Author Topic: Whats the Last Album You Listened to in Full  (Read 155312 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Whats the Last Album You Listened to in Full
« Reply #3240 on: April 03, 2017, 04:16:11 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #3241 on: April 05, 2017, 11:38:14 AM »

i LOVE this album.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #3242 on: April 05, 2017, 01:40:25 PM »
Jean-Michel Jarre: Oxygene 2 (from the Oxygene Trilogy)

I'm really loving this set.  Great synth sounds, melodic but still atmospheric.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #3243 on: April 05, 2017, 10:24:50 PM »
"Boy" - U2. Picked this up on vinyl yesterday (used original copy from the 80s) and was amazed at how good it sounded. Definitely gave me a new appreciation for the record.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3244 on: April 06, 2017, 04:31:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Boy" - U2. Picked this up on vinyl yesterday (used original copy from the 80s) and was amazed at how good it sounded. Definitely gave me a new appreciation for the record.

A great album, agreed.  The late 70s/early 80s was a really great time for pop music.

I first heard Boy on vinyl back in the day... in fact all of the U2 albums pre-RnH I first heard on vinyl.  I'm guessing guess you got hold of the US version with the censored album cover rather than the European one with Peter Rowen on the cover?

USA:visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Europe: visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's hoping you find a cheap vinyl copy of October and give that album a re-visit as I think it has a really special ambience that you might appreciate.  Was listening to a bootleg from TUF tour where they played I Fall Down and it was so good - check out the audio on youtube: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #3245 on: April 06, 2017, 12:59:22 PM »
^I have original pressings with both covers, one from the U.S. and one from the U.K.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #3246 on: April 06, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »
Right now I'm spinning My Love is Cool by Wolf Alice.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #3247 on: April 06, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »
Right now I'm spinning My Love is Cool by Wolf Alice.

One of the best albums of the last couple of years.

When people come out with statements like 'rock music is dead' 'there are no good guitar bands coming through' albums like this make those statements look silly.

If alt rock was in fashion an album as good as this one would see the hype off the scale - sadly we live in times where an album this good flies under the radar really....hell if u2 put together an album this good for example this place would be in raptures...

If anyone hasn't given this album a spin - do....trust me it is fantastic.

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3248 on: April 06, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
Deep Purple - Machine Head

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #3249 on: April 06, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #3250 on: April 07, 2017, 01:43:21 PM »

have been in a Beatles mood recently!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #3251 on: April 07, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3252 on: April 07, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »

Couple months ago stumbled across "Hometown" track on Pandora. Heard "Ride" on the radio.  Finally found my new current band I like.  The kiddos scored all the tix to my local concert.

Hear me out . . . These guys are the future of mainstream music

When I listen to them I hear the best parts of the past 50 years of music.  Not thrown haphazardly into a blender.  It's almost as if they (with producer help) deconstructed the genome of music history, to certain splices of good musically DNA and reassembled it into their own sound.

Eminem, Linkin Park, The Killers are pretty self evident as influences.

They definitely have the U2 DNA strand of knowing how to create an anthem that gets the entire arena on their feet.

Keeping the quick-catchy songs right around 3 minutes is hallmark Beatles.  They are the Beatles of Generation Z.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #3253 on: April 07, 2017, 04:04:52 PM »

A great album, agreed.  The late 70s/early 80s was a really great time for pop music.

I first heard Boy on vinyl back in the day... in fact all of the U2 albums pre-RnH I first heard on vinyl.  I'm guessing guess you got hold of the US version with the censored album cover rather than the European one with Peter Rowen on the cover?

USA:visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Europe: visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's hoping you find a cheap vinyl copy of October and give that album a re-visit as I think it has a really special ambience that you might appreciate.  Was listening to a bootleg from TUF tour where they played I Fall Down and it was so good - check out the audio on youtube: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Correct, I got the censored one with the inner sleeve containing the actual Boy artwork. It didn't dawn on me afterwards that the cover was different, then I remembered reading about the US version getting a different cover due to censoring. Indie record store guy commented that it was a great album while ringing me up (also picked up a vinyl copy of Rattle & Hum for my nieces, he didn't have anything to say about that one haha).

I think I will see about getting October since that remains my least favorite album by a huge margin. I believe the record shop just down the road had a copy last time I was in there, only like $10 for most vinyls in that place. I've also got HTDAAB vinyl coming the end of April.  :)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3254 on: April 07, 2017, 06:09:35 PM »

Correct, I got the censored one with the inner sleeve containing the actual Boy artwork. It didn't dawn on me afterwards that the cover was different, then I remembered reading about the US version getting a different cover due to censoring. Indie record store guy commented that it was a great album while ringing me up (also picked up a vinyl copy of Rattle & Hum for my nieces, he didn't have anything to say about that one haha).

I think I will see about getting October since that remains my least favorite album by a huge margin. I believe the record shop just down the road had a copy last time I was in there, only like $10 for most vinyls in that place. I've also got HTDAAB vinyl coming the end of April.  :)

I've also got the American vinyl of Boy, bought back in the mid-80s, and mine doesn't have the original artwork on the inside, just a plain sleeve - so you did well.  Your indie record store guy sounds like he has good taste  :)  Ask him what he thinks about October, though perhaps it just isn't your thing.  I find it deeply evocative of a pretty bleak time and a record on which Bono really expresses his young angst unlike on any other album.  On purely musical terms it is limited.

Hope you enjoy your HTDAAB vinyl when it comes in... ashamed to say I don't even have that one on CD.  Was watching the 10-song Milan DVD they put out on that tour and it shows they were a very good live band at that time.  The Italian audience makes it a great watch too.  It's actually one of my very favourite official live video releases from U2.