Author Topic: Your First Post  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
Your First Post
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:31:55 PM »
Here's an idea for a game. Look at you previous post and copy and paste your very first one on the forum. :) Let's try it out :)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
Re: Your First Post
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I personally like Get on Your Boots. I'm a junior in hs and a lot of my friends love it as well. If you don't like it, then don't listen to it, ok. :)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:17:39 PM »
I've liked this website since the begining of this month, so now I decided to join it. Before I start postng anything, though, I want to say a few things:
1. My favorite band is (prepare for a surprise) NOT U2. I'm afraid I'll get bashed if I say who I do like. However, U2 is definitely one of my favorites, and I love and respect them enough to be considered a fan.
2. I am a relatively young fan (only in middle school), I only own one album, and I've never been to a concert. Just felt like I needed to say that.
3. In case anyone asks, I'll answer in advnce- My favorite U2 song is Streets, the album I own is The Joshua Tree, and I am a Bonogirl!
Surprisingly nowhere near as embarrassing as I remember it. My first post in the Teens thread, on the other hand...

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:19:33 PM »
"Hello from Tuscaloosa. . . it's not the middle of no where, but damn close to it! :D

I'm very glad to be here and hope that I can contribute to the forum in a positive way."

And I'm still just this side of the middle of no where!

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »
Okay yeah so I'm new, but id like to give some thoughts about the album. Overall, it's to me the most complete album since Achtung Baby, with every song playing a part in a full listen. Here's what i think.

No line on the Horizon- Very different to the punkish 2nd version. It has a nice deep rockish feel to it, and the ending is alright, although i really enjoyed the "No Line" Chanting in the other version

Magnificent- The intro is different, and i like bono in this one, not over powerful in the vocals. I think this is the most simplest of the songs, but has a nice catchy rhythm connected to it. Should in my eyes become a big hit worldwide, and a nice live song.

Moment of Surrender- I imagine a lot of emotion going into this one, sounds like a track bono would sing to Ali. I love it, it does have the gospel feel to it. The edge's little solo has a bit of a santana feel, i liked that. Wonderful work by the band, Eno and Danny.

Unknown Caller- Birds and the Edge for a start, nice. The lyrics feel like the band is talking right to you, different. Larry's drumming is nice and strong on the track. And is it me, or is there 3 people singing at once in parts?

I'll go Crazy if i don't go Crazy Tonight- More of a poppy song, but i liked Bono's vocals, he was in good form for this song. The sort baby baby baby part had ultraviolet back in my mind, but other than that, the tracks are very different. Bono's first crazy tonight shouldn't of been sung that high though

Stand Up Comedy- Well, looks at if Page has rubbed a bit of his musical genius onto the Edge on this riff. Good Edge track, i loved the singing at the end where Bono's voice got high up. But guys, with the ending, stop milking that idea.

Fez - Being Born- Wow, i'm really into this one. A Zooropa mystical beginning with the "let me in the sound" echoing in the background. Then in a boom comes the 2nd part, a alt rocker. The background of the song is different from all the others, and is paired beautifully with the ringing of Edge. Amazing track

White as Snow- A nicely crafted ballad, lyrics make me think of iraq in a way, i think that what the song is sort of referring to. I like how is calms the mood from the other 7 tracks before it.

Breathe- Gotta agree with Eno here, i love this track. With the little sequence of piano notes, and the rapid bullet fire verses of Bono, the song is amazing to me. And the Edge's solo, gotta love that sort staccato fast paced string of notes Edge played. Probably my 2nd favorite, and could be a incredible live track

Cedars of Lebanon- Atmosphere is key in the final track. Bono tones down for more of a narrative track, never seen him sing this way before. A very big contrast from the last track. "Choose you're enemies carefully because they will define you."

Overall, this is easily up with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, something for everybody is in the album, and the boys did a heck of a job, well worth the wait, and well worth the hype.

I forgot I reviewed NLOTH as my first post. Brings back memories  :D

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
Music is an important part of most people's lives.  Everybody needs music.  I only listen to U2 because they provide all the music I will ever need.  A very huge fan since the 80's and they continue to blow me away.

That was my first post 2 years ago, almost to the day (October 7, 2011).  I can't believe I never knew about this site before then.
It was posted in New members introductions

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 11:55:21 PM »
Adding a lot to the forum as always...

Quote from: briscoetheque
GAs to the rose bowl very easy to come by

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 10:13:38 AM »

Hello everyone. I've only just recently found this forum and I can't wait to share my views on the greatest band in the world, U2.

