Author Topic: Other musicians about U2  (Read 7733 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Other musicians about U2
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 08:03:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Robert Plant gave an interview in the late '80s in which he said that he considered U2 to be Led Zeppelin's only true successors, due to, as he saw it, the inherently dramatic nature of both bands' music.

I hardly think that U2 are the true successors to Led "Shake for me girl, I want to be your backdoor man" Zeppelin.

I think U2 are the successors to the Rolling Stones as the biggest band in the world.  I don't really think U2 themselves have any natural successors - as of yet.

OK, but I think I'm gonna take Robert's word over yours on this matter.

He can see it his way and I'll see it my way.  How you see it is of course your choice.

Offline Ln X

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »
Who was it that requested TUF amongst other albums be played at his bedside shortly before he passed away?

That would be Miles Davis.  That's always baffled me!

It actually makes sense because I think the TUF album combined soundscapes, rock and lyrical improvisation in a way I have never heard before. There are times on that album where Bono's voice is like that of an instrument playing jazz, truly astonishing and definitely the zenith of Bono's vocal prowess. Just listen to Elvis Presley and America and you'll see why!

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »
Robert Plant gave an interview in the late '80s in which he said that he considered U2 to be Led Zeppelin's only true successors, due to, as he saw it, the inherently dramatic nature of both bands' music.

I hardly think that U2 are the true successors to Led "Shake for me girl, I want to be your backdoor man" Zeppelin.

I think U2 are the successors to the Rolling Stones as the biggest band in the world. I don't really think U2 themselves have any natural successors - as of yet.
I dont think there will be another group that scales the heights that u2 have reached. We live in different times now. Coldplay probably are the closest, but too a much lesser scale. I think u2 are the last of the supergroups

I think so too. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
Who was it that requested TUF amongst other albums be played at his bedside shortly before he passed away?

It actually makes sense because I think the TUF album combined soundscapes, rock and lyrical improvisation in a way I have never heard before. There are times on that album where Bono's voice is like that of an instrument playing jazz, truly astonishing and definitely the zenith of Bono's vocal prowess. Just listen to Elvis Presley and America and you'll see why!

So between Miles Davis and Joey Ramone, is U2 the undisputed leader in celebrity musician deathbed requests?

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »

So between Miles Davis and Joey Ramone, is U2 the undisputed leader in celebrity musician deathbed requests?

I heard Frank Sinatra asked for "Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad".

Please don't move this to rumors. It's a joke.