Author Topic: You can only build anticipation for so long....then the hell with it.  (Read 1644 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
I've been a fan for too long to totally disregard any release from this band but the latest USA articles took a lot of wind out the sails.  I was really thinking that the Super Bowl, Jimmy Fallon combo was a sign of good news around the corner for album release and tour announcement.  I was listening to a bit more U2.  Watching some iconic video like the Super Bowl appearance....gearing up as they say.  Now Bono talking about a Summer release and more production when we were told they wanted to be done by Christmas 2013?  Danger Mouse either is sworn to secrecy or just has lost all excitement around the record.  Every time he's asked about it...it's like, "eh, can't really say anything."  It's never, I really love working with those guys, etc.  I'd love to hear a conversation between Danger Mouse and Rick Rubin about U2's creative process.  Anyway, I digress.  U2: Just pick a freaking date and honor it.  Deadlines can do wonders for motivation and creativity.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Re: You can only build anticipation for so long....then the hell with it.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:00:20 AM »
It's their album, they can do what they want.

Given their career, I trust their judgment.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:10:56 AM »

They are simply working to their own – probably strict – timetable.   Everything will be coordinated around the new tour, which in itself will be highly planned and organised.  There is a lot of money at stake and U2 are in partnership with a very business minded organisation in LiveNation.  I’m sure everything is coming along nicely.  The new single and new album will ‘promote’ the tour and help spur ticket sales.  Thankfully, there’s a lot of money to be made from concert tours, which is the only reason why we’re getting a new album.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »
yea, yea, yea.....of course they can do what the hell they want.  This about sums it up: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline who922

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »
I have to agree with the OP.  Set a date and stick with it.  I know they have earned the right to do what they want, but as the fans who put the money in their pockets we deserve some consideration as well.  The continuing saga of the perpetually moving date really gets on my last nerve!

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
yea, yea, yea.....of course they can do what the hell they want.  This about sums it up: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Good. one less person trying to get in front of me in the ticket line. Would that a million more follow his lead.

Offline Parkhead080893

• Wanderer
  • In the shadow, boy meets man
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
I have to agree with this post. We were told it would be done for last summer, and now it's 12 months later. I can't say I believe it will be this summer, more like end of the year!
You see, I believe there is a timeline between material of no more than 4 years, then it starts to become damaging, just release the bloody thing!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »

They are simply working to their own – probably strict – timetable.   Everything will be coordinated around the new tour, which in itself will be highly planned and organised.  There is a lot of money at stake and U2 are in partnership with a very business minded organisation in LiveNation.  I’m sure everything is coming along nicely.  The new single and new album will ‘promote’ the tour and help spur ticket sales.  Thankfully, there’s a lot of money to be made from concert tours, which is the only reason why we’re getting a new album.

oh I don't think so, TD. If that were the case, we'd have had the Rick a Rubin record, Spider-Man and SOA....just do they could tour. They care deeply about having new hits....

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:40 PM »
I don't mind, I got other musical tastes going on - but I would appreciate it if the guys don't 'over-produce' the album with 'too many cooks in the kitchen' because we know the result...

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 11:55:25 PM »
I doubt they'll use stuff that wasv4 years ago

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 12:08:18 AM »

oh I don't think so, TD. If that were the case, we'd have had the Rick a Rubin record, Spider-Man and SOA....just do they could tour. They care deeply about having new hits....

So you think we'd still get a new album if there wasn't going to be a tour?  I don't.

Offline rager1969

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 01:22:10 AM »
It's their album, they can do what they want.

Given their career, I trust their judgment.

Sure, but how can you be relevant if you don't release material?  Also, if you spend too much time, you'll never be finished.  There will always be something else you want to change, some new song that catches your imagination.  It could turn into a mess and they might even decide to start all over.  Look at the recording history of the last GNR album - that could happen to U2 if they are not careful.  U2's track record in the past 7 - 8 years shows this is a real possibility.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:24:57 AM by rager1969 »

Offline shadent

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 07:07:15 AM »
The problem with picking a date and sticking to it is you get something like Pop which needed about 6 months more work but they set a deadline and were stuck. That said it is ridiculous how long it takes them to make an album.

Offline Philaboy1971

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 07:25:05 AM »
Just to compare , it's been 8 years since the last Tool album.

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
It is 2014, there is technology and recording equipment where they can jam out two songs a day.  I have to believe they have generated over 100 songs of new material.  The problem is picking what new material to go with.