Let me just start by saying that I am a huge Achtung Baby fan and my favourite song is The Fly (well my name kind of gave that away a bit). That whole album is one of the greatest masterpieces in the history of music. The lyrics on it are so deep, dark and meaningful. I love the lyrics to One. I really do think that they are Bono's greatest.

I am also a huge fan of No Line On The Horizon. I will be honest, as soon as I heard Magnificent, I thought to myself that U2's new album will be one of their finest. And it is. I love the fact that every song is different. You have a big production start to the album, but it all seems to quiet down through Moment Of Surrender and Unknown Caller.

I basically like chilling out with my closest friends and I love winding them up about how U2 are the best band in the world  ;D (not many of my friends agree with me). I like to just have fun with the people closest to me and I just love living each day to the max. I have never been to a U2 concert (I hope that doesn't mean that I will get tortured or something  ;) ) but i'm planning on seeing them next year with my brother.

I think my favourite U2 era has to be the 2000's, just because of the wonderful songs that they have released. I mean, if you take out the whole of U2's 2000's songs then you would have no Beautiful Day, Vertigo, City Of Blinding Lights, Kite and other great tracks too. I loved their 80's period, but for me this past decade has been their greatest (and you know that everything gets better with age).

That's pretty much it from me, if you want to know anything else just ask and i'll try and do my best to answer. I look forward to meeting lots of new U2 fans here that might help me stick up for myself when i'm talking with my friends  :D

Bringing back the memories with this one!

I have to say, I most certainly have made a lot of friends here who can help me out when discussing music with my friends  ;D

And I can't believe how my opinion has changed with regards to my favourite album and song too! Although, my opinion on the 2000's being U2's greatest decade hasn't changed at all!!

northstarjo

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »

ok...this is my first post.  I know I'm obsessed because out grocery shopping today I passed the time waiting in line (it was Sunday after all) watching the Elevation tour on my mp3...on a one-inch screen. And it was still awesome!! Who does that?? 

huh. . . .aside from the fact I was still using an mp3 player  ::) - not too embarrassing!!!  :D 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:27:40 AM by northstarjo »

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »
Here's an idea for a game. Look at you previous post and copy and paste your very first one on the forum. :) Let's try it out :)
I'm afraid too.... ??? :D :D :D

Offline bonobuzz

• Elevated
  • One Life, you got to do what you should...
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 07:28:45 AM »
Hi there! I love U2 & am a HUGE Bono fan! Love talking about the band with other fans, since it's hard to find others that appreciate them like I do. Being at the East Lansing show in June, with 65,000 of my closest friends, was the best day/night of 2011 for me, was on such a high for so long afterwards, & really wished that I had the time to go travel to the other shows :( 

My plan next time around, for sure, start to save now!!!

Look forward to meeting everyone!
Modify message

satellitedog01

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:39:09 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm Montag, this is my first post.

I wonder if any of you've found the cockatoo verse of 'Breathe' reminiscent of Nick Cave's literary/rhythmic style with lyrics?

To get what I mean in case you're not acquainted with him, take a quick listen to their 2008 single 'Dig Lazarus Dig!!!'

or

'We Call Upon the Author'

usually B doesn't use phrasing that way, so I find it really exciting!!!

Also after some of the "by the numbers" songs off the last two records, I find some of the snippets refreshing, albeit not Magnificent, but Standup Comedy, ...Crazy... and No Line maybe. Potential is there, hope they haven't effed up.

B.W.
M.

That there was my first post as I already pointed out in my first post. Well, with SUC they actually effed up. I'm of the rare type of long time fan who digs Crazy as a pop anthem, regardless of its misplacement on No Line.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 07:59:08 AM »
This is where it all started for me, and I've been talking drivel ever since.

I don't care about extras or bonuses. As an audiophile, it would be magnificent if the band just remaster all their studio albums in original form but with the amazing sonic improvements of their previous releases.  I really feel that all U2 albums warrant this treatment at least as much as any other band and the fans certainly deserve it.  The Unforgettable Fire is long overdue, as is Achtung, Baby and Zooropa. As great as they are they sound flat by today's standards.  Listening to a remastered record is often like rediscovering an old friend and a new release at the same time, well that was my experience with the 2007 The Joshua Tree remaster.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 08:02:49 AM »
Adding a lot to the forum as always...

Quote from: briscoetheque
GAs to the rose bowl very easy to come by

Who'd have thought that people would be fighting over GA's at the Rose Bowl for a manufactured British pop group five years later.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 08:45:41 AM »
Ok, may have been done before, but haven't found it.  Rank your favorite U2 albums broken down by decade (I am lumping all their 2000's into a decade for purposes of this questions.

For me:

80's
JT
War
UF
RH
Boy
October

90's
AB
Pop
Zooropa