Author Topic: Bono's opinions on United States drone policy?  (Read 3112 times)

satellitedog01

Re: Bono's opinions on United States drone policy?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 03:17:38 AM »
He's waiting for a practical jetpack, so in his eyes drones are passé.

surit87

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 05:53:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So now he's gonna stop swinging around whilst performing Ultraviolet. :P

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 06:12:16 AM »
I say bring back Bullet the Blue Sky on the next tour and use it to reference the drone strikes.  El Salvador and Hill Street Blues are dated now, so Bono could sing "I can't tell the difference between CNN and Mad Men" instead.  The Edge could do a great imitating sound of a drone coming down with his guitar and effects pedal.  "Outside it's America, America. And we run and we run into the arms of Obama."

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »

Bono and Edge have been seen trying out the latest prototype.....

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 09:11:10 AM »

Bono and Edge have been seen trying out the latest prototype.....

;D Yeah, that's Bono, too heavy to fly off.  Heavy as a truck.

But, alas, Michael Jackson's already done it (well, his stuntman has) on the Dangerous Tour 20 years ago.  And we all know how U2 like to innovate in the presentation of the modern rock show and not follow where others have trodden.

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
Bongos opinions on US drone usage ? Don't know don't care.

It's not like he or anyone else here has any kind of clearance to know the benefits or results to any great degree.

Offline zeppo1

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 08:01:49 PM »
Thanks to those discussing.

No, I am not interested in creating a controversy. Honestly, maybe I'm too much of a true believer.  I don't like to think Bono was putting on a persona when he "didn't mean to bug us" with his comments on war, and I also would like to beleive that when he sings about "standing up for love" that that love is inclusive of everyone and has no borders.

I'm interested if he silenced himself on United States policies on things like drones, torture, and surveillance because of what Runtmg said

To answer this person's question, U2 has never taken a formal position against drones, however U2's past positions at least on stage would lead me to believe that they are against drones.

In regards to any silence that U2 or Bono may have on the issue, Bono certainly has a rather complicated relationship with the US congress and the President.  Taking political positions may jeopardize his main work.  In Washington, the Pols have very long memories

Or... is it a case of now that he is friends with the president - he is less angry and has to consciously bite his tongue.  I believe you can be both respectful to the President and speak out against polices like "kill lists", and the more I look/hear older stuff I am very surprised he hasn't spoken out against this stuff.

But I'm going to go with Runtmg.  I like to believe he has to play politics to get stuff done like aids relief in africa.  I'm just very fascinated when does the angry rocker turn into a diplomat - and which one of those roles is more effective.

Offline U2Edge

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »
Thanks to those discussing.

No, I am not interested in creating a controversy. Honestly, maybe I'm too much of a true believer.  I don't like to think Bono was putting on a persona when he "didn't mean to bug us" with his comments on war, and I also would like to beleive that when he sings about "standing up for love" that that love is inclusive of everyone and has no borders.

I'm interested if he silenced himself on United States policies on things like drones, torture, and surveillance because of what Runtmg said

To answer this person's question, U2 has never taken a formal position against drones, however U2's past positions at least on stage would lead me to believe that they are against drones.

In regards to any silence that U2 or Bono may have on the issue, Bono certainly has a rather complicated relationship with the US congress and the President.  Taking political positions may jeopardize his main work.  In Washington, the Pols have very long memories

Or... is it a case of now that he is friends with the president - he is less angry and has to consciously bite his tongue.  I believe you can be both respectful to the President and speak out against polices like "kill lists", and the more I look/hear older stuff I am very surprised he hasn't spoken out against this stuff.

But I'm going to go with Runtmg.  I like to believe he has to play politics to get stuff done like aids relief in africa.  I'm just very fascinated when does the angry rocker turn into a diplomat - and which one of those roles is more effective.

Remember that Bono and the band supported US military air strikes back in the 1990s against the Bosnia Serbs. This was detailed in the book "Until The End Of The World". In the year end 2001 issue of Hot Press Magazine in Ireland, Bono stated that he supported the US military invasion of Afghanistan. In that same article Bono stated that he is not a pacifist. So it appears that the idea that Bono and the band are pacifist opposed to all war or military action is an inaccurate or heavily outdated idea.

Bono probably has a more complex view of drone strikes rather than simply just for or against.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »
A discussion about kill lists, drones, Liberal/conservative divide? Ah, yes, the fresh smell of the @U2 forum!!!!

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »
Hey all....

I'm new here and just did a search for this, but couldn't find anything.

Was watching the "Bullet The Blue Sky" bit of the Zoo Tv tour last night--- the one where Edge is talking before they cut to the song about remote-control killling and the dehuamaizton of war, etc.

Was wondering what Bono and the band's current opinions are about such issues as drone strikes, kill lists, NSA surveillance, etc.   Have they discussed this anywhere?

thanks!

Hi and welcome!   :)

I haven't read anything on what Bono's position would be.  I think he is more focused on getting aid for Africa from the United States and Europe. 

I also think, your question is a good one.

Offline Ln X

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 06:00:47 AM »
I think outwardly Bono has become more pro-United States for the sake of obtaining money for various charities. In Bono's case he is fascinated by America but I would say unimpressed with the US government. The Joshua Tree is an example of this, it was an album shaped by U2's fascination of the country yet there were songs like Bullet The Blue Sky and In God's Country. The former criticizing the US foreign policy and providing arms to rebels to destabilize countries (something which is still continuing- Syria), and the latter is akin to an attack on the American dream.

Even in the early 90s U2, or Bono more like, made a thing of mocking America. Let us not forget Mirrorball Man or Bono's endless prank calls to the White House. But then something changed in the early 2000s when Bono went on a crusade for charity, aid and debt relief. Bono needed American money for his various charities and philanthropic endeavours and he needs even more of it today. So it's a case of not biting the hand which giveth.

I'm sure inwardly Bono (and U2) may be dismayed at recent US foreign policy, the drone strikes, NSA plus all the crony capitalism which has run amok (I'm thinking 'crooked crosses' from In God's Country). But because Bono is an ambassador-like figure he's got to keep his tongue in check lest the US government snub him.

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »
Yes he may be dismayed. Then again he may not.

Not that his opinion on the subject matters.

Offline zeppo1

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
Yes he may be dismayed. Then again he may not.

Not that his opinion on the subject matters.

I disagree.

I don't think for instance someone like Gene Simmons' opinion on the subject matters - because KISS never came off as anything more than a crazy go-nuts rock show.  But if - like Bono - you profess your heroes to be nonviolent (MLK, Ghandi), write songs like "Pride (in the name of love)", Bullet The Blue Sky, albums like War--- where a band bases itself on something  more than standard rock which express no viewpoint on such matters, where a band preaches - and seems to believe about real love and spirituality -- I think his opinion very much matters.

I'm interested to learn that Bono supported the war in Afghanistan.  Sometimes I think I grew up listening to an entirely different band. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »
I think Bono just grew up.

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 11:45:08 AM »
I highly doubt Obama or Hagel give 2 hoots on bongos opinion of drone strikes.

Maybe his opinion matters to people not actually involved with US military and counter terrorism policy.