Author Topic: Will Bono's falsetto be more prominent on new album?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
Will Bono's falsetto be more prominent on new album?
« on: November 24, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »
I have watched the latest 2 videos from U2--This is and Ordinary love--multiple times. I think Bono's voice is strong on both. His falsetto is back in good form. Do you think these 2 songs are a glimpse into what his vocal performance will be on the new album...more falsetto? Do you like it as much as me?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Will Bono's falsetto be more prominent on new album?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »
Bono sounds better to me when he sings in a lowdr register - the falsetto is ok in moderation but too much of it isn't a good thing

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
I'd like to see more of his falsetto on the new album for sure. I think his voice sounds so strong at the moment, I just hope that they can capture that magic on record.

Offline Taco

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I like tacos
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 05:17:27 PM »
I love Bono's falsetto and I do believe that we'll be hearing more of it.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 06:09:57 PM »
Sadly, if Bono wants to go to the upper registers these days, he has no choice but to use falsetto.  Whereas back in 1993 it was a novelty, now it's become a necessity.

Part of the reason his vocals were so powerful in the 80's and early 90's was that he could hit those higher notes using his full voice.  Age and abusing his instrument has not done him any favors.

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 04:31:21 AM »
i wouldn't mind.  better that his singing on HTDAAB or NLOTH, that's for sure!
though i believe he's getting a big help now out of DM's production.

surit87

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 04:34:27 AM »
He doesn't seem to have problems using it in studio... it's in live performances where he routinely falters.

Offline stahlissimo

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 05:08:14 AM »
My opinion: Bonos´ voice ist too damaged to sing a well sounding falsetto. Someone should tell him. His falsetto on "Ordinary Song" is terrible. Just studio technique saved his ass. I don´t want to imagine U2 performing this song live  :o It could be a shocking desaster comparable with Whitney Houston singing "I Will Alway Love You" a few years ago.  :-[

Bono should go on a much lower level with his voice. That would sound cooler and rockier (listen to the beginning of WOWY or The Fly).

I think the collapse of his falsetto began during Popmart already. Henceforward it never sounded so good like at the time of Zoo TV. 

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »
I thought the same thing.  There was that 30-second snippet on the @U2 homepage a few months back of Bono and The Edge singing something (in French?) and they were in falsetto.  After hearing “Ordinary Love” and owning the Danger Mouse produced Black Keys music with their use of falsetto, I’m thinking the same thing – I think there’ll be prominent use of falsetto on the new album. 

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »
I sort of think Bono has consciously tried for a rougher falsetto.  But there comes a point where you can either hit the note or not.  I suppose what Bono has found or at least what I have found in listening to Bono is that in trying for those upper registers he is being more emotional then he would be if he just stayed in his current vocal range.  But he needs to be careful, first not to damage his voice more and second that it sounds painful when he sings.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sadly, if Bono wants to go to the upper registers these days, he has no choice but to use falsetto.  Whereas back in 1993 it was a novelty, now it's become a necessity.

Part of the reason his vocals were so powerful in the 80's and early 90's was that he could hit those higher notes using his full voice.  Age and abusing his instrument has not done him any favors.

It's Bono's lower range and falsetto that have been a problem in the last 15 years, his voice is higher in tone than in previous years. He can do more with his vocals than he could in the late 90's-mid 00's so that's something. He had something of a renaissance after the Vertigo tour which has been pleasing.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »
Hopefully he'll sing Lemon on the next tour.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »
I don't think so. It will pop up about as often as usually on a U2 album. Personally I don't hear what's so great about Ordinary Love or This is falsettos. I think he's never sounded weaker in that particular area of his voice.

Offline Ln X

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hopefully he'll sing Lemon on the next tour.

But those were the days when he could power out a falsetto voice. In Lemon and Numb you hear that power whereas in Ordinary Love it seems stunted.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »
Ordinary Love's falsetto wouldn't sound right belting out the falsetto notes though. The dynamic of a vocal has to serve the song. Not everything can or should be a No Line On The Horizon wail.