Author Topic: Changing Usernames  (Read 1771 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Changing Usernames
« on: October 23, 2013, 02:25:20 AM »
Just a thought... any chance of removing the ability for users to change their usernames?

Becomes kind of difficult to keep track of who's who. I'm a member of several other forums and none of them allow the alteration of usernames for these reasons. Hardly a press-stopping issue but I reckon it probably isn't great...

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
Re: Changing Usernames
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 02:54:56 AM »
I agree.

Let's have some transparency here.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:03:15 AM »
Happy to have a look and get back - but if usernames change the posts remain the same?

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 04:35:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Happy to have a look and get back - but if usernames change the posts remain the same?

That's true. Morons remain morons and visionaries remain visionaries.

;)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 05:11:57 AM »
Not quite what I had in mind  ;)

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 01:38:40 AM »
I don't see where that's an option. The option to change a username is on the same page as the option to change an email address. Members will often have to change their email address for one reason or another. So we need to keep that option opened.
Now if there's two separate ways to change just one of those options, I haven't found it yet.

But is it really all that annoying?

--Hawk

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 09:54:09 PM »
I don't see where that's an option. The option to change a username is on the same page as the option to change an email address. Members will often have to change their email address for one reason or another. So we need to keep that option opened.
Now if there's two separate ways to change just one of those options, I haven't found it yet.

--Hawk
OK, possibly just a different to the phpbb software I'd used previously.

Look, no. In comparison to say world hunger and medical pandemics it's probably minor.

But take something like eBay for example. If you change your username there, eBay will keep a record of your username history that anyone can access to see who you've been previously. It's kind of common sense I guess.

Now that's a commercial setup I know.

But it does make sense to actually know who you're responding to on here and the fact is that if you can change your username over and over then it's easy to lose track of who you're actually talking to.

If there's technical limitations then end of story.

cheers,

##$thequem0nster1992$##

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:36:43 PM »

--Hawk
OK, possibly just a different to the phpbb software I'd used previously.

Look, no. In comparison to say world hunger and medical pandemics it's probably minor.

But take something like eBay for example. If you change your username there, eBay will keep a record of your username history that anyone can access to see who you've been previously. It's kind of common sense I guess.

Now that's a commercial setup I know.

But it does make sense to actually know who you're responding to on here and the fact is that if you can change your username over and over then it's easy to lose track of who you're actually talking to.

If there's technical limitations then end of story.

cheers,

##$thequem0nster1992$##

Okay Briscoe, makes sense. We're still looking into it. And no, I didn't mean "big deal" on the world hunger level, but I get what you're saying.

--Hawk

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »
Just a thought... any chance of removing the ability for users to change their usernames?

Becomes kind of difficult to keep track of who's who. I'm a member of several other forums and none of them allow the alteration of usernames for these reasons. Hardly a press-stopping issue but I reckon it probably isn't great...

:P

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »
Please see: