Author Topic: Bono's opinions on United States drone policy?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline zeppo1

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Bono's opinions on United States drone policy?
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »
Hey all....

I'm new here and just did a search for this, but couldn't find anything.

Was watching the "Bullet The Blue Sky" bit of the Zoo Tv tour last night--- the one where Edge is talking before they cut to the song about remote-control killling and the dehuamaizton of war, etc.

Was wondering what Bono and the band's current opinions are about such issues as drone strikes, kill lists, NSA surveillance, etc.   Have they discussed this anywhere?

thanks!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Re: Bono's opinions on United States drone policy?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »
Do you think the people on Beyoncé and Jay-Z forums ask about their foreign policy stands? Just asking

Offline zeppo1

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you think the people on Beyoncé and Jay-Z forums ask about their foreign policy stands? Just asking

No, I don't.

Because Beyoncé and Jay-Z - to my knowledge - have never taken outspoken political stances, or written lyrics like:

"In the howling wind comes a stinging rain
See it driving nails
Into the souls on the tree of pain
From the firefly, a red orange glow
See the face of fear
Running scared in the valley below"

Nor do I think the artists you mention authored anything like an entire album that focused on the emotional, human aspects of War.

zootv

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »
Who cares what Bono thinks about the US drone policy? I know I don't. 

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
What rude responses for a new poster!

I know there are plenty of other threads where people discuss the band's extra-musical projects and positions, so I'm holding out hope that someone more interested in this stuff gives zeppo1 a little more consideration he/she has gotten so far.

And I would add that people on Beyoncé and Jay-Z forums probably talk about all kinds of minutia that wouldn't appeal to the casual fan. Maybe it's not drone strikes and debt relief, but no doubt the fan speculation and debate is engaging for them.   

zootv

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »
I think this post was meant to incite an argument. Here we have a brand new member, no intro, and their very first post is asking about a controversial issue. Maybe post an into first so we can get to know you. Then start controversial threads.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
hi welcome to this forum...given what bono has said about things like this in the past i would say he would be dead set against it.. however since the drop the dept campaign he tends to keep his thoughts on things like this to himself as he needs to stay on  friendly terms with western govs,

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 04:12:48 PM »
Never mind what Bono's views are on these issues; what do the liberals and supporters of Obama think about them because their silence is deafening?

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »
I am a liberal and a supporter of Obama.  I actually managed the building of  the facility where they developed and build them. Are the Tea Party supporters silent due to  wanting smaller government (but a $600 billion defense budget)? Do the defense contractors get a free pass from the conservatives? Their silence is deafening!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am a liberal and a supporter of Obama.

There are some thoughts pending.

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 05:22:51 PM »
Wait a minute, you need to "give an intro before posting here"?

Is that somewhere in the @u2 forum policy?  I found nothing wrong with the question other than how thin skinned other posters are. 

As a U2 fan who has been plenty critical of Bono's political stances recently I find this type of narrow minded thinking rude.  I found nothing to suggest trolling in the post.

To answer this person's question, U2 has never taken a formal position against drones, however U2's past positions at least on stage would lead me to believe that they are against drones.

In regards to any silence that U2 or Bono may have on the issue, Bono certainly has a rather complicated relationship with the US congress and the President.  Taking political positions may jeopardize his main work.  In Washington, the Pols have very long memories

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »
Bono's focus is on Africa and Aids. His efforts on these issues have silenced him on other issues.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 08:11:48 PM »
I never gave an intro before posting here. I've just been building up my posts to get forum cred. You know.....relevancy.  ;D

Borack

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 11:32:19 PM »
First, a belated welcome to the forum.
Second, I do not regard you as a troll nor do I believe you are trying to incite controversy. In fact, your reference to the lyric was relevant. Third, I think SoCruel is correct and I do not think Bono has a strong or loud opinion on the matter. It seems to me that he tends to focus on big yet complex issues where there are thousands or millions of "innocent" victims involved who are suffering from famine or injustice or factors they can be addressed or resolved through UN endorsed or multilateral programs. By contrast, the use of drones (especially for attack versus surveillance)?would seem to be complex, localized, and involve some villains and good guys, however defined. The results could also be mixed, due to some collateral damage. Given the complexity and probably the band's desire not to offend a country, I would expect Bono to remain basically mute. Taking a strong stance either way could just perturb fans with little upside. Welcome again and do good day to you and others too.

surit87

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 12:18:49 AM »
Bono has implied his horror of aerial strikes on innocent civilians on the Vertigo tour performances of BTBS. He's not openly condemning it because of fears he may fall out of favor with crucial governments on the debt campaign. It's not good to keep a candle burning on both ends.