Author Topic: Other musicians about U2  (Read 7766 times)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
Re: Other musicians about U2
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 03:28:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Chris Martin bought AB first and worked backwards like a true fan. He's particularly fond of TUF.
Elbow were obsessed with U2 when they started playing together. Moby and Travis love them as well.
The unexpected bits of generosity from people like Radiohead and Reni from Stone Roses are the best.

^ I'd never heard the Robert Plant quote so that's interesting.
I remember reading that he has a tradition of playing A Sort of Homecoming whenever he moves into a new house. I wonder how often that is?

marvgadgie

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
Bono used to love telling the tale of how much Joey Ramone liked a particular song of All That You Can't Leave Behind ... I seem to recall In A Little While being played at his funeral.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 11:15:08 AM »
Who was it that requested TUF amongst other albums be played at his bedside shortly before he passed away?

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »
Who was it that requested TUF amongst other albums be played at his bedside shortly before he passed away?

That would be Miles Davis.  That's always baffled me!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 11:44:42 AM »
Trent Reznor seems to be a closeted U2 fan.
He did a superb rendition of Zoo Station on the AB tribute album.

I don't think he's closeted at all--putting out a high-profile cover would be a weird way to keep your fandom under wraps.  I remember seeing coverage of U2's PopMart debut in Las Vegas, and Reznor was there in his weird 1997 mustache, which I thought was kind of cool.

Keep in mind, I also think it's possible some of the interest/respect from musicians has to do with their business acumen, concert production, etc., particularly since they are arguably the biggest/best there is in the field.  You can be certain that musicians watch each other with more than casual interest when it comes to putting on stage shows: they compare notes, see what others are doing, see what works, so how it works--both technically and artistically--how much it might cost, etc.  U2 put themselves on the map with Zoo TV, and others have certainly taken note since then.  Even before that, though, U2 (or at least Bono) saw David Bowie perform on his Sound + Vision Tour, and the idea of doing something with the transparent scrim which Bowie used on the tour was, I believe, considered early in the planning stages.  Reznor himself would go on to use the scrim on his Self Destruct Tour.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »
Bono also probably ripped off Bowie's idea on Sound + Vision of using a video camera to film the audience.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »

That would be Miles Davis.  That's always baffled me!

Ah thanks. I had James Brown in my head but thought that was wrong!

Offline Taco

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I like tacos
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 01:39:26 PM »
I know The Killers are influenced by U2

Offline parkman

• Wanderer
  • His love is continually teaching me how to kneel.
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »
Chris Martin when he received, I believe an a award for best band of the last decade like a year or so ago, he still said U2 were the best band around. He also wrote the article bit for U2 in rollingstone's top 100 bands. And he was in Electric Lady Studios too.. so I mean.. he's obviously high up there as a fan. I think he was at the Slane Castle performance too. And a bunch of Christian artist are influenced by U2, they did an entire album for Africa of just U2 songs. Jars Of Clay, Nicole Nordeman, Chris Tomlin, Toby Mac, Sanctus Real, and more. Also Kylie Minogue. Not to mention, I think it's safe to say if he wasn't a fan before the Pride (red) remix, that Tiesto is now.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 10:53:50 PM »
Some of Henry Rollin's rants about U2 are hypocritical. Here's this punk pioneer upset that Edge parlays "the same chords over and over" into huge success.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
Robert Plant gave an interview in the late '80s in which he said that he considered U2 to be Led Zeppelin's only true successors, due to, as he saw it, the inherently dramatic nature of both bands' music.

I hardly think that U2 are the true successors to Led "Shake for me girl, I want to be your backdoor man" Zeppelin.

I think U2 are the successors to the Rolling Stones as the biggest band in the world.  I don't really think U2 themselves have any natural successors - as of yet.

hrsan

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 06:35:11 AM »
I remember some documentary about guitarists and either  Steve Vai or Joe Satriani was playing some complex piece then launches into I Will Follow saying how simple yet how brilliant it was and how he loved it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:58:52 PM by hrsan »

smee

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »
Robert Plant gave an interview in the late '80s in which he said that he considered U2 to be Led Zeppelin's only true successors, due to, as he saw it, the inherently dramatic nature of both bands' music.

I hardly think that U2 are the true successors to Led "Shake for me girl, I want to be your backdoor man" Zeppelin.

I think U2 are the successors to the Rolling Stones as the biggest band in the world. I don't really think U2 themselves have any natural successors - as of yet.
I dont think there will be another group that scales the heights that u2 have reached. We live in different times now. Coldplay probably are the closest, but too a much lesser scale. I think u2 are the last of the supergroups

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 07:57:38 AM »

I think U2 are the successors to the Rolling Stones as the biggest band in the world.  I don't really think U2 themselves have any natural successors - as of yet.

OK, but I think I'm gonna take Robert's word over yours on this matter.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 08:00:54 AM »

I think U2 are the successors to the Rolling Stones as the biggest band in the world. I don't really think U2 themselves have any natural successors - as of yet.
I dont think there will be another group that scales the heights that u2 have reached. We live in different times now. Coldplay probably are the closest, but too a much lesser scale. I think u2 are the last of the supergroups

It's certainly possible for U2 to have a 'successor', but that band will have to produce a sublime body of work and build up a huge popular following in order to be crowned as such, and there are no bands around today that look set to do that, including Coldplay.