Author Topic: Ideas for 2009 Tour Setlist  (Read 15660 times)

Offline tacoisahotburito

• Stateless
Re: Ideas for 2009 Tour Setlist
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 06:46:54 AM »
Why are you'll describing a sollid setlist?
I'm hoping for very different setlist each night.
Here's my list (just what I came up with).
Everything in between is considerable.

DO:
Everything from No Line
MOFO
EVEN BETER THAN THE REAL THING (everything from Baby is good)
TWO HEARTS BEAT AS ONE
WALK ON
IN A LITTLE WHILE
KITE
PEACE ON EARTH
ELECTRICAL STORM
GLORIA
SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS
SORT OF HOMECOMMING
ULTRA VIOLET

Don't
City Of Blinding Lights
Elevation
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
All because of you
Bullet the blue sky
Pride
One

Offline latindrummer2112

• Refugee
  • my gig review blog ->latindrummer.wordpress.com
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
IS THERE NO LOVE FOR WITH OR WITHOUT YOU ANYMORE???? 

If they dont play it at the concert I attend, I will be SOOOOO mad!!!!!!!  2nd favorite song to Beautiful Day.

Sure we love the song, but I think alot of the opinions you're seeing are from people who have attended multiple shows throughout the years. They didn't play WOWY on the Elevation show I attended in 2001. Heck ya I was disappointed, so was my GF. She would have been satisfied if they played Stay, but nope not that night either lol. But I mean, there's more to U2 than WOWY of course. I also attended 5 Vertigo shows in California. Only ONCE did they play WOWY. I myself dislike dream squashers and I know you want your concert experience to be magical. I truly hope you get your wish and get to hear it live, but just giving you a heads up from personal experience. Who knows, for this tour they might start playing it on a consistent basis, given they pulled it out only a handful of times during the Elevation and Vertigo tours. Crossing my fingers for you. ;D

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »
Thanks.  Its like a magical experience every time i listen to it in the car or on my MP3.  I just really hope I get the chance to hear it live.

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »
Reality is that their setlist have been pretty stable at 22 songs since ZooTV.  There's been some variation, but that's usually where things fall.  I don't know if they'll keep it there or expand to maybe 24.  22 songs for ZooTV is very different from 22 songs now because of the additions to the back catalog.

I could see them playing every track off the album at some point, though that's also unlikely.  They haven't done that since Boy.  Most of October was played though I know Scarlet and Stranger in a Strange Land were never played.  Drowing Man, The Refugee, and Red Light were never played off of War (and Like a Song was only played once).

Achtung Baby has had the most songs played with 10 songs used during ZooTV regularly on the first leg before Wild Horses was dropped.  I doubt they'll do what they did then when they opened with eight in a row off a new album.  That was quite bold.  So Cruel did get played a couple of times so Acrobat remains the only song off the album not played. 

Joshua Tree is another one where all but one has been played (Red Hill Mining Town), though they never put so many in the set list as they did for AB.

Lots of possibilities this time around and some people will be disappointed.  I had thought that maybe seven would be used every night off this album.  ATYCLB really only had seven played, though we did get snippets of Peace On Earth at the back end of the tour for good reason.  HTDAAB did have nine tracks featured on tour though most nights only seven were played.  I thought we'd get the same this time around until I heard the album.  Only Cedars of Lebanon strikes me as one that will not get played.  Everything else is fair game.

So here's my math.  22 slots available.  Let's say they go with eight songs off of No Line on any given night.  We know the singles will get played every night, so Boots will be in there always.  I'm guessing the title track will too.

So eight from No Line.  Streets is a lock.  Pride is a lock.  Bullet is a lock.  One is a lock.  That means that we get 10 songs beyond that, maybe 12 if the band decide to expand the setlist.  Here's what I think album by album:

BOY:

Not sure we'll see much off this one.  We got some nice gifts on last tour with Electric Co. being played almost every night.  An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart as well.  They have done Out of Control occasionally on the last two tours and they could always pull out I Will Follow.  No more than one track off of Boy this time around, if that.  I'd love to hear A Day Without Me coupled with Threw A Brick off of October again, but not likely unless remastering JT and the first three albums has made them reconsider some songs.

OCTOBER:

Probably nothing from this one. 

WAR:

I think they might drop Sunday Bloody Sunday again.  It has gotten tons of play on the last THREE tours between the full bad version and Edge's solo version from POPMart.  New Year's Day is very likely to make appearances unless they are tired of it and 40 probably will be back as show closer unless they decide to use another song from the new album or even Yahweh from the last one.  I'd love to see them resurrect Two Hearts Beat As One but I'm not holding my breath.

