Author Topic: Can the rules be more specific?  (Read 6629 times)

zootv

Re: Can the rules be more specific?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 03:40:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm afraid to post now. Feels like kindergarten , IMO. 

You're welcome to use another U2 fan forum, zootv. There are other options out there if you decide this isn't the type of community you want to help grow and be part of.

Ironically, one reason we've rewritten the rules is that a great many others have left the forum out of fear of posting, too. But not fear of violating any rule -- fear of being trampled and trashed by other users. That's no way to build a healthy community.

The take it or leave it attitude is not a way to build a healthy community either.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 04:10:08 PM »

You're welcome to use another U2 fan forum, zootv. There are other options out there if you decide this isn't the type of community you want to help grow and be part of.

Ironically, one reason we've rewritten the rules is that a great many others have left the forum out of fear of posting, too. But not fear of violating any rule -- fear of being trampled and trashed by other users. That's no way to build a healthy community.

I think the new rules are great.  I haven't posted in a while just for that exact reason, "being trampled and trashed".  I've been a member of this forum from day 1 and the amount of trash talk lately has just been too much!  Thanks m2 and the moderators. 

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »
Its like going in a pub, the landlord does not have a big long list of what you can and cant do on the wall, but the patrons know what is obviously over the line and the rest of it is done between landlord and patron as and when there is an "issue" with the overriding priority the good of all the patrons, staff and landlord...

For what it is worth I would say just post as you do and if and when there is a "problem" trust in the judgment of the landlord and his staff!

I'd say that's a pretty good analogy. And it would be impossible for us to write a comprehensive list of "Don't Dos" because we can't predict the future, can't predict what situations will arise, etc. So "don't be a d**k" is the general, overriding idea that we kept returning to while discussing the new rules.

In the rules and guidelines, we use the public park analogy -- but the idea is the same. Another analogy we talked about was the GA line at a U2 concert, and how fans typically converse and treat each other in that setting. It's very much a community of like-minded people that don't always agree with each other, but always disagree and interact in a fun, respectful way.

again not exactly quibbling over the rules not being written down precisely necessarily but when the landlord throws you out ur pretty clear on whats being done and why. you usually have to go a way over the line to get to that point so its more about the behaviour more approaching that limit (wouldnt like the forum to allow acceptable pub behaviour for example).

also not sure about the parks analogy as from my experience parks have few extended conversations and fairly few interaction in general between people that dont know each other.

i tend to think the nature of the way the rules are written make it harder or less likely for mod to be able to tell when its time to step in as well as giving them good basis to explain what the problem is (my main point i guess).

Trust me when I say that the discussions we've had over the past month will make it much easier for the mods to identify the kinds of behavior that don't fit with what we want this community to be.

That's not to say everything will be perfect; we're all human, after all. But we are all on the same page and have a clear vision of where things need to go.

sounds good, and i dont think anyone is expecting perfection.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:33:28 PM by soapit »

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »

I think the new rules are great.  I haven't posted in a while just for that exact reason, "being trampled and trashed".  I've been a member of this forum from day 1 and the amount of trash talk lately has just been too much!  Thanks m2 and the moderators. 

from day 1 eh.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 04:27:45 PM »
I like the new rules. I don't think they're too vague; I think people should use common sense when deciding if what they're about to post would offend someone. For example, no one likes hearing that their opinions are worthless or being personally attacked (which is the same). That's being a d**k, I take it. Or just imagine how you would talk to someone in real life. I've noticed a lot of arguments people get into on the Internet are not things one would usually bother arguing over in person, possibly because of the anonymity factor...

But I did have one really minor problem- the use of the word "d**k." ;) I mean, you can completely disregard this, but I thought it was a childish word to use and that "jerk" would work too, as well as I'm not sure if it's PG language (but I haven't watched PG movies in a long time so I wouldn't know anymore!). Probably doesn't matter, that was just how I felt.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
My policy from now on is just to ignore the very few idiots who I feel drag the forum down.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »
I like the new rules. I don't think they're too vague; I think people should use common sense when deciding if what they're about to post would offend someone. For example, no one likes hearing that their opinions are worthless or being personally attacked (which is the same). That's being a d**k, I take it. Or just imagine how you would talk to someone in real life. I've noticed a lot of arguments people get into on the Internet are not things one would usually bother arguing over in person, possibly because of the anonymity factor...

But I did have one really minor problem- the use of the word "d**k." ;) I mean, you can completely disregard this, but I thought it was a childish word to use and that "jerk" would work too, as well as I'm not sure if it's PG language (but I haven't watched PG movies in a long time so I wouldn't know anymore!). Probably doesn't matter, that was just how I felt.

you'd have loved the name of the rule that the mods came up with on another forum i post on. It was even worse - admittedly on an over 18's forum with a lads down the ale house vibe....  rule the same as the one here really...... the interesting thing is that i can only recall one person getting banned by it - it worked, people got it!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:59:15 PM by Droo »

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »

you'd have loved the name of the rule that the mods came up with on another forum i post on. It was even worse - admittedly on an over 18's forum with a lads down the ale house vibe....  rule the same as the one here really...... the interesting thing is that i can only recall one person getting banned by it - it worked, people got it!
Looks like it wasn't appropriate to share here, if the mod's editing of your comment is anything to go by!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »

Looks like it wasn't appropriate to share here, if the mod's editing of your comment is anything to go by!

i had already starred out the offending word myself, in exactly the same way that the word in the name of the rule here was starred out - so a bit unsure why it needed removing totally but there you go....

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
gender bias?

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
You couldn't possibly argue that the word you starred out was on the same level of profanity as "d*ck".

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
Gender bias? *insert unamused smiley here*

Ah. So the word I used is PG and the word he used is not. I'm pretty sure I can guess what that was.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »
You couldn't possibly argue that the word you starred out was on the same level of profanity as "d*ck".

Of course I could, but that's your perception as mine is mine you are entitled to it and you have the mod panel..... pointless arguing. I starred it out, you chose to delete it.

The word profanity does make me smile though, I guess its a culture clash I can imagine we are very different in our outlooks/backgrounds.... no biggie!

Online briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 05:34:16 PM »
What will happen is there will be a steel hammer for a month or two where people will get a ticking off for saying "bottom".

So ride it out til March.

If that's your approach, I predict you're likely to be gone from the forum by April 1. There's nothing short-term about this. I promise.

Dammit! That means I'll miss all the "u2 to duet with Ke$ha/t-pain/one direction" threads on April 1st.

Ill be good. I'm always good.

Reasonable person test applied to any "i got offended" reports should be all that's required.

Online briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »
My policy from now on is just to ignore the very few idiots who I feel drag the forum down.