Author Topic: The U2 of the 2000's  (Read 10417 times)

Offline edge245

• Refugee
Re: The U2 of the 2000's
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 04:30:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Enjoy your day Edge245, and maybe try and not read meaning into my post that I never wrote.

SD

Lets see, did you not write the following?

Because after an intense ten years of fandom for myself ('93-03) as a kid, after noticing they started to become dad-rock (was very clear even at the time) and offering music that rarely matched the excitement of the "classics", 

My response was simply:

Are you really going to lable Vertigo, Beautiful Day and Get On Your Boots as "Dad Rock", but say that "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is somehow heavy, progressive, or indie rock? Really?

You've labled U2's 00s music as "dad rock". Vertigo, Beautiful Day, and Get On Your Boots are songs U2 recorded in the 00s. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is a U2 classic.

I know exactly what you said and meant and gave you a perfect example of what your claiming. Perhaps you've realized the description of U2's 00s music as "dad rock" is not accurate.

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »
That ticket comment is completely ridiculous

I'm not a fan of a huge chunk of 00s material,  especially the woeful htdaab, but that's not the entire setlist. Maybe 2 songs max from it. So unless I see an announcement saying they are only playing htdaab I plan on 'blocking the ticket line'

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 04:45:11 PM »
That ticket comment is completely ridiculous

I'm not a fan of a huge chunk of 00s material,  especially the woeful htdaab, but that's not the entire setlist. Maybe 2 songs max from it. So unless I see an announcement saying they are only playing htdaab I plan on 'blocking the ticket line'

What if they only play songs that were recorded after January 2000? Why not let the fans that are really into what the band is doing in the 00s in first? If the band is really going back to Arena's only, then lots of fans are going to get blocked out because there is not going to be space. Shouldn't the fans that are enthusiastic about their 00s music get in first instead of the fans that dislike their 00s music and will stand like "unmoving stern old Dad's with their arms crossed" during the show?

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »
What if my auntie had nads? Then She'd be my uncle

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »
The problem with U2 in the 00's IMO is that they back pedaled from their most creative and interesting era, but it wasn't just a retreat to their 80's sound or style - which was unique and still often had that feel of something that had more substance, had more mystique and just more magic than most - and was the sound of a band who were a rock band but different to the rest - it was a retreat firmly and fully into the middle of the road - with when they tried to be a rock n roll band they had almost no swagger, none of the spark they had before and made ham fisted songs and when they tried to be a pop rock band they came across bland and cheesy and lightweight.

It's almost unbelievable to me that the band who became the biggest and best band on the planet could become what they became for the most part in the 00's - if you played Stand Up Comedy, Crazy Tonight or Peace on Earth for example to someone who knows nothing about u2 and said "this is the band who are/were considered the biggest rock n roll band on the planet" for me they'd just laugh.... U2 in the 00's lost their bo****ks, lost the magic that made them what they were and I fear it will never return - how many artists have made great music in their 50's....?

To go from songs like The Fly, Acrobat, Mofo, UTEOTW, Ultra Violet, Dirty Day et al to Peace on Earth, Love and Peace, SUC, Crazy Tonight, Elevation, Yahweh et al - in just a few years is criminal IMO.

Others will disagree and thats fine its all subjective - but for me the band I fell in love with ceased to be in the 00's - I used to be proud to play u2 songs to non fans and often would get a "wow i didn't know they could do that" - now i would honestly be embarrassed to play most of their songs from the last decade to people....

HTDAAB is U2's 3rd greatest album and easily the greatest album of music released so far in the 21st century. The songs you listed from the 90s and the 00s are all of the same quality and on the same level. Just because music has a more light hearted or uplifting tone does not make it inferior to something that is darker.

I just hope the 00s haters are not blocking up ticket lines next year. Let the fans that still truly love the bands work get in to see them in the arena's!

each to their own i know but to call HTDAAB the greatest album of the 21st century and laud those other songs beggars belief IMO - as for the ticket comments - behave!