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE:

Already mentioned Pride.  Wire would actually fit in with the new material but I seriously doubt they'll pull it out of mothballs.  I hope Bad is included but I know Edge lobbies hard to strike it from the setlist every time.  I'd love for Bad to be the show closer.

JOSHUA TREE:

Streets and Bullet are almost certainly going to be there.  With or Without You is highly likely.  Still Haven't Found is iffy, though one of their most popular and well known.  I could see the first four tracks being played almost every night.

Bono seems better at going up into the higher registers now so I'd love for the remastering of JT and his vocal condition to have finally convinced them to play Red Hill Mining Town.  Bono's notes in the JT remaster mention the power of that song.  I'd also love In God's Country (sure to be played in Arizona) and Exit, but I doubt it.

RATTLE AND HUM:

I'm sure we'll see All I Want Is You at some point, though not every night.  Desire and Angel of Harlem may show up.  I also wonder if Edge's recent performance of Van Diemen's Land at the O2 in Dublin is a signal that they might be thinking of that.

ACHTUNG BABY:

Until the End of the World is highly likely and almost a lock.  One is a lock.  Mysterious Ways will show up.  I'd like to see them bring back Even Better Than the Real Thing since they brought back Zoo Station last time out.  Hasn't been a regular since POPMart and only showed up 10 times on Elevation.

ZOOROPA:

We'll get Stay maybe.  Wish we'd get more.  This album deserved more than being played on a handful of dates Down Under with a couple of shows in Europe.  Dirty Day, Lemon, and Daddy's Gonna Pay were all great live.  Haven't heard the renditions of Babyface and Zooropa that were played and Numb is a much better album track.

POP:

They've been avoiding POP like the plague unfortunately.  Wake Up Dead Man seems like it would work next to Unknown Caller.  I could see them bringing Gone back.  I'd love the live version of Discotheque.  We'll get one track from POP IF we're lucky.

ATYCLB:

Beautiful Day is pretty close to a lock.  I agree with those that say Elevation may be put out to pasture.  I'd love to see Kite brought back.  In A Little While and Stuck In A Moment would work as well.

HTDAAB:

Vertigo is probably a lock.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them keep City of Blinding Lights.  I also think they may hold on to Original of the Species since they didn't really figure it out until the latter half of Vertigo.  I could see them playing three to four tracks off of HTDAAB: Vertigo, City, Original, and Yahweh with All Because of You maybe thrown in occasionally.

OTHER:

Probably won't see Saints Are Coming or Window in the Skies.  Nor HMTMKMKM.  Not too sure we'll see any non-album tracks.

Too much great stuff to put into too small a space.  I'd LOVE for them to take the setlist up to 26 but I just don't see it happening.  They've had two hour concerts since Zoo TV and they don't seem to like to play forever like Springsteen.  Adding four songs wouldn't stretch the show out all that much - it'd end up at around 2.5 hours.  I'd love that but they probably would not.

Offline kristbg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Head first, then foot, then heart sets sail
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 06:39:56 PM »
First of all, great post!

So eight from No Line.  Streets is a lock.  Pride is a lock.  Bullet is a lock.  One is a lock.  That means that we get 10 songs beyond that, maybe 12 if the band decide to expand the setlist.  Here's what I think album by album:

I agree on Pride, Streets and One, but I'm not so sure Bullet is a lock this time. Maybe they'll keep UTEOTW and drop Bullet.

WAR:

I think they might drop Sunday Bloody Sunday again.  It has gotten tons of play on the last THREE tours between the full bad version and Edge's solo version from POPMart.  New Year's Day is very likely to make appearances unless they are tired of it and 40 probably will be back as show closer unless they decide to use another song from the new album or even Yahweh from the last one.  I'd love to see them resurrect Two Hearts Beat As One but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree. I'm not sure Sunday Bloody Sunday will make much sense in this tour. One more reason for them to drop Bullet.

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE:

Already mentioned Pride.  Wire would actually fit in with the new material but I seriously doubt they'll pull it out of mothballs.  I hope Bad is included but I know Edge lobbies hard to strike it from the setlist every time.  I'd love for Bad to be the show closer.

I think this is where the surprises will come from. Pride is obviously in, Bad is very likely to make it (with Bono's newfound voice - how do you know that tidbit about Edge?)... but I think we're getting ASOH or Unforgettable Fire.

