Author Topic: New song during Super Bowl  (Read 13793 times)

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
Re: New song during Super Bowl
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2014, 05:38:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Guys, this is just a bloody one off single I think, with no connection to the album. That's what everything that U2 has said about it seems to imply. Wishing otherwise but not getting my hopes up.

You might be right, I just can't see them going on Fallon with one song. It doesn't add up...

Isn't there a chance that they'll simply perform material that's already been released (including Ordinary love) as opposed to new songs?

Maybe "invisible" and "ordinary love"...possible. You might be right...

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2014, 05:45:40 AM »
Guys, this is just a bloody one off single I think, with no connection to the album. That's what everything that U2 has said about it seems to imply. Wishing otherwise but not getting my hopes up.
that is what I was thinking, but then thought why would thye spend 4 million on a superbowl commercial for a charity single that is not going to be on their new album?  Doesn't make sense.

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2014, 05:59:45 AM »
that is what I was thinking, but then thought why would thye spend 4 million on a superbowl commercial for a charity single that is not going to be on their new album?  Doesn't make sense.

Interesting point...

Offline The Slow Loris

• Refugee
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2014, 06:31:36 AM »

Because U2 would not be footing the bill. The commercial will be for a product. U2's single will be promoting that product. U2 will not ask for money (remember the Vertigo IPod add?). They will get free promotion for the RED charity, and wil be donating their new single (in all likelihood for free). They may even tie in the release date for their new album towards the end of the commercial (as compensation for donating their song for free), but I wouldn't bet on it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:37:00 AM by The Slow Loris »

Offline rexstardust

• Refugee
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2014, 11:39:34 AM »
I see TurboTax bought a Super Bowl commercial...

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »
ROTFLOL

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2014, 01:16:35 PM »

Because U2 would not be footing the bill. The commercial will be for a product. U2's single will be promoting that product. U2 will not ask for money (remember the Vertigo IPod add?). They will get free promotion for the RED charity, and wil be donating their new single (in all likelihood for free). They may even tie in the release date for their new album towards the end of the commercial (as compensation for donating their song for free), but I wouldn't bet on it.

who will be footing the bill?  Any sponsors will definely want something back in return for their 4 million. the ipod commercial didn't cost them 4 million and they themselves benefited from it from the sales of the U2 ipod. 

Offline The Slow Loris

• Refugee
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2014, 01:23:53 PM »

who will be footing the bill?  Any sponsors will definely want something back in return for their 4 million. the ipod commercial didn't cost them 4 million and they themselves benefited from it from the sales of the U2 ipod.

Who is footing the bill? The company that is getting the biggest viewership in America for their commercial. Why would any company spend 4 million on a Superbowl commercial?? Exposure combined with a great product equals huge profit. Tying it in with a charity equals even greater profit. Tying it in with a great new U2 song AND a great product equals even greater profit for said company.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2014, 05:27:12 PM »

Ba dum pshh

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2014, 05:28:34 PM »
Best Post of 2014. calling it now

Offline Wtn24

• Stateless
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »
By tying it to Red allows the sponsor to get a tax deduction. 4 million might sound a lot to us but for major companies it is nothing but a drop in the bucket. Plus you add in the Red and what it stands for equals a tax cut. Pretty simple

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
because U2 isn't spending $4,000,000: I doubt they will spend anything. Their corporate partner - Beats Music, perhaps - will pay.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2014, 11:59:41 PM »
I have read that Beats Music definitely have a Superbowl ad. They are tight lipped about it (which I assume is pretty normal for SB ads but never paid much attention to pre SB gossip about them before). Also read that Kia will be using music heavily in their SB ad (yeah, who doesn't though, i know), but can you imagine the new "Kia Invisible" car.

I am tipping the U2 ad is to support Beats and that U2 is simply donating part of proceeds to Red which will be barely mentioned in the ad. Gets various publicity in various different ways. Those of you expecting an album announcement will be disappointed in my view. Think we will then get a new single in April or later, with album to follow in June or later. All works as a nice build up for U2 having received publicity for Ordinary Love, Invisible with SB and Red and then a new single and the album to come. There is simply not enough tour related rumours going on to suggest the album and a tour are close at hand. Or, of course, I have got it all wrong. 

Offline Zooropean

• Wanderer
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2014, 12:50:45 AM »

Interesting point...

Yes, but how many people watch the SB. A slot is just a slot without substance and they know that. The simplest of gestures can capture the imagination if the timing is right.

Some publicity you cannot buy.

Offline Man Dreams One Day to Fly

• Wanderer
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2014, 07:17:43 AM »
Yes, but how many people watch the SB. A slot is just a slot without substance and they know that. The simplest of gestures can capture the imagination if the timing is right.

Some publicity you cannot buy.

108.69 million people watched Super Bowl XLVII (last year's one) on average in the U.S.