Poll

What do you think of Invisible?

Superb
Good
Average
Poor
Rubbish

Author Topic: Mixed Emotions About Invisible  (Read 13425 times)

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
Re: Mixed Emotions About Invisible
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2014, 04:31:05 AM »
gave it a listen..its good ..would not make my top 30 u2 songs

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2014, 05:05:42 AM »
Some days you get up and look in the mirror and ask yourself: “Why me?”

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2014, 07:26:28 AM »
I listened to it a second time on my commute to work this morning.  I'm liking it--it seems to be a good post-2000 track.  It's still not really anything compared to their heyday, but if they're going to occupy that same "vaguely-uplifting" kind of space, they at least have a decent melody.  Also, comparison to Coldplay is not unwarranted.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2014, 07:30:50 AM »
Weird. I listened to it again this morning and I like it LESS.

Offline rexstardust

• Refugee
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2014, 08:05:06 AM »
Not sure I can explain *why but I do like it more the more I listen to it.  The influences (Coldplay, Killers, Joy Division, etc.) are all stamped all over the song but I don't see that as a bad thing.  The production makes for a fresher sound - wiped away the "muddiness" which worked so well on AB but has run its course.  Bono's voice sounds excellent and I love that he's not straining into his higher register. 

For the most part, it seems to be what many of us expected (even if we hoped for something bold and epic).  It's a solid, COBL-style make-no-doubt-about-it U2 song.  My hope is the single they're holding back is the bold, epic song and that Invisible is the safe reintroduction. 

I voted GOOD. 

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2014, 08:08:39 AM »
I guess I'm in a minority on this one. This will be good for all the people who were whining for the last several years obviously. But it turns out I must like old skool U2 better.... Or I'm not ready to move with the band to this next level. I'm rather depressed.

I hope the Afghan Whigs don't disappoint me like this (they have a new release in April).

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2014, 08:13:47 AM »
U2 at their best and prrof they have turned their back on the horror that was the No Line On The Horizon album.

Cheers,

J

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2014, 08:14:37 AM »
I was wondering when Jick would show up. I feel like I conjured him.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2014, 08:20:26 AM »
I voted good. Pretty happy with this but not ecstatic. Most of all the song is interesting. OL was a bit dull even though ok. What I dont like is the outro. Would prefer that about 2/3rds thru after the face like snow line and then launch into the chorus so finishes on a high. Perhaps even delete the outro section completely. And even repeat "You dont see me but you will, I am not invisible, I am here" a couple of times. Then the song would be a soaring anthem. Am playing around on iTunes to cut up the song using multiple copies to see how it works out for fun. Whilst happy with the direction this seems to offer re the new album, would want a couple of much guitar heavier songs than this.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2014, 08:39:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I guess I'm in a minority on this one. This will be good for all the people who were whining for the last several years obviously. But it turns out I must like old skool U2 better.... Or I'm not ready to move with the band to this next level. I'm rather depressed.

I hope the Afghan Whigs don't disappoint me like this (they have a new release in April).

It's funny, because as I found myself enjoying the tune the second time, it also occurred to me that pre and post 2000 U2 are basically two different bands--and that for the stuff I do like since then, it's enjoyable in a sort of generic way.  I don't know exactly why or how this is--if their approach to songwriting changed that much, if it's to do with Bono's changing voice, or what.  But that main riff--that synthy "there is no end" refrain--does kind of scream Coldplay, and Bono's delivery is interchangeable with Chris Martin's.

For better or worse, I think U2 is firmly where they have been for the past 14 years.  ATYCLB could basically be their "first album" at this point. 

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2014, 08:43:48 AM »

It's funny, because as I found myself enjoying the tune the second time, it also occurred to me that pre and post 2000 U2 are basically two different bands--and that for the stuff I do like since then, it's enjoyable in a sort of generic way.  I don't know exactly why or how this is--if their approach to songwriting changed that much, if it's to do with Bono's changing voice, or what.  But that main riff--that synthy "there is no end" refrain--does kind of scream Coldplay, and Bono's delivery is interchangeable with Chris Martin's.

For better or worse, I think U2 is firmly where they have been for the past 14 years.  ATYCLB could basically be their "first album" at this point.

Yeah, I guess. I'll just have to get used to it, I suppose.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2014, 09:06:05 AM »
U2 pre and post 1990 were very different bands too. People just tend to like the 1990s stuff far more than the post 2000 stuff. There has probably been 2 major transitions R&H to AB and Pop to ATYCLB and 1 or 2 other minor ones along the way. I suspect the next album is another minor transition, which I see as a good thing.

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »
Seriously thinking about NOT seeing the boys this tour if the album doesn't impress me.

Mind you, if the album was just meh then that would be the only time I would wish for a greatest hits tour.

I love the band, but I don't know if it's just that I'm getting older and have seen the best of U2 already or I'm just not that bothered anymore....hmmm

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
Well, with a large sample size, I think this sums it up:

Good or Superb: 75.5%
Average: 16.6%
Disappointed: 8%

You're not going to get better than that on this forum! They could have written Where the streets have no name and 8% of the people on this forum wouldn't have liked it!!!!

Offline carvertronic

• Babyface
  • ...flowers in the mud baby
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »
This song is b-side quality at best. I'm not sure Joy Division is a good sound for U2 and I sure as hell don't want to be reminded of The Killers or some radio friendly generic current pop act. I am certainly up for more electronic elements. I like the bass in the beginning and the frozen days, frozen ways, melted snow bit into the chorus, there's almost a real moment. Edge's guitar effect lick bugs me to no end and sounds damn cheesy. The end guitar, what is that? If U2 wants to become another band how about David Bowie, maybe update that a bit with some Duran Duran. I would like to hear something new, interesting and fresh sounding from U2, but this and Ordinary Love are going on a playlist of b-sides and outtakes from the last 3 albums where they will fit in perfectly. This is a version of U2 we have heard before. Give me Dirty Day(Junk Day), Salome(Zooromancer), Happiness Is A Warm Gun(The Gun), Night And Day(Steel Remix), its a great place to be.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:32:55 PM by carvertronic »