JOSHUA TREE:

Streets and Bullet are almost certainly going to be there.  With or Without You is highly likely.  Still Haven't Found is iffy, though one of their most popular and well known.  I could see the first four tracks being played almost every night.

Bono seems better at going up into the higher registers now so I'd love for the remastering of JT and his vocal condition to have finally convinced them to play Red Hill Mining Town.  Bono's notes in the JT remaster mention the power of that song.  I'd also love In God's Country (sure to be played in Arizona) and Exit, but I doubt it.

My guess is that ISHFWILF and WOWY will be rotated in and out of the setlist each night. Streets is always in.

RATTLE AND HUM:

I'm sure we'll see All I Want Is You at some point, though not every night.  Desire and Angel of Harlem may show up.  I also wonder if Edge's recent performance of Van Diemen's Land at the O2 in Dublin is a signal that they might be thinking of that.

I'm not holding my breath for any songs from Rattle and Hum, but I think All I Want Is You would be a fine closer. Playing "40" would sound too much like the last tour, not to mention the entire 80's (and I don't think they want that this time around).

ACHTUNG BABY:

Until the End of the World is highly likely and almost a lock.  One is a lock.  Mysterious Ways will show up.  I'd like to see them bring back Even Better Than the Real Thing since they brought back Zoo Station last time out.  Hasn't been a regular since POPMart and only showed up 10 times on Elevation.

I think Mysterious Ways is a lock. I'd love them to keep The Fly on the setlist, but I don't think it'll happen. EBTTRT would be nice.

ZOOROPA:

We'll get Stay maybe.  Wish we'd get more.  This album deserved more than being played on a handful of dates Down Under with a couple of shows in Europe.  Dirty Day, Lemon, and Daddy's Gonna Pay were all great live.  Haven't heard the renditions of Babyface and Zooropa that were played and Numb is a much better album track.

I was hoping for Numb, but I lost my hopes the moment I heard Unknown Caller for the first time. Speaking of First Time, it should appear on the B-stage a few times. They rehearsed Lemon for the Vertigo Tour... maybe they'll pull it out this time?
lucky.

ATYCLB:

Beautiful Day is pretty close to a lock.  I agree with those that say Elevation may be put out to pasture.  I'd love to see Kite brought back.  In A Little While and Stuck In A Moment would work as well.

Yeah, Beautiful Day is a lock. Nothing else rom here, I think. Maybe Stuck in a Moment on the B-stage and Elevation on the later legs.

HTDAAB:

Vertigo is probably a lock.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them keep City of Blinding Lights.  I also think they may hold on to Original of the Species since they didn't really figure it out until the latter half of Vertigo.  I could see them playing three to four tracks off of HTDAAB: Vertigo, City, Original, and Yahweh with All Because of You maybe thrown in occasionally.

I see only a couple of tracks from HTDAAb being played. Vertigo is a lock. My guess for the other one would be Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, but OOTS could be it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:42:29 PM by kristbg »

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »
First of all, great post!

Thank you.

I agree on Pride, Streets and One, but I'm not so sure Bullet is a lock this time. Maybe they'll keep UTEOTW and drop Bullet.

I wouldn't mind that.  I love Bullet but I think it is wearing out its welcome a bit and they really stopped evolving the song after POPMart.  It's not the same experience as Pride or Streets.  It also might be sacrilegious, but there are other tracks I'd much rather hear over One.  Love the song and doubt they'd remove it, but it's not even near the top of my favorite songs off of AB (though every song on Achtung is great).

Definitely would rather have UTEOTW.  If that's already in then maybe substitute in Gone for Bullet or Two Hearts Beat As One. 

I don't envy the band.  Having to create setlists is probably a pain knowing how many different fans want different things coupled with the boys probably preferring different tracks themselves.

I think this is where the surprises will come from. Pride is obviously in, Bad is very likely to make it (with Bono's newfound voice - how do you know that tidbit about Edge?)... but I think we're getting ASOH or Unforgettable Fire.

I can't remember where I heard the tidbit on Edge.  It was an interview somewhere on the last tour where Bono said that Edge had been trying to get Bad booted ever since after JT but he was overruled by the other three.  They did drop it at the end of ZooTV and didn't play it on POPMart until near the end.  I remember Bono detailing how they selected songs for a tour.  Each song needed at least three votes to be played on tour.  It sounded like they would go over their whole catalog during several rounds of voting.

I'm not holding my breath for any songs from Rattle and Hum, but I think All I Want Is You would be a fine closer. Playing "40" would sound too much like the last tour, not to mention the entire 80's (and I don't think they want that this time around).

