Author Topic: OFFICIAL 2013 in music recap thread!!  (Read 1365 times)

smee

Re: OFFICIAL 2013 in music recap thread!!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »
I forgot that this year, i enjoyed hearing the song The Mother We Shared by CHVRCHES

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I guess you could say that im not really up to speed with whats happening in the current music scene. Truth is, the overwhelming majority of music i listen to and buy, is from the distant past. But, i am aware of SOME music from 2013.

Best albums of 2013

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
David Bowie - The Next Day
Atoms For Peace - Amok

Thats about all the albums from 2013 i have heard

I'm in the same boat--even with a new Rdio account, most of the stuff I'm interested in exploring is older.  "Current music" just seems such a foreign concept to me these days.  As far as that goes, David Bowie was the highlight--go figure, as I'm a long-time fan, but that one really surprised me with how good it was.

Other than that, I liked McCartney.  And Arcade Fire was bloated, but with some good songs in there.  Oh, and I liked Joy Formidable.

It's hard not to notice that most of those acts are all older, too.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
What were your favorite albums/songs/live acts of 2013? Favorite debut act? Album that surprised you? Disappointments?  Talk about it all here.

Will have my personal final rankings done soon. 8)

Fave album: Olympia - Austra

Fave song: "Wishful" - Stars

Fave live act: Austra. Katie Stelmanis is a tiny female Bono onstage.

Fave debut act: Lorde. Don't know if she'll ever deliver another good album, but she did it this year and that's enough.

Album that surprised me in a good way: Transnational - VNV Nation. Maybe their best album ever in what has been, on balance, a great career.

Album that surprised me in a bad way: Reflektor - Arcade Fire. I thought they could get no worse than that pile of horse droppings called The Suburbs, but I obviously underestimated their ability and ambition. Oh, well...I'll always have those first two albums.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
best packaging goes to Childish Gambino - Because the Internet

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
What were your favorite albums/songs/live acts of 2013? Favorite debut act? Album that surprised you? Disappointments?  Talk about it all here.

Will have my personal final rankings done soon. 8)

Fave album: Olympia - Austra

Fave song: "Wishful" - Stars

Fave live act: Austra. Katie Stelmanis is a tiny female Bono onstage.

Fave debut act: Lorde. Don't know if she'll ever deliver another good album, but she did it this year and that's enough.

Album that surprised me in a good way: Transnational - VNV Nation. Maybe their best album ever in what has been, on balance, a great career.

Album that surprised me in a bad way: Reflektor - Arcade Fire. I thought they could get no worse than that pile of horse droppings called The Suburbs, but I obviously underestimated their ability and ambition. Oh, well...I'll always have those first two albums.

whoops - forgot Biggest Disappointment...Apoptygma Berzerk spent a lot of time earlier in the year teasing us fans about some sort of new release. Well, seeing as their last album came out in January 2009, I was getting mega stoked.

The end of July came around, and what did we get? A single...which turned out to be a cover of Peter Schilling's song "Major Tom." W...T...F?!!