Author Topic: Other musicians about U2  (Read 7736 times)

Offline edgeplorer

• Wanderer
Other musicians about U2
« on: September 02, 2013, 02:22:48 PM »
I am kind of proud when I see that other musicians appreciate U2's work.
For example: Tom Morello ranked his favourite albums and songs of the 00's: ATYCLB #21, Moment of Surrender #9.
Kirk Hammett ranked Beautiful Day #7 on his list.
Lars Ulrich's U2 related part of his list: Moment of Surrender #1, Vertigo #17 and No Line On The Horizon #11.
 Jack White bought Achtung Baby and covered LIB.
Eddie Vedder also likes U2, sang ASOH live and Bono is cited as an influence on his Rolling Stone bio.
So my question is: do you know other musicians who like U2 or was influenced by them in some way? :)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Other musicians about U2
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »
I know that Enduring Chill really likes Zooropa.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »
I'm flattered, Dice.

My old favorite band, The Fray, said their favorite band collectively was U2. Another old favorite band, The Script, also admired U2. There are many artists in recent times who've been inspired by them.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »
I remember another interview with Tom Morello where he talked about how TUF got him through a horrible summer when he was a young lad.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
I like how Noel Gallagher speaks about U2.

I love how we admits that none of his friends get him...but he totally does.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We know Brandon Flowers and Chris Martin like them.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:49:37 PM »
Robert Plant gave an interview in the late '80s in which he said that he considered U2 to be Led Zeppelin's only true successors, due to, as he saw it, the inherently dramatic nature of both bands' music.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:13:36 PM »
I wonder if there's a roundup of comments about some of U2's big music "contemporaries" available somewhere from the 80's.....We all know about Ian Mcculloch's issues, but what about Jim Kerr, Mike Peters from the Alarm, Stuart Adamson, et al

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 04:38:05 AM »
Trent Reznor seems to be a closeted U2 fan.
He did a superb rendition of Zoo Station on the AB tribute album.

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:19:01 AM »
Robert Plant gave an interview in the late '80s in which he said that he considered U2 to be Led Zeppelin's only true successors, due to, as he saw it, the inherently dramatic nature of both bands' music.

The Tall, Cool One = Robert Plant
The Short, Fat One = Bono  :P

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 11:55:33 AM »
I remember reading an interview with Wayne Coyne from The Flaming Lips where he mentioned that ATYCLB was his favorite U2 album.

Offline smalin186

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
I know Kurt Cobain respected the band, which I've always found surprising given his punk rock background. Guy Garvey from Elbow has talked about how his band listened to nothing but "Rattle and Hum" in their early days. Geoff Rickly from the hardcore band Thursday is a fan, he's often seen sporting a "Joshua Tree" shirt. Nicole Scherzinger of the Pussycat Dolls (gag, I know) calls U2 her favorite band. Tom DeLonge from Blink 182 wouldn't shut up about U2 during his stint with his U2-lite Angels and Airwaves. I remember reading a quote from Ed O'Brien of Radiohead where he was really impressed that U2 were able to write a song like "Stuck in a Moment" so far into their career. Then there are detractors like Henry Rollins, Ian McCullough, and even George Harrison. U2 truly are one of the most polarizing bands.

Just came upon this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »
I know Kurt Cobain respected the band, which I've always found surprising given his punk rock background. Guy Garvey from Elbow has talked about how his band listened to nothing but "Rattle and Hum" in their early days. Geoff Rickly from the hardcore band Thursday is a fan, he's often seen sporting a "Joshua Tree" shirt. Nicole Scherzinger of the Pussycat Dolls (gag, I know) calls U2 her favorite band. Tom DeLonge from Blink 182 wouldn't shut up about U2 during his stint with his U2-lite Angels and Airwaves. I remember reading a quote from Ed O'Brien of Radiohead where he was really impressed that U2 were able to write a song like "Stuck in a Moment" so far into their career. Then there are detractors like Henry Rollins, Ian McCullough, and even George Harrison. U2 truly are one of the most polarizing bands.

That's how you know they're great - their detractors hate their music at least as much as their fans love it. The strength of the reaction is all that matters; Alice Cooper got their first record deal after completely clearing a 2,000-seat theater of the entire audience except for one guy - Frank Zappa, who signed them to his label on the spot, thinking (correctly, as it turned out) that anyone who could have that kind of effect on an audience had to have something going for them

Offline edgeplorer

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 12:21:43 PM »
I found this article about Jimmy Page, The Edge and Noel Gallagher. Page enjoyed The Edge's playing at Wembley. Anyway he also seemed more interested than White when they played I Will Follow in It Might Get Loud.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
I forgot- Taylor Swift is also a U2 fan.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »
Chris Martin bought AB first and worked backwards like a true fan. He's particularly fond of TUF.
Elbow were obsessed with U2 when they started playing together. Moby and Travis love them as well.
The unexpected bits of generosity from people like Radiohead and Reni from Stone Roses are the best.

^ I'd never heard the Robert Plant quote so that's interesting.