Poll

What do you think of Invisible?

Superb
Good
Average
Poor
Rubbish

Author Topic: Mixed Emotions About Invisible  (Read 13316 times)

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
Re: Mixed Emotions About Invisible
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
So is that a drum machine?  Where's Larry?

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2014, 08:37:58 PM »
I don't even like Get on Your Boots but I think it's a better song than Invisible...

Offline Streets

• Stateless
  • I hear voices, ridiculous voices.
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2014, 09:12:56 PM »
After the umpteenth listen, it's a grower. The lyrics are simple, but, after thinking about them more, they're really good. Another happy U2 fan today.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2014, 09:28:13 PM »
i'd classify this as a grower and that's great. Zooropa and Boy were growers to me and Zooropa rose up in my rankings over the past year to #3.

Invis. stuck in my head far more than OL ever did.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:32:38 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
I offered some thoughts on the lyrics here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mofo_spacejunk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2014, 10:20:57 PM »
Just had 2 listens on the ipod. . . It does not quite go where it promises to. . A better ending would help. . Bono's singing is decent in the main - a very ropey 'them' near the end though!

Is it the sound of 'the worlds greatest rock and roll band' at the very top of their game? No.

Is it a song that is a jaw dropping belter with something that makes it sound epic? No.

Its a decent song that i feel could be better for a bit more 'power' and as i say a better ending.

It's average for me - just missing good for being a bit lightweight and that ending which had they turned into a powerful explosive coda would have pushed it into good territory for me.

It almost sounds restrained/unfinished - which may be the edit just curtailing it.

It just falls short of lift off and needs a bit more fire.

Not terrible, not great - just average.... And the more i hear the more it reminds me of the killers.

Interestingly the next song on my ipod was arcade fires wake up - which eclipses invisible totally.

6.5/10

Arcade Fire just about eclipses anything U2 has done, let alone Invisible.

Offline jdoyle

• Babyface
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2014, 10:22:55 PM »
I have listened to it alot today. I am a fan from way back. Dublin born, U2's music has accompanied me through my life. I am always eager to hear what they will do next.

I voted "good" But at this stage of their career, is good good enough? My expectations are low for U2 these days. I got tired of the hype with every U2 album of the last ten years. "This is the album we have waited our whole life to make" , "Edge is on fire" etc.

I had high hopes for NLOTH, and was very let down. So I am very cautious. But I am still listening to this song unlike "Get on your boots" which was just awful.  It is deceptively catchy and accessible, but there are layers there which deserve more listening. I much prefer the ideas of the original lyrics ( on the making of video on the U2 Facebook page) , and they fit the sound of the song so much better than the final result, but it overall still fits.

So I am still divided. I like it, it is good, but not superb. And U2 need an album now which is up there with their best. Otherwise I really think they should call it a day.

So does it make me excited about the new album? A cautious yes. We shall see.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
MofoSJ-  AF?  :o
Positively not! Anything? Think again or at all! ;)

surit87

« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2014, 10:34:51 PM »
I voted 'good', it had Bono's passion written all over it. Casual fans will dig it. As for me, I'm looking for nothing short of a 'superb' song and I hope the album will provide that.

Offline mofo_spacejunk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2014, 10:36:01 PM »

Sorry that should've read Wake Up eclipses .... and not AF

I reckon that Wake Up is better than 95% of U2 songs. It's my fav AF song by far, because I have attached a lot of personal sentimentality to it.

I think there are only 15 or so U2 songs I like more than Wake Up.

Don't worry, I like U2 more than AF. AF have one great album Funeral, two okay albums Reflektor and Suburbs and one average = Neon Bible.

U2 has [IMO] 5 great albums [UF, JT, AB, Zooropa, Pop] and the rest are good or average [aside from October].

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »

Sorry that should've read Wake Up eclipses .... and not AF

I reckon that Wake Up is better than 95% of U2 songs. It's my fav AF song by far, because I have attached a lot of personal sentimentality to it.

I think there are only 15 or so U2 songs I like more than Wake Up.

Don't worry, I like U2 more than AF. AF have one great album Funeral, two okay albums Reflektor and Suburbs and one average = Neon Bible.

U2 has [IMO] 5 great albums [UF, JT, AB, Zooropa, Pop] and the rest are good or average [aside from October].

Attachment is powerful. Much better understand your thoughts with this clarification. Thanks for taking the time to do that. :)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
So is that a drum machine?  Where's Larry?

I think he's playing an part electric, part acoustic kit.

Still him, just sounds different  :)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2014, 10:42:09 PM »
It's a great song and a great video.....

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
Also, I'm really happy that people are divided on whether they like it or not. I haven't seen one comment which says "boring," which is great.

To me, it means the band is still capable of being interesting.

Offline Milk/Korova_1

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2014, 02:19:39 AM »
I am sad to say I voted 'poor'. Being a U2 fan since the early nineties, I hold all their eighties and nineties output in high regard. Pop is one of my all time favourite albums, so you might say I am of the unpolished-experimental sound U2-tribe. No suprise NLOTH is my favourite U2 album from the 00's, and I was hoping the band would continue down this line of experimentation and broadening of their sound.

Ordinary Love was a sign they were on quite a different track and Invisible proves the more so. While it's a more interesting song than OL, I'm disappointed by the end product. As pointed out previously in this thread, it compares to The Killers and Coldplay, and not their better work per se. The song starts out promising and I like Edge's little guitar solo, but the overal feeling is a bland and forgettable song. The 'no them, only us' chorus feels like thrown in, the song lacks a decent build up. Bono's singing, again, seems out of sync with the music, it is mixed too much to the front. And finally, as with most of their work from the last decade, it feels very much over-produced.

Maybe the final album version will be better and longer, after all this is an edit for (RED). I'd like the new album to have more heart and less brain when it comes to the music. But with all the going back-and-forth production wise, reading even Dangermouse might be pulled out at the end fase, I have little hope left.