Author Topic: Back in the studio - second guessing or second album?  (Read 7447 times)

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
Re: Back in the studio - second guessing or second album?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd love for there to be a second album, but it seems wildly optimistic. I'm still pining for Songs of Ascent.

I am really curious to find out what's going on. It did seem like they were finished and that friends thought it sounded good (and generally complete). So, yeah. A mystery :)
I think it's exactly like Songs of Ascent. It was a real second album that never saw the light of day because the first album wasn't popular. If the first album is popular, I think the second album will see the light of day. Remember U2 had "enough material for three albums" in 2010. By the time #13 gets released, that statement will be four years old! There is surely enoguh material for multiple albums at this point, it's just that the #13 needs to be successful in order for them to feel confident releasing #14. ....

Wow, if SOA is actually done and sitting in a vault somewhere, I'm pretty bummed out. I just figured it was something they had kind of started on and lost interest, despite a few songs (EBW).

And I wonder if this new album will actually perform better than NLOTH. Maybe an amazing premiere single will push it out there a little more, but my understanding was that NLOTH actually did fine financially, just wasn't as big as they wanted? (But that could be a big misunderstanding on my part.)

I want to believe, Codeguy. I also just don't want to have my hopes dashed again!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 03:43:07 PM »
U2 promoted their last album to death - the bbc in the uk especially bending over backwards for them to the point I believe they got reprimanded for it - the album still didnt connect due to the songs being not very good - unless they have great songs this time its hard to see the album making any waves - especially with it likely to be much less pushed than last time - personally I hope they have learnt a lesson that its the songs quality that will connect rather than the heavy promotion of them

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »
I think it's both. You can write the best songs and make the best album ever, but if you don't promote it, no one will hear it except your family and closest friends. Likewise, all the promotion in the world won't matter if people don't like what you're promoting.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »
Yeah, I realized it was a double album when I placed my pre-order online last night. Bold indeed, but AF is AF.

I gather you all heard the new song? Or seen the Corbijn black and white clip?

Amazing new direction for AF. Hoping our lads can come up with something as exciting.

the big heads... Mirrorball man... reminds me of something... there is also Michael Stipe's make up...

i was wondering when someone was going to highlight the big heads and mirrorball man. definitely very zootv ish. great sounding tune though. looking forward to their new album.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:43:12 PM by miami »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »
Wasn't Bowie's style to do it either,lets just say a little birdie told me that albums are done,when and how they are released will become apparent soon.Basically it's like North Korea in the U2 camp they don't go taking to Twitter or any social media about what's going down,I heard a very reliable inside man ,as regards release date's ,this year is still on track.

Ask your friend to relay a couple lines of lyrics and then post them here in order to prove to us you're not just yanking our collective chain.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »
Wasn't Bowie's style to do it either,lets just say a little birdie told me that albums are done,when and how they are released will become apparent soon.Basically it's like North Korea in the U2 camp they don't go taking to Twitter or any social media about what's going down,I heard a very reliable inside man ,as regards release date's ,this year is still on track.

You need to get out more

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »

Ask your friend to relay a couple lines of lyrics and then post them here in order to prove to us you're not just yanking our collective chain.

i've a feeling this 'inside man' is hanover quay's old cleaning lady and she's getting the new album confused with 'zooropa' which is on constant loop there in the hope that SOME remnants of inspiration finally arrive.

can someone please tell me though, how the hell can they be finishing the new album if most of the band have been pictured everywhere in the world apart from hanover quay studios this last few months?  could they all be playing a blinder and are about to shock us all with a release this year?
Without doubt the strangest build-up to any u2 album i've ever experienced. Is the cleaning-lady telling the truth??

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:34:54 PM by miami »

Offline braxhunt

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash - you make me feel clean
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »
I don't think they're actively working on it. They just decided, I think, Larry has film interviews, Adam just got married, Bono is being Bono everywhere and Edge is (according to Schoo) coming up with new guitar work. They probably just looked at their schedules and decided, "Let's just wait til spring to be U2 again."

Offline stigman

• Party Girl/Boy
  • live is where we live
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 08:44:19 AM »
Just called to Hanover quay all quiet down here

Offline trlica

• Holy Joe
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Can you not find a sign with:

RELEASE THE F**KING THING
               AND
      LET'S GO CRAZY

on it?

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 04:03:55 AM »
I wonder if that's Bono playing Mirrorball Man in the Arcade Fire video. About the right height.

Anyone remember the ZooTV Outside Broadcast performance of Desire/I Have A Vision? If U2 can get to that level again, I'll be a very happy cat.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »
PS Just read this about Janelle Monae. Kevin Rutherford of Radio.com suggests her songs aren't getting radio airplay because of the science fiction themes. Which reminds me of a possibility a few here have considered for the delay with U2's new album. Was the band told, or figure for themselves, that they'd struggle to get airplay with the new tunes? Or maybe Bono's digging like a mole and feeling heavy as a truck again?

Yes, I'm on the catnip again.  :o

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 02:19:50 AM »
PS Just read this about Janelle Monae. Kevin Rutherford of Radio.com suggests her songs aren't getting radio airplay because of the science fiction themes.

It's kind of sad about today's music industry landscape that nobody seems to dare putting out some risky music anymore (whatever that might be).

If U2 have recorded an album which does not consist of "least common denominator music" they should put it out right away because their previous 2 artistically challenged albums have been mostly "least common denominator music", with the exception of their single "Get On Your Boots" which was just too awkward in trying to be sexy.

U2 need to put out something that's fresh and not overprocessed at this point in their career.
But we'll see what we will get. Hopefully, this time we'll get the outtakes in lossless CD quality, too, the first time around, so us fans can decide for ourselves if the band will have included the right songs on the album.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 04:31:05 AM »
Dali, I think this guy's right on the money. Personally, I love the spacey lyrics to NLOTH ("you can hear the universe in her seashells oh yeah!") and a few other songs on the album, but they failed to connect with an audience or get airplay. Well, Rutherford's a bit off the mark with this though:

Quote from: Rutherford, Radio.com
When science fiction does find its way onto the charts, its generally in a rock format and with bands that have been around for years which is to say, classic rock.

And how's that for a freaky coincidence, Janelle Monae's album being called The Electric Lady. ;)

I'm getting a very strong vibe that the new album has been delayed because a few people close to the band told them radio wouldn't know what to do with it. Listening to new music from Arcade Fire and a few others, I wonder if U2's new music would have stuck out like a sore thumb and not connect, no matter how good it is. They might be feeling the timing just isn't quite right.

Or it could be Adam's wedding, Larry's movie, and they decided to wait a bit longer to let them enjoy life away from U2. Who knows. The Edge is apparently on fire again.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:36:08 AM by The Edges Cat »