All I Want Is You worked well to close out the last show of Vertigo.  Bad could work.  Walk On worked really well on Elevation and they might be willing to bring it back to close out shows.  I think it is an option since it took most of the last tour off.

I think Mysterious Ways is a lock. I'd love them to keep The Fly on the setlist, but I don't think it'll happen. EBTTRT would be nice.

It also seems like Boots is going to have a video showing somewhat akin to The Fly as well, though with the lyrics on screen.  That might just be their promo video, but I doubt it.  That means The Fly is probably out.  An acoustic version of Wild Horses could make an appearance, though I'm pretty sure that Horses is not their favorite.  I got to see them play it in Miami on the last tour and loved it, but they only did it because someone requested it.

I was hoping for Numb, but I lost my hopes the moment I heard Unknown Caller for the first time. Speaking of First Time, it should appear on the B-stage a few times. They rehearsed Lemon for the Vertigo Tour... maybe they'll pull it out this time?
lucky.

I only can go off the Sydney recording of Numb and it just seemed flat in concert.  I love it on the album but it was the weakest track in the show for me.  If Bono's falsetto is working then Lemon is a real possibility.  Would love it to open up the encore.

ATYCLB:

I see only a couple of tracks from HTDAAb being played. Vertigo is a lock. My guess for the other one would be Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, but OOTS could be it.

The reason I think Sometimes will get cut is because of the emotional baggage there.  I wish Vertigo wouldn't be in the set list but it was a big hit and a lot of newer fans, especially the more casual ones, identify with it.  I'd rather keep City of Blinding Lights and I think Yahweh as an acoustic number could definitely stick.  Could even have Yahweh lead into All I Want Is You to close. 

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »
Ugh, enough with Pride and City of Blinding Lights.  I think they should only play one song each from ATYCLB and HTDAAB, Pick and choose Elevation, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, All Because Of You.

Put Mysterious Ways on the shelf and bring back Until The End of The World with the bullfighting, bring in Even Better Than the Real Thing and Ultraviolet, and hell why they're at it, play Love is Blindness in the encore.

Play Streets if they are going to do it with the intensity and feeling pre-Vertigo, Play Bad (can't let that one go)

Play 7/8 new tracks and then fill in the rest of the setlist from night to night with different songs.  I loved the B-stage acoustic versions of Angel of Harlem, Please and Wild Honey that I saw during Elevation.  I would love to see All I want is You live and what the hell play Windows as well.

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 10:13:04 PM »
It's too bad that with all the lighting/scene/video cues and all the sequences that Edge dials up (plus poor Dallas down in the pit)... you can only vary the set list so much before you pretty much have to reprogram everything.
I'd be willing to bet that the show will use Boots as the opener, with Bono rising against an LED screen a la ZOO TV. Everything After that is a guess...
but it's fun to guess... so...

1. Get On Your Boots
2. Vertigo
3. Gone
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Breathe
6. No Line on the Horizon
7. Until the End of the World
8. New Years Day
9. Unknown Caller
10. Magnificent
11. Still Haven't Found
12. Fez- Being Born
13. Bullet the Blue Sky
14. Love and Peace or Else -or- Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Beautiful Day
16. Pride
17. Running to Stand Still (zoo tv version. It was the best transition to streets... and use RED this time...)
18. Streets

19. Even Better than the Real Thing
20. One

21. City of Blinding Lights
22. Bad/40

I'd love to see Gloria again (they did it at the Vertigo show in Cleveland), as well as the acoustic "Staring at the Sun" and "Please". Oh- and "Stay". I'm also hoping for a return of Bad. That one is for the die hard fans... it almost doesn't matter if Bono can sing the "WIDE AWAKE"... there are 25,000 screaming it... God it's great.
Pride could also be shelved a bit... but I doubt it. Bono has even seemed to take note that MLK was shot in the early evening on April 4th and has made the adjustment...

At any rate... catch shows on multiple legs, and you're likely to see a variety of songs. They seem to play LOTS of new stuff on leg 1, and more old stuff by leg 3.

