Author Topic: Feedback, please: Changing Usernames  (Read 5523 times)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Feedback, please: Changing Usernames
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hey gang,

We'd like your feedback: Would you prefer if forum members were NOT able to change the visible username that shows up with each post?

From a mod/admin perspective, it is a hassle when someone changes his/her visible username and I'm inclined to change the forum setting that allows this to happen. If we DO stop allowing username changes, we'll give everyone a couple weeks notice in case anyone currently has an alternate username that they don't want to be permanent.

But before we just change this setting on our own, I'd welcome your thoughts pro or con. Comment below or send me a PM, or send one of the other mods a PM - just let us know what you think.

m2

zootv

Re: Feedback, please: Changing Usernames
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »
A member should have only one username. IMO, it's silly to keep changing names and it's hard to keep track of who's who.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:29:33 PM »
I change mine a lot, but never to the point where nobody knows who I am. So I guess I would say to leave it alone, as it never really seemed to be a major problem until recently for some reason.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 01:32:45 PM »
what are we allowed to say on the matter?

zootv

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »
I change mine a lot, but never to the point where nobody knows who I am. So I guess I would say to leave it alone, as it never really seemed to be a major problem until recently for some reason.

Just curious, why change your name? I just don't get it.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 01:52:51 PM »

Just curious, why change your name? I just don't get it.

Mostly for fun. I've been here 5 years, sometimes I just feel like changing it once in a while.

I used to be FlyontheWall originally when I signed up. For the last couple years I've used the name I had now with a couple of little additions here and there.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
I agree that it is confusing when a member changes his/her name and you don't realize who it is, and I guess it can be a hassle to figure it out, but I like the option to change usernames because sometimes when you sign up you're put on the spot to think of a name and come up with something lame, or if you used lyrics in your username (or a song title) your love for the song might wane and you'd wish it was something else, or maybe you just don't like the username you came up with originally and think of one you prefer. So I think the option should still be there. If it gets too confusing you can always read back on the person's posts, or often the person who changes his/her username keeps the same avatar and thus is more easily identifiable.

I only changed my username once, to CrazyDiamond, because I felt more like a CrazyDiamond than an EnduringChill. Can't explain why. It's just like legally changing your actual name if you feel it doesn't reflect your persona anymore.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »
what are we allowed to say on the matter?
Just have to say, I love your new username. :P

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »
Perhaps have a separate login which is unchanged and unchangeable, but the name that comes up when posting, keep that changeable? That way you can always verify who is posting, but also people who want to change their names a bit for fun and to keep things fresh can do so.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 07:12:53 PM »
I say lock it. We have a nice community here and I like (somewhat) knowing who I'm talking to :)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »
Perhaps have a separate login which is unchanged and unchangeable, but the name that comes up when posting, keep that changeable? That way you can always verify who is posting, but also people who want to change their names a bit for fun and to keep things fresh can do so.
You probably mean something different, but I thought it was that way- when I changed in part of my username in the past, I always had to log in as my old username.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
I vote for not allowing name changes. Like Miami and Zoo said, it's nice to know who you're talking to. (Sorry Middy!) Users can change their avatar, personal text, etc. which can scratch that creative-need-to-personalize-my-profile itch.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »
You probably mean something different, but I thought it was that way- when I changed in part of my username in the past, I always had to log in as my old username.
Yeah I am pretty sure you're right. If this login were to appear on a profile, for example, we'd know who we were talking to very easily.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »
This is quite possibly the greatest idea ever hatched in the history of the world EVER.

It's at least up there with putting cheese inside a chicken nugget and having a public holiday for a horse race (TOMORROW People!!).

It gets a MASSIVE thumbs up from me.

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »
I say you can change it as long as they keep their avatar. I'm still trying to think of a clever name cause the one I chose when I first signed up sucks :P