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 05:07:54 PM »
What if my auntie had nads? Then She'd be my uncle

No, she would be your transgender Auntie.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 05:12:30 PM »
The problem with U2 in the 00's IMO is that they back pedaled from their most creative and interesting era, but it wasn't just a retreat to their 80's sound or style - which was unique and still often had that feel of something that had more substance, had more mystique and just more magic than most - and was the sound of a band who were a rock band but different to the rest - it was a retreat firmly and fully into the middle of the road - with when they tried to be a rock n roll band they had almost no swagger, none of the spark they had before and made ham fisted songs and when they tried to be a pop rock band they came across bland and cheesy and lightweight.

It's almost unbelievable to me that the band who became the biggest and best band on the planet could become what they became for the most part in the 00's - if you played Stand Up Comedy, Crazy Tonight or Peace on Earth for example to someone who knows nothing about u2 and said "this is the band who are/were considered the biggest rock n roll band on the planet" for me they'd just laugh.... U2 in the 00's lost their bo****ks, lost the magic that made them what they were and I fear it will never return - how many artists have made great music in their 50's....?

To go from songs like The Fly, Acrobat, Mofo, UTEOTW, Ultra Violet, Dirty Day et al to Peace on Earth, Love and Peace, SUC, Crazy Tonight, Elevation, Yahweh et al - in just a few years is criminal IMO.

Others will disagree and thats fine its all subjective - but for me the band I fell in love with ceased to be in the 00's - I used to be proud to play u2 songs to non fans and often would get a "wow i didn't know they could do that" - now i would honestly be embarrassed to play most of their songs from the last decade to people....

HTDAAB is U2's 3rd greatest album and easily the greatest album of music released so far in the 21st century. The songs you listed from the 90s and the 00s are all of the same quality and on the same level. Just because music has a more light hearted or uplifting tone does not make it inferior to something that is darker.

I just hope the 00s haters are not blocking up ticket lines next year. Let the fans that still truly love the bands work get in to see them in the arena's!

each to their own i know but to call HTDAAB the greatest album of the 21st century and laud those other songs beggars belief IMO - as for the ticket comments - behave!

HTDAAB is a fantastic album and even Bono agrees its their third best. It sold over 10 million copies and won 8 Grammy awards including album of the year. The band worked very hard on it for years, including re-writing songs and throwing out some stuff. They did an amazing job, and after 9 years I still get goose bumps when I listen to it.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »

HTDAAB is a fantastic album and even Bono agrees its their third best. It sold over 10 million copies and won 8 Grammy awards including album of the year. The band worked very hard on it for years, including re-writing songs and throwing out some stuff. They did an amazing job, and after 9 years I still get goose bumps when I listen to it.

I couldn't give a toss how many grammies it won (is there anything less rock n roll in music?) or how many copies it sold - as far as I am concerned its a dog of an album - you love it, fair do's

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
I get goosebumps too. It's scary bad.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »

I couldn't give a toss how many grammies it won (is there anything less rock n roll in music?) or how many copies it sold - as far as I am concerned its a dog of an album - you love it, fair do's

Hey, I'm just offering you something other than my own opinion in discussing the albums greatness.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 05:32:47 PM »
I get goosebumps too. It's scary bad.

Wow, I guess you skipped the Vertigo Tour and the U2 3D movie?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 05:34:22 PM »

Hey, I'm just offering you something other than my own opinion in discussing the albums greatness.

huge sales numbers dont mean great - neither do grammies - and i dont trust bonos opinion on music that much these days either!

you'll be quoting the tour attendances next..........

we'll agree to disagree, pal

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 05:36:50 PM »
Movie yes. Tour no. I saw some great stuff on that tour. Gloria. An cat. Horses. Please. Sbs. Pride. Streets. Bad. Mw. Zoo station. Etc. Why on earth would I want to miss all that?

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »

huge sales numbers dont mean great - neither do grammies - and i dont trust bonos opinion on music that much these days either!

Maybe, but at least its something more than just our individual opinions. I mean, besides your individual opinion, what do you have to back up your idea that HTDAAB is not a great album?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »

Maybe, but at least its something more than just our individual opinions. I mean, besides your individual opinion, what do you have to back up your idea that HTDAAB is not a great album?

the same as you - nothing that is worth too much..... its a big part of what forums are about, discussion and debate.... oh and my mate dave said its sh**e too!  ;)