Author Topic: Ideas for 2009 Tour Setlist  (Read 15671 times)

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
Ideas for 2009 Tour Setlist
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:58:55 AM »
Ok now that a lot of people have heard the songs of the new album, how about we suggest our ideas for the Setlist of the next tour ?

Here's mine

Long Intro (ala Elevation Tour)
Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Elevation
Still Havent Found
Gloria
Boy / Electric Co.
Fez / Being Born (larry continues the military drum roll and then fully blasts Sunday Bloody Sunday)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Stand Up Comedy
Until The End Of The World
Unknown Caller
No Line On The Horizon
Love And Peace Or Else
Desire
Running To Stand Still
Moment Of Surrender (keyboars slowly segues into one of the most recognizable riffs, A big red background... you see what i'm trying to do  8) )
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

The Fly
Pride
City Of Blinding Lights

White As Snow
Bad / 40

As you can see, i ditched some big chunks (Bullet The Blue Sky, With Or Without you) But kept staples like Streets, I can't picture a U2 Concert without Streets.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:00:31 AM by Achtung_Habs »

An Cat Dubh

Re: Ideas for 2009 Tour Setlist
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok now that a lot of people have heard the songs of the new album, how about we suggest our ideas for the Setlist of the next tour ?

Here's mine

Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Elevation
Still Havent Found
Gloria
Boy / Electric Co.
Fez / Being Born (larry continues the military drum roll and then fully blasts Sunday Bloody Sunday)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Stand Up Comedy
Unknown Caller
No Line On The Horizon
Love And Peace Or Else
Desire
Running To Stand Still
Moment Of Surrender (keyboars slowly segues into one of the most recognizable riffs, A big red background... you see what i'm trying to do  8) )
One

The Fly
Pride
City Of Blinding Lights

White As Snow
Bad / 40

As you can see, i ditched some big chunks (Bullet The Blue Sky, With Or Without you) But kept staples like Streets, I can't picture a U2 Concert without Streets.

No Breathe? I haven't heard the album, but I have heard the clips. And after reading everones comments on the album, its seems pretty popular? I would do away with Pride and put Breathe in there?

Thoughts (remember, I haven't heard the full song - and Pride needs to go! Overplayed now)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
i'm hoping the playing of pride at obama inaugeration was a symbolic jesture rather than a rehearsal for the tour. no more pride!!

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:56:52 AM »
i'm hoping the playing of pride at obama inaugeration was a symbolic jesture rather than a rehearsal for the tour. no more pride!!

Absolutely agree. There is NOTHING more that U2 can do with song to improve it - to make it progressive. Yes, in its day a magnificent song (duh!) and a kick ass live song. But not anymore - and Bono can't sing it anyway!

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »

Here's mine

Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Elevation
Still Havent Found
Gloria
Boy / Electric Co.
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Stand Up Comedy
Unknown Caller
No Line On The Horizon
Love And Peace Or Else
Desire
Running To Stand Still
One

The Fly
Pride
City Of Blinding Lights

White As Snow
Bad / 40

No Breathe? I haven't heard the album, but I have heard the clips. And after reading everones comments on the album, its seems pretty popular? I would do away with Pride and put Breathe in there?

Thoughts (remember, I haven't heard the full song - and Pride needs to go! Overplayed now)

Hmm actually thats a pretty good idea... I just completely forgot Breathe  ???

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:05:59 PM »

Hmm actually thats a pretty good idea... I just completely forgot Breathe  ???
[/quote]

Cool! The rest of your set list rocks though - I could live with that  :)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
How bout Beautiful Day, and With or Without You is arguably a bigger song than Streets and they BETTER keep playing WOWY

achtungchild

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:12:49 PM »
How about "Crazy" going directly into "Ultraviolet"? Being that there is an obvious reference in the song. "Baby, baby, baby!"

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »
Setlist is good minus Elevation, have a feeling that's for the chop. Think maybe Unforgettable Fire may make a retunr would fit well with he new songs.
Can't wait to see the sets though.
I think we may see the end of a few old timers.
SBS
Bullet
WOWU

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
How bout Beautiful Day, and With or Without You is arguably a bigger song than Streets and they BETTER keep playing WOWY

Are you saying that With Or Without You is a bigger live song than Streets. Completely disagree, and I'm sure many other forum members wil agree with me. Streets is one of the BEST live songs ever.

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »

Are you saying that With Or Without You is a bigger live song than Streets. Completely disagree, and I'm sure many other forum members wil agree with me. Streets is one of the BEST live songs ever.

I've seen them five times over the years and they played Streets every time I saw them.  It is just magnificent live.  That was until the Vertigo tour where I thought it sucked.  I guess after the Elevation tour version of streets, with Bono running around the heart and the music building up as it always does, I thought the Africa chanting BS at the beginning of Streets during Vertigo Tour just ruined the song in that setlist.  Just didn't do anything for me like the previous four times.  I would be willing to go without streets, but that is not my first choice of staples to do without. Pride, I Still Haven't Found and Bullet should go before Streets.  Sunday Bloody Sunday I have a thing for no matter how many times I've seen it live.  IT JUST KICKS ASS AND BELONGS IN A U2 SHOW.  Anyone that remembers Live Aid should agree with me, even though THAT performance of SBS will never be topped.

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »
Oh and I will take Bullet over Streets if they decide to play the Zoo TV version of it.  Love the riff in that.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 07:19:11 PM »

I've seen them five times over the years and they played Streets every time I saw them.  It is just magnificent live.  That was until the Vertigo tour where I thought it sucked.  I guess after the Elevation tour version of streets, with Bono running around the heart and the music building up as it always does, I thought the Africa chanting BS at the beginning of Streets during Vertigo Tour just ruined the song in that setlist.  Just didn't do anything for me like the previous four times.  I would be willing to go without streets, but that is not my first choice of staples to do without. Pride, I Still Haven't Found and Bullet should go before Streets.  Sunday Bloody Sunday I have a thing for no matter how many times I've seen it live.  IT JUST KICKS ASS AND BELONGS IN A U2 SHOW.  Anyone that remembers Live Aid should agree with me, even though THAT performance of SBS will never be topped.

Ok, thats an understandable argument. I have seen them 40 times live, and would never drop streets though, its a high point in the show, even on Vertigo tour, IMHO

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 07:20:35 PM »

I agree that the Vertigo version was not as good as the Elevation version... but I would not say it sucked, it was still the most powerful song in the setlist, the song that made the crowd go nuts.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »
I never said that With or Without you is a better song live than Streets, and I wouldn't know cause I have yet to be to a live show, Im only 17.  Personally, With or Without You is my 2nd favorite U2 song and Streets is 4th.  But I have been reading that WOWY should be dropped and I think that is insane.  Streets is godly and should always be considered one of the best and I think WOWY should be in the same category.  Long Live With or Without You