Poll

Do you believe U2 can/will/still has the ability to change the face of rock music?

Yes, I believe their next album will be groundbreaking like (insert album name here) was
1 (3.6%)
Yes, but it won't be on their next album
0 (0%)
No, but I still eagerly look forward to something "back to U2 basics" like (insert album name here)
1 (3.6%)
No, their creative well has run dry, and I have no/low expectations
4 (14.3%)
That doesn't concern me, I just want their next record to be great
22 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Change the Game/Stay the Same?  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: Change the Game/Stay the Same?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 10:07:14 AM »
The whole idea of them remaining relevant should be thrown out the window immediately. They shouldn't care about catering to the current young audience because in reality, that audience doesn't care about them much at all.

They won't release a groundbreaking album. To be fair, they don't need to. Like Exile mentioned previously, there is nothing left they have to prove, unless it is towards new fans.

But as a relatively newer U2 fan, I've never gotten any flack from liking them so much. In fact, most of my friends like some of their music in some shape or form.

Do I think they can still make a new album that is great? Of course. The fact that they're even working with somebody like Danger Mouse tells me that they still find some enjoyment in creating music, and that there are some ideas left that they want to use. What comes out of this is beyond me and everybody else, but at this rate I don't care when it comes out now.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 11:05:58 AM »
i don't think the album will change the face of rock music; as i believe "every book has been read" in that regard. I think it will be a groundbreaking u2 album within the confines of their own catalogue though. I believe dangermouse will have dragged something different out of u2, something from a different angle and it is this that excites me. I have a feeling that a lot of the members of @u2 won't like what they hear, as i believe u2 will ditch the 'prog rock' elements that garnished parts of nloth and will produce a straight-up, 3 minute pop/rock hook laden album, with a modern twist. Bono insisted he wanted a more 'light on it's feet' album after looking back on nloth. 

as long as the songs are good, i don't mind that at all. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:50:56 PM by miami »

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would hope neither the band or their fans would be happy to live off former glories

I particularly liked the way that U2 built their last tour around their latest album.

Aye - its the heritage act from here on in then

Could have avoided it by ... NOT playing more AB than NLOTH on the last leg.

I fully expect a big change with Danger Mouse producing.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 01:04:27 PM »
I fully expect a big change with Danger Mouse producing.

I would have agreed, if they hadn't just gone back into the studio. I'm afraid that whatever influences he may have had will end up on the cutting room floor (right next to all those Moroccan influences that NLOTH had in the autumn of '08).

Hashtag, SenseAPatternHere?

satellitedog01

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »
I would hope neither the band or their fans would be happy to live off former glories
Most of the fans are perfectly happy with just that, and have been since the Vertigo tour.

As for me, I do think they could release a great career defining album if they cared to. But big business and great art rarely mix, so I guess I shouldn't even wait around just to be disappointed again.

I would say that when they have made their last 3 albums that they honestly thought they were great - its just that middle aged multi millionaires just dont have an ear for great anymore - or the hunger to find it that they had 20 years ago.

I think it's a difference in perspective between a great album and a great product that produced their last three albums. They created great songs throughout those years. So the ability is there.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
The thing that has been missing too often in the last 3 albums is emotion, too many songs that are just the band going through the motions with straight up arrangements and no urgency /feeling.

A return to some darker/edgier themes and more emotion would be good.

satellitedog01

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 05:09:09 PM »
That will happen only if an outside occurence forces them to go to darker places. They seem to enjoy the huge US non-fundamental (or none hardcore/squeaky clean) Christian market share they bit off with ATYCLB after 9/11, and have been pandering to those families ever since. Something needs to hit close to home with Bono for him to create pure art again. Too many lyrics have read like a combed together last minute effort in the last decade...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »
That will happen only if an outside occurence forces them to go to darker places. They seem to enjoy the huge US non-fundamental (or none hardcore/squeaky clean) Christian market share they bit off with ATYCLB after 9/11, and have been pandering to those families ever since. Something needs to hit close to home with Bono for him to create pure art again. Too many lyrics have read like a combed together last minute effort in the last decade...

Fair points. I also suppose that a lyricist in his 50's who is living an extremely comfortable life and has more money than he could ever spend - and is surrounded by sychophants is unlikely to have much to reveal of himself from an edgier point of view.

satellitedog01

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
Agreed.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 03:29:56 AM »
Nothing has the ability to "change the face of rock music" these days anymore because the importance of music in society has diminished so much in the past decade. Music has become a niche interest, kind of like it was in the 50s and 60s but back then, rock music was seen as somewhat dangerous and that's what gave it the power to change society then, to some extent. Oddly, today, music is almost everywhere as a background noise, despite being only a niche interest of some people.

Viewed under this perspective, the recorded music of today which has its changes in loudness, its dynamics nearly totally removed from it due to compression, seems to have also lost its Edge, its social dynamics, too.

That might be a sign that if U2 want to change the game, they must dare producing their next album with as much sonic clarity as The Joshua Tree had back in the 80s, even if it means it would have quieter passages in the mix. But after all, there is probably something to it when psychologists say it's when you speak quieter that people will give you more attention than when you talk with a loud voice.

satellitedog01

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 04:32:22 AM »
I agree with the first half of your statement, but refusing to partake in the loudness wars could just end up a marketing stunt, without much social weight.

The loudness wars are the consequence/a failed, misguided immune response/failed attempt at creating a solution to the problem of music being overabundant and a free commodity for a number of years now.

What U2 could do to make them relevant again would be to lead the whole gang out into the wild, acting as a kind of Moses to the old school, performance centric guitar-music scene and giving it back to the people (possibly in a live and approachable setting). Since U2 likely won't trade their safe and pleasant lifestyles for another "musical journey" to commune with fans like young bands often do, I wouldn't expect a gamechanger from them.

Anyway, the whole scene of bedroom-pop, livingroom concerts, the folk revival and the virility and thriving of the live music scene worldover in the last five-ten years is the changing of the guards that's reshaping the rock face of music, so enjoy it.

Smell the flowers while you can.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:34:23 AM by satellitedog01 »

Offline MrSteve

• Babyface
  • I actually liked Get On Your Boots
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »
I think they're done. They don't seem too focused on getting something out.