Author Topic: New song during Super Bowl  (Read 13840 times)

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
Re: New song during Super Bowl
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2014, 08:42:12 AM »
I'm expecting U2 to take up a lot of the commercial just like. All the people in the beats commercial.

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2014, 11:19:05 PM »
Now we know this isn't a tie-in with Beats.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2014, 01:43:58 AM »
U2 probably not cool enough

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2014, 04:21:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes, but how many people watch the SB. A slot is just a slot without substance and they know that. The simplest of gestures can capture the imagination if the timing is right.

Some publicity you cannot buy.

But the ads are watched worldwide. Heck, they're more watched and reported on than the game itself.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2014, 07:23:05 AM »
Yes, but how many people watch the SB. A slot is just a slot without substance and they know that. The simplest of gestures can capture the imagination if the timing is right.

Some publicity you cannot buy.

But the ads are watched worldwide. Heck, they're more watched and reported on than the game itself.

That's why U2 announced their plan a full week and a half before the Super Bowl too. It will be reported by every major news outlet in every medium, so they paid for airtime but they're already getting publicity from just a simple post on their website. And the (RED) donation and the free download gives it a nice bit of substance.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2014, 08:10:34 AM »
Guys, this is just a bloody one off single I think, with no connection to the album. That's what everything that U2 has said about it seems to imply. Wishing otherwise but not getting my hopes up.
that is what I was thinking, but then thought why would thye spend 4 million on a superbowl commercial for a charity single that is not going to be on their new album?  Doesn't make sense.

Because U2 would not be footing the bill. The commercial will be for a product. U2's single will be promoting that product. U2 will not ask for money (remember the Vertigo IPod add?). They will get free promotion for the RED charity, and wil be donating their new single (in all likelihood for free). They may even tie in the release date for their new album towards the end of the commercial (as compensation for donating their song for free), but I wouldn't bet on it.

who will be footing the bill?  Any sponsors will definely want something back in return for their 4 million. the ipod commercial didn't cost them 4 million and they themselves benefited from it from the sales of the U2 ipod.

Who is footing the bill? The company that is getting the biggest viewership in America for their commercial. Why would any company spend 4 million on a Superbowl commercial?? Exposure combined with a great product equals huge profit. Tying it in with a charity equals even greater profit. Tying it in with a great new U2 song AND a great product equals even greater profit for said company.

Looks like it's an ad for (RED):   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline The Slow Loris

• Refugee
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2014, 08:13:54 AM »
Guys, this is just a bloody one off single I think, with no connection to the album. That's what everything that U2 has said about it seems to imply. Wishing otherwise but not getting my hopes up.
that is what I was thinking, but then thought why would thye spend 4 million on a superbowl commercial for a charity single that is not going to be on their new album?  Doesn't make sense.

Because U2 would not be footing the bill. The commercial will be for a product. U2's single will be promoting that product. U2 will not ask for money (remember the Vertigo IPod add?). They will get free promotion for the RED charity, and wil be donating their new single (in all likelihood for free). They may even tie in the release date for their new album towards the end of the commercial (as compensation for donating their song for free), but I wouldn't bet on it.

who will be footing the bill?  Any sponsors will definely want something back in return for their 4 million. the ipod commercial didn't cost them 4 million and they themselves benefited from it from the sales of the U2 ipod.

Who is footing the bill? The company that is getting the biggest viewership in America for their commercial. Why would any company spend 4 million on a Superbowl commercial?? Exposure combined with a great product equals huge profit. Tying it in with a charity equals even greater profit. Tying it in with a great new U2 song AND a great product equals even greater profit for said company.

Looks like it's an ad for (RED):   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yes, which works very well since RED has many partners who can share the cost. I wouldn't be surprised if Bank of America are throwing in most of it though. They needed the image makeover.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »
Bank of America will be footing the bill for this. (RED) and U2 will not pay a penny

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »
That's what I'm guessing. Well, I'm guessing U2 will be paying for the actual music video, or their record company would. They'll be able to use that long after this promo is finished - since I'm assuming it's more of a music video that's being used in a commercial. And not a commercial that's made to look like a music video.

But I could be wrong.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
Bank of America will be footing the bill for this. (RED) and U2 will not pay a penny

Yup, brilliant isn't it. Get someone else to pay to promote your new music, while also aiding a good cause.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2014, 03:37:31 PM »
The RED ad will air in between the 1st and 2nd quarters:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

...also, that Audi ad with Sarah McLachlan sounds like a hoot!   :D

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2014, 06:55:30 PM »

The RED ad will air in between the 1st and 2nd quarters:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

...also, that Audi ad with Sarah McLachlan sounds like a hoot!   :D

I'm glad we know now. I assumed it would be around halftime but I guess they don't want to interfere with Bruno Mars.

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »

[/quote]

Bono says it's on the album here in this video:

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »
I guess there is a possibility they have persuaded whoever needs to be persuaded to waive the $4m cost as it's for charity?

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2014, 07:07:52 AM »
I doubt it. If they do it for U2, BoA and (RED), how many companies would just tie their product to a charity for next year? Every single one.