Author Topic: Back in the studio - second guessing or second album?  (Read 7442 times)

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
Re: Back in the studio - second guessing or second album?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10:32 AM »
I don't get the sense that they are second guessing.  I get the sense that they are enjoying songwriting without any pressure.  There is no tour lined up.  Stadiums and arenas haven't been booked, the tour crew hasn't been notified.  My point is that once the U2 machine kicks into gear they won't have this freedom for 2 maybe 3 years. 

Also, there are new elements that they are working on.  A U2 app of some sort will be involved in the promo of the album.  Stage design must also take place.  How do you put 4 guys in their 50's on stage and not make them look like jokes when compared to their younger selves?

This is a fat and happy band these days able to afford taking more time to make an album.  It does make me miss the younger band.  But that's not their fault.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 11:21:54 AM »
Double album ?

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
Double album is doubtful, I think they will complete the second one the. Release the first, so that if the first fails they retain the freedom to rethink the second

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 12:23:07 PM »
Arcade Fire's new album, Reflektor, will be a double album. #justsaying

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Then again, something else might have happened: A la HTDAAB, could one or more of the band members voted not to release a nearly-complete album?

This.

Offline seashells

• Staring at the Sun
  • Let me in the sound
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 01:00:16 PM »

yep, gutsy move.  Arcade Fire is also booked for the season opener of Saturday Night Live.

Offline Babyface1411

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 02:22:53 PM »
anyone in Dublin who can go  to Hanover Quay and see if somebody's there?? ;)

Offline stigman

• Party Girl/Boy
  • live is where we live
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
anyone in Dublin who can go  to Hanover Quay and see if somebody's there?? ;)
was thinking of heading down Thursday evening too have a look

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »

Oh, wow. Didn't realize that. Very cool!

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »
Yeah, I realized it was a double album when I placed my pre-order online last night. Bold indeed, but AF is AF.

I gather you all heard the new song? Or seen the Corbijn black and white clip?

Amazing new direction for AF. Hoping our lads can come up with something as exciting.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »
I'm not that impressed with the AF song/video.

I don't think there is a double album, since that doesn't give U2 the freedom to rethink the second half of the material if the first half doesn't go over well. in 33 years we have yet to see a double album (R&H doesn't count as it was only one album worth of new material)

I think there are two albums, one finished, one not. I also think if the first one succeeds, we will see the second one in 2015, but if the first one doesn't succeed, we may never see the second one.....

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
I'd love for there to be a second album, but it seems wildly optimistic. I'm still pining for Songs of Ascent.

I am really curious to find out what's going on. It did seem like they were finished and that friends thought it sounded good (and generally complete). So, yeah. A mystery :)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
I'd love for there to be a second album, but it seems wildly optimistic. I'm still pining for Songs of Ascent.

I am really curious to find out what's going on. It did seem like they were finished and that friends thought it sounded good (and generally complete). So, yeah. A mystery :)
I think it's exactly like Songs of Ascent. It was a real second album that never saw the light of day because the first album wasn't popular. If the first album is popular, I think the second album will see the light of day. Remember U2 had "enough material for three albums" in 2010. By the time #13 gets released, that statement will be four years old! There is surely enoguh material for multiple albums at this point, it's just that the #13 needs to be successful in order for them to feel confident releasing #14. ....

zootv

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »
I'm not that impressed with the AF song/vi
I don't think there is a double album, since that doesn't give U2 the freedom to rethink the second half of the material if the first half doesn't go over well. in 33 years we have yet to see a double album (R&H doesn't count as it was only one album worth of new material)

I think there are two albums, one finished, one not. I also think if the first one succeeds, we will see the second one in 2015, but if the first one doesn't succeed, we may never see the second one.....
Such a pessimistic view,you seem to have little faith in our 4 northside Dublin heroes,what if they do a David bowie on it,catch people off guard,every occur to you that they could be working on a movie soundtrack,now that the album's are finished,let's see what happens.

If,the albums are finished,then why haven't,we heard about a release date, it's not u2's style,to do a David,Bowie,type release,also what makes you think,it's albums,plu,ral?

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
Yeah, I realized it was a double album when I placed my pre-order online last night. Bold indeed, but AF is AF.

I gather you all heard the new song? Or seen the Corbijn black and white clip?

Amazing new direction for AF. Hoping our lads can come up with something as exciting.

the big heads... Mirrorball man... reminds me of something... there is also Michael Stipe's make up...