Author Topic: will Ordinary Love finally nab U2 an Oscar?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
will Ordinary Love finally nab U2 an Oscar?
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:36:20 AM »
gotta funny feeling Ordinary Love is gonna win a lot of awards once the Mandela film gets released. It could finally win them an oscar. here's hoping U2 can one day win the grand slam EGOT.

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
Re: will Ordinary Love finally nab U2 an Oscar?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:58:28 AM »
please move to general discussion, thanks!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
If they do, it will be to correct the long-time faux-pas of not giving U2 an oscar, not because of Ordinary Love.

Seriously, I can think of several academy awards U2 could have won in the past, including Best Original Song awards for Desire (Rattle and Hum), HMTMKMKM (from Batman Forever), Bono's "In the name of the father", the Wim Wenders efforts, and of course The Hands That Built America.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:12:22 AM by codeguy »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
Grammys, oscars - as un rock and roll as you can get - I can just imagine bands forming all over and as they work out their music and write the songs in their head thinking 'ooh maybe we'll win an award one day' - really is the absolute polar opposite of what rock and roll and great art is about.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 03:29:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Grammys, oscars - as un rock and roll as you can get - I can just imagine bands forming all over and as they work out their music and write the songs in their head thinking 'ooh maybe we'll win an award one day' - really is the absolute polar opposite of what rock and roll and great art is about.
Not sure I agree. There is an uncoolness about the concept of awards, especially multi-format awards like the grammies that put opera in the same room as death metal. But considering that the grammies, for instance, are voted on by fellow artists, it does mean peer recognition, which makes it hard to ignore. It is human nature to desire recognition.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 04:06:17 PM »

I doubt many bands form with that as a main priority, so not sure what point you're making. Is it the mainstream awards like the Oscars & the Grammys that you object to, or would you include things like the Mercury Music Prize onto that list?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 04:59:20 PM »

I doubt many bands form with that as a main priority, so not sure what point you're making. Is it the mainstream awards like the Oscars & the Grammys that you object to, or would you include things like the Mercury Music Prize onto that list?

Of course they don't - that was the point (irony)

As for the awards I am not a fan of the idea in general and even less of a fan of the school of thought that some fans have "oooh u2 are going to win a grammy, its sooooo good" and even worse the idea that the records release dates are worked out to "qualify" for the awards - the grammies are so pretentious, so self absorbed and self serving - same with the oscars..... the other awards you mention are as bad in their own way although probably not as vomit inducing and toe curlingly embarrassing as the grammies and the oscars

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 05:20:57 PM »
Some fans are more interested in that than you are, there's no need to resent them for it.

Awards strike up no interest in me whatsoever - that's why I watch something else when they're on TV. Pretty easy to avoid.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:54:27 PM »
Some fans are more interested in that than you are, there's no need to resent them for it.

Awards strike up no interest in me whatsoever - that's why I watch something else when they're on TV. Pretty easy to avoid.

I wouldn't say I resent - I certainly don't understand the thinking of some who put so much stock behind them though and get giddy about it - each to their own i suppose though when all said and done - and as for avoiding them, spot on....

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »
If the song in its full form is legitimately good then I think it will very likely be nominated. For better or worse U2 seem to get a healthy amount of recognition when it comes to awards at this point in their career. The Academy will probably be looking to nominate some big names if they can. However, to push themselves over the top I think the song is going to have to be something special, not just some run of the mill piece. I only listened to the trailer audio once before coming to the conclusion I should just wait to hear the whole thing, and I haven't listened since. It's not like when we got the snippets before ATYCLB or NLOTH, with those you could listen to them a few times over and speculate because there was nothing else on the audio track.

I guess we'll know in a few hours how good it is, after a few listens that is. To be honest, I'd like to see U2 eventually win this award, it would be another thing on the long list of U2's accomplishments.   

Edit: Never mind, looks as though we're going to have to wait more than a few hours....regardless,  I look forward to hearing the complete song soon enough.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:27:26 AM by Spilling Over the Brim »