Offline latindrummer2112

• Refugee
  • my gig review blog ->latindrummer.wordpress.com
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 12:15:24 AM »
It's always fun guessing what the band has up their sleeves for the live show. No doubt they'll throw us a couple curve balls (sorry for the American expression). I remember having dinner in my apartment in March 2005. KROQ was reporting on the Vertigo Tour rehearsals in San Diego. My jaw dropped when the DJ mentioned that Electric Co. was busted out  :o  Hearing that back to back with An Cat Dubh the first night of the tour almost made me cream my pants. Can't wait for the new surprises. This tour is going to be bitchin ;D

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 12:29:33 AM »
Although I would love to see the apocalyptic trio of  SBS, Love and Peace, and Bullet (Love all 3 esp if they play them together), I am starting to wonder if there is a possibility they may drop these this tour.

One of the themes emerging from the album seems to be rebirth/renewal:  It is certainly on No Line On the Horizon, Unknown Caller, Fez-being Born and seems present in Moment of Surrender, Get on Your Boots, Breathe, and Stand Up Comedy.  Overall this is a positive forward looking theme and not as much of a critique on the the state of war or the world.

That along with the band playing at Obama's inaugural seems to support a sense from the band or album of an opportunity for rebirth/renewal.  So maybe songs like SBS, Love and Peace, and Bullet may not fit into the message.

This makes me believe that Pride and City of Blinding Lights are both locks for the entire tour (or at least in the US).  Going off of this I can certainly see Beautiful Day as a lock as well.

Where Elevation was about recovery reevaluation and healing, I think this tour may be more about opportunity

Songs that I think could fit this:
Wake Up Dead Man - although it is a darker song, it is still ultimately a cry and call for action for God to wake up, the world to wake up, a call to action for themselves.  Plus it wold add some variety in mood
ZooStation
Gone
Bad - Yes I know its about addiction but ultimately there is a feeling of release as it builds and climaxes so it could fit
Running to Stand Still - see above
Walk On
Zooropa
A Sort Of Homecoming
MLK
Mysterious Ways

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 12:42:36 AM »
It's always fun guessing what the band has up their sleeves for the live show. No doubt they'll throw us a couple curve balls (sorry for the American expression). I remember having dinner in my apartment in March 2005. KROQ was reporting on the Vertigo Tour rehearsals in San Diego. My jaw dropped when the DJ mentioned that Electric Co. was busted out  :o  Hearing that back to back with An Cat Dubh the first night of the tour almost made me cream my pants. Can't wait for the new surprises. This tour is going to be bitchin ;D

I got to go to the rehearsals!  My freind knew someone who worked with goldenvoice or something like that.  My memory is bad... I cant remember if we were bussed in.  I think I remember meeting up at the Paladium in LAand being bussed to the rehearsal site.

Offline tacoisahotburito

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »
I have this strange feeling .. and maybe I'm wrong, but do only Americans like City of Blinding Lights, or is it just me? (I'm really curious). And yes, howcome?
I don't know anybody who likes this song that much, and jet it is in a lot of 'dream setlists'.

And please 'All because of you'? That didn't do it on the album and on the last tour for me, so a big NO, please.

Offline kristbg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Head first, then foot, then heart sets sail
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »
I'm from Brazil, and COBL is my favorite track out of HTDAAB. I just don't think it's going to be on the setlist for the next tour.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Setlist for the Tour
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 03:43:38 PM »
I've been thinking that a great way for U2 to stick it to their critics who say that they've lost their edge and are simply playing it safe would be to do the following on the upcoming tour:

1). Begin the set with Fez - Being Born
2). End the set with Unknown Caller
3). Play the whole album (minus one track, see #8).
4). Have the setlist lean heavily on their '90s material.
5). In light of #4, scrap the familiar stuff like Mysterious Ways and One and replace them with songs like Acrobat, Zooropa, and even Lady With the Spinning Head.
6). Scrap all the '80s favorites like I Will Follow or Pride and, if they're going to play their '80s stuff at all, reintroduce songs like Exit or something akin to the Bono/Adam version of Tomorrow.
7). As for their new millennium stuff, play Electtrical Storm, Fast Cars, and Crumbs From Your Table during the part of the set when they play Crazy Tonight.
8 ). Don't play Get On Your Boots (!)

Can you imagine if U2 had the balls to try something like this? They would prove once and for all that they're not a greatest hits band, and their not going to rest on their laurels and be unwilling to venture into unfamiliar territory.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:50:25 PM by The Exile »

Offline memusa

• Babyface
  • Chan!
Re: Setlist for the Tour
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »
Dunno if I can be as specific, but I definitely see this tour will be injected heavily from songs in POP, The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree (besides the obvious, that is). Some songs I have a feeling will be back...Gone will definitely be brought back, hopefully we'll see other gems arise such as Please, A Sort of Homecoming and Exit.