Author Topic: You can only build anticipation for so long....then the hell with it.  (Read 1645 times)

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
Re: You can only build anticipation for so long....then the hell with it.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »
Bono's most recent comments from Today's USA Today article seems to believe that he really cares about putting out the best album. That we, the fans, deserve a great album. I must I respect the B Man's intentions, they tend to over-produce/cook their albums.
Sometimes, releasing an album that is not overly produced (last their last 2 albums) is not a bad thing.
They need to stop second-guessing themselves and release the f#@k >:(ing album already!

Offline bangandclatter

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been a fan for too long to totally disregard any release from this band but the latest USA articles took a lot of wind out the sails.  I was really thinking that the Super Bowl, Jimmy Fallon combo was a sign of good news around the corner for album release and tour announcement.  I was listening to a bit more U2.  Watching some iconic video like the Super Bowl appearance....gearing up as they say.  Now Bono talking about a Summer release and more production when we were told they wanted to be done by Christmas 2013?  Danger Mouse either is sworn to secrecy or just has lost all excitement around the record.  Every time he's asked about it...it's like, "eh, can't really say anything."  It's never, I really love working with those guys, etc.  I'd love to hear a conversation between Danger Mouse and Rick Rubin about U2's creative process.  Anyway, I digress.  U2: Just pick a freaking date and honor it.  Deadlines can do wonders for motivation and creativity.

Well said. I had very similar thoughts.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 01:10:16 PM »
I'll admit it's growing tiring. You can't remain relevant when you only release an album every four or five years. Today's market is over-saturated with songs and artists, meaning that the public also has a very short attention span and is likely to forget about artists pretty quickly. If the band released an album every two or three years they would be able to not only remain in the public eye but also keep their fans happy.

I adore this band but for the life of me I cannot figure out why it's taking them so long. I understand wanting to make a great record, and I totally respect that, but after a certain period of time it seems strange that they have little or nothing to show for all that work. I'm worried they're letting time get away from them.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'll admit it's growing tiring. You can't remain relevant when you only release an album every four or five years. Today's market is over-saturated with songs and artists, meaning that the public also has a very short attention span and is likely to forget about artists pretty quickly. If the band released an album every two or three years they would be able to not only remain in the public eye but also keep their fans happy.

I adore this band but for the life of me I cannot figure out why it's taking them so long. I understand wanting to make a great record, and I totally respect that, but after a certain period of time it seems strange that they have little or nothing to show for all that work. I'm worried they're letting time get away from them.

Bono needs to stop saying it has to be great and we want to get it right. I'd rather he not say anything. I'd rather he take a year off and focus on his music. He's apparently taken more than a decade off for not focusing on his music.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 07:01:50 AM »
This thread sums up my feelings. The recent article is pretty shattering. I really dont understand why they cant be more truthful with their fans. I'd rather they just say they dont know when they will release it. And most of what we are getting here is through ad hoc brief interviews rather than announcements or thru their website. Perhaps the most concerning thing though is that it takes so much effort from them to come up with an album. 5 years for this one, No Line they needed to scrap Rubin and start over. Could this album be the end and that is why they are trying so hard??? If it takes this long and this much effort to be relevant, have they lost all relevancy in the process??? Afterall, to many music fans that arent avid U2 fans, they have become "invisible". Sorry, couldnt resist. Still looking forward to tomorrow. 9 hours to go...