Poll

What do you think of Invisible?

Superb
Good
Average
Poor
Rubbish

Author Topic: Mixed Emotions About Invisible  (Read 13532 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Mixed Emotions About Invisible
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm amazed that 75% of the members polled think it's either superb or good.

We recognize excellent quality when we hear it!  8) Invisible is a Classic!

Fair do's.  I'm just amazed is all.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
I voted average. I find the music kind of grating. The electric saw noise is bad and the song is better in the parts without it. The lyrics are good. I've listened to it five times and I'm just not feeling it.

I've listened to it w/ headphones and w/o, on iTunes and on Youtube, probably about 1 times now. It's growing and the thing I still don't care for is the electric saw noise, or maybe it's a hyped up dental drill?  :o  ;)

Guitar is Coldplay starting at 1:00 and truly Killersesque at 2:37. Other than that, it's somewhat Edgelike. Now to rid it of that saw/drill thing!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2014, 03:06:24 PM »

We recognize excellent quality when we hear it!  8) Invisible is a Classic!

Fair do's.  I'm just amazed is all.

I don't find it that surprising - an ok u2 song is always going to get talked up by superfans especially in the immediate aftermath of its release....

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2014, 03:07:16 PM »

It's a new U2 song on a U2 fan forum. It doesn't matter that they had released today, many here would love it 'cause it's new U2. Let it set in and we'll see in a few years how many feel it is superb.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »
I voted average. I find the music kind of grating. The electric saw noise is bad and the song is better in the parts without it. The lyrics are good. I've listened to it five times and I'm just not feeling it.

I've listened to it w/ headphones and w/o, on iTunes and on Youtube, probably about 1 times now. It's growing and the thing I still don't care for is the electric saw noise, or maybe it's a hyped up dental drill?  :o  ;)

Guitar is Coldplay starting at 1:00 and truly Killersesque at 2:37. Other than that, it's somewhat Edgelike. Now to rid it of that saw/drill thing!

The latter guitar part reminds me of the killers when we were young

The whole song has a killers vibe to it IMO

The more I hear it the more I think it would benefit from more urgent verses and if it wasnt quite so polished

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2014, 03:13:09 PM »

The more I hear it the more I think it would benefit from more urgent verses and if it wasnt quite so polished

Take the "pop" out of it and I think it would have the potential to be great. I'd love to hear how U2 in the late '80's would have done this song.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »

Take the "pop" out of it and I think it would have the potential to be great. I'd love to hear how U2 in the late '80's would have done this song.

It really was a different band back then.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2014, 03:17:02 PM »

Yeah - I said this earlier - it could be a very good song, but they have polished away at it (it sounds to me) to make it "mainstream" and that hurts it - i'd also much like to hear the original lyrics, which sound like they tell a story that could be interesting...... i have listened to it a couple more times tonight and I like it a bit more than i did - and defo more than OL, which I actually despise.

I'd be interested to hear a longer version of this a bit less poppy and one where they sort that ending out

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2014, 03:20:04 PM »

Is it me or are they pushing Larry and Adam to the background with the last few songs (Invisible and Ordinary Love) ? That's why I wonder how this would sound if they had recorded it back in the late 80's. Bring Mr. Mullen Jr back please.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2014, 03:20:45 PM »
Yeah the original lyrics with mention of Waterloo Station bring the song alive a bit more.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »

Is it me or are they pushing Larry and Adam to the background with the last few songs (Invisible and Ordinary Love) ? That's why I wonder how this would sound if they had recorded it back in the late 80's. Bring Mr. Mullen Jr back please.

Maybe it was their day off when the others recorded it.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »
Yeah the original lyrics with mention of Waterloo Station bring the song alive a bit more.

By the way TD, please don't change your picture. I can stare at Jacqueline Smith all day long.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »

By the way TD, please don't change your picture. I can stare at Jacqueline Smith all day long.

Gorgeous woman!!

Could be Larry's back problems and Adam is newly married. That would be enough for them to not be there or as in on things at the moment.

Offline Streets

• Stateless
  • I hear voices, ridiculous voices.
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
I quite like it. While overall it's uplifting only in a sort of generic "poppy" way, and the verses as Bono sings them don't seem to have much of a melody, I find myself listening to this on repeat. Personally, a very welcome addition to the U2 catalog. It has the potential to be a "hit," and it was already trending on Facebook earlier.

That said, we might be over-analyzing this song. We could randomly pick any U2 song, even those considered excellent by most, and nitpick all day. If Invisible were just another song on the new album (as Bono said it will be), not released as a one-off (as we're treating it), the general consensus, mine included, might be a bit more favorable than it is now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:05:25 PM by Streets »

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2014, 04:13:46 PM »
I know what it DOESN'T sound like......a band of dudes in their 50s mailing it in.