Poll

Do you believe U2 can/will/still has the ability to change the face of rock music?

Yes, I believe their next album will be groundbreaking like (insert album name here) was
1 (3.6%)
Yes, but it won't be on their next album
0 (0%)
No, but I still eagerly look forward to something "back to U2 basics" like (insert album name here)
1 (3.6%)
No, their creative well has run dry, and I have no/low expectations
4 (14.3%)
That doesn't concern me, I just want their next record to be great
22 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Change the Game/Stay the Same?  (Read 2432 times)

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
Change the Game/Stay the Same?
« on: September 08, 2013, 11:15:14 PM »
Some U2 albums are viewed as groundbreaking radical departures; others classic U2, others something in between. NLOTH seemed to be half a return to some HTDAAB/ATYCLB material and half to some bold new directions. So do I think they can blaze new trails? Yes, but I'm hedging my bets. I just want it to be great, regardless of whether or not "there's no reverse gear" on the U2 tank. What do you think? Can U2 go where they or most bands haven't gone before? Are they going to go back to familiar ground? Will it be a little of both? Or are you not concerned with that at all, as long as it's great?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Change the Game/Stay the Same?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:25:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Some U2 albums are viewed as groundbreaking radical departures; others classic U2, others something in between. NLOTH seemed to be half a return to some HTDAAB/ATYCLB material and half to some bold new directions. So do I think they can blaze new trails? Yes, but I'm hedging my bets. I just want it to be great, regardless of whether or not "there's no reverse gear" on the U2 tank. What do you think? Can U2 go where they or most bands haven't gone before? Are they going to go back to familiar ground? Will it be a little of both? Or are you not concerned with that at all, as long as it's great?

I voted for the last one. I really couldn't care less how popular or important  U2 is perceived to be. Everyone knows they were the biggest band of the '80s and '90s, and they get all the repeck they deserve for that. They have nothing to prove, except maybe to people who are newer fans who never knew what it was like to be a U2 fan and have that be a badge of honor with other music fans.

What I mean is, I can totally understand how much it would suck to be a new U2 fan and be made fun of for liking them. But for an older fan it's not a problem, since we were there when they were at the top of their game and miles ahead of any other act.

In a word, we still think what everyone else once thought, and there's no shame in that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:32:51 AM by The Exile »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 04:55:43 AM »
I'd be very surprised if they had a real game changer left in them

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »
What I mean is, I can totally understand how much it would suck to be a new U2 fan and be made fun of for liking them. But for an older fan it's not a problem, since we were there when they were at the top of their game and miles ahead of any other act.

Cruel.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:07:15 AM »
I wouldn't expect anything game-changing at this point in their career.  At best, I would just hope for something that I, personally, enjoy.  It's not really any veteran act's job to change the game, it's to appeal to their own fan-base.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »
I highly doubt that, after 60 years of evolution and permutations, any band can "change the face of rock music" anymore.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:28:42 AM »

I voted for the last one. I really couldn't care less how popular or important  U2 is perceived to be. Everyone knows they were the biggest band of the '80s and '90s, and they get all the repeck they deserve for that. They have nothing to prove, except maybe to people who are newer fans who never knew what it was like to be a U2 fan and have that be a badge of honor with other music fans.

In a word, we still think what everyone else once thought, and there's no shame in that.

Good post, I agree.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »

Good post, I agree.

THIS

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »
I would hope neither the band or their fans would be happy to live off former glories

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »
I would hope neither the band or their fans would be happy to live off former glories

I particularly liked the way that U2 built their last tour around their latest album.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »

I particularly liked the way that U2 built their last tour around their latest album.

Now now, be nice.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 03:23:46 PM »
I just want them to be themselves and create the kind of music they want to make.

satellitedog01

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »
Most of the fans are perfectly happy with just that, and have been since the Vertigo tour.

As for me, I do think they could release a great career defining album if they cared to. But big business and great art rarely mix, so I guess I shouldn't even wait around just to be disappointed again.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 08:55:28 AM »

Aye - its the heritage act from here on in then

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
Most of the fans are perfectly happy with just that, and have been since the Vertigo tour.

As for me, I do think they could release a great career defining album if they cared to. But big business and great art rarely mix, so I guess I shouldn't even wait around just to be disappointed again.

I would say that when they have made their last 3 albums that they honestly thought they were great - its just that middle aged multi millionaires just dont have an ear for great anymore - or the hunger to find it that they had 20 years ago.