv tour, and that was only one night.

i recall an interview adam once gave when he talked about the the dynamics of the band. I remember him saying that they met up prior to the tours and albums and in some instances a band member might say they fancy having a year off or 6 months off to do their own thing. It has obviously happened before and I think with u2 it's either all in or nothing.

My theory with adam and this delay is only a hunch, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

I don't think they'd go on tour without him, but these plans don't come together in a day either. They've been planning all this out for a long time now. Adams probably known that they were no tour or other commitments during the fall so he planned his wedding accordingly.

I don't think they had plans for an album/tour and Adam came back with "no guys, I'm getting married so lets wait another year". He knows which side the bread is buttered. I highly doubt he'd rock the boat as he puts the least into the band.

I thought that was the drummer.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2013, 05:17:42 PM »
As fans people are of course going to want a new album, especially when it has been a long time since the last one.

For me though I think we just have to accept that U2 are not (and never will be) the creative force they were 20 years ago or even back further than that. They are men in their 50's who are very, very rich, who have been in a band for 30 odd years and who have clearly shown that they are not as good at their chosen art as they once were. These things are understandable and sadly inevitable.

Changes over time, including their own views on music and life in general, their attitudes towards things and their drive are going to affect the process of making music together - in some ways positively, in some negatively.... I also believe that when clashes happen or when the magic isn't happening that they probably have a different attitude and application to how they overcome these challenges and I don't think they would have the relentless energy, will and drive to handle situations like in the making of AB in the same way again and keep going until suddenly that magic is found.

Whilst I do believe those things personally, it does not in my book mean they are "done" or that they won't ever make a great record again - it just means that it will take longer than ever to do so - and also that there is probably a lot more dynamics to deal with that whilst maybe not directly linked to their art has a big effect on it.

Their powers are fading - I have no doubt about that - listening to their last 3 albums tells me that, the magic is sprinkled much, much more sparsely than in the past - but it is still there albeit sitting alongside a lot of mediocrity - if it takes more time to find more magic this time and by doing so provide a lot less mediocrity then it will be worth the wait. U2 themselves IMO are acutely aware of this, and that is why we probably aren't going to hear a new album this year - but if what they have has 5 pieces of magic and 5 slabs of mediocrity and by them working for an extra 6-9 months gives us 8 pieces of magic or even better 9 or 10 then it will have been worth the wait.

I also think that the album followed by monster tour cycle needs to be broken - the 2 year jaunts around the globe drain the band - and will do more so as they get older - U2 have built a phenomenal live legacy - for me they would be better served cementing their recorded legacy even further in the next decade or so - I also think that they actually risk damaging that live legacy with below par performances that are a result of 50 odd year old men playing a schedule that would stretch men 20 years their junior and indeed did when they themselves did it even 20 years ago!

Make some great albums, the albums they want to make - not what they think will hit home with the pop kids - play the shows of course but just play less of them and don't drive each other into the ground with 2 years of hawking a circus around the world.

I would also like to think that U2 would never want to become a total heritage act - some would argue they are well on the way to that.... but if they can't find the magic in the studio anymore then go out at that point and enjoy what they have done.

I don't think they are their yet - but we are going to have to accept that we are probably going to have to wait a bit longer to find out - or at the very least to hopefully find out what the next step is in the evolution of the band.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:20:19 PM by an tha »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »
It's interesting, but the older the Rolling Stones got, the longer their tours tended to last.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »
It's interesting, but the older the Rolling Stones got, the longer their tours tended to last.

's - and I don't mean that cynically. What was the amount and quality of their recorded output in those years you mention - in your view?

I suppose at a certain point a band has to or at least sub consciously decides that they are going to tour and do less in the studio when they get older - IMO you can't be at full tilt quality wise, or how prolific you are at both.