Poll

What do you think of Invisible?

Superb
Good
Average
Poor
Rubbish

Author Topic: Mixed Emotions About Invisible  (Read 13401 times)

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
Re: Mixed Emotions About Invisible
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah the original lyrics with mention of Waterloo Station bring the song alive a bit more.

Yeah, I think I enjoy the original lyrics a bit more myself. Ah, well.

I had pretty high expectations. I don't think the song met them. The lyrics aren't quite connecting with me as much as I had hoped they would, but maybe that'll change. I don't mind the optimism of them, and maybe that'll cause them to grow on me.

As a whole, the song is growing on me. I really like the chorus. I don't like the drum machine that kicks things off. Bono sounds pretty strong to me. I like Bono's echoes bouncing around the background around the 1:30 mark.

I freaking LOVE the video, and the way Larry's drums seem to crackle at the beginning of that. It makes me think this could be an incredible song live - even though I know the concert was manufactured - the band seemed very energized, moreso than comes out in the edit of the song.

I think my one complaint is it's too short. I would love for it to go on for another couple of minutes. I don't think it quite hits its stride. I also wouldn't mind another verse connecting the lyrics to "There's no them, there's only us." Maybe there will be a longer version on the album?

I've listened to it 10+ times, and it's continuing to grow on me.

I'll call it good.

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
This song is b-side quality at best. I'm not sure Joy Division is a good sound for U2 and I sure as hell don't want to be reminded of The Killers or some radio friendly generic current pop act. I am certainly up for more electronic elements. I like the bass in the beginning and the frozen days, frozen ways, melted snow bit into the chorus, there's almost a real moment. Edge's guitar effect lick bugs me to no end and sounds damn cheesy. The end guitar, what is that? If U2 wants to become another band how about David Bowie, maybe update that a bit with some Duran Duran. I would like to hear something new, interesting and fresh sounding from U2, but this and Ordinary Love are going on a playlist of b-sides and outtakes from the last 3 albums where they will fit in perfectly. This is a version of U2 we have heard before. Give me Dirty Day(Junk Day), Salome(Zooromancer), Happiness Is A Warm Gun(The Gun), Night And Day, its a great place to be.
spot on, I completely agree... We have heard this before

Offline MyMindCanWander

• Babyface
  • But my soul, it can't be bought
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »
I have to admit, first of all, that I've not been able to read all the posts in this topic.  However, from what I have read here, and elsewhere, my first observation is: haters gonna hate.

There does seem to be a lot of negativity on this forum.  It strikes me that there are some here who are going to be overly negative about whatever U2 release.  I seem to recall reading, variously, dire predictions that Bono would be singing "In-vis-a-ble" like "Mag-ni-fi-cent" (for some reason, they don't like this); that 'Invisible' would sound like everything else U2 have done recently; that they'd wish U2 would produce something different, unlike their previous offerings; and that everything they've done recently has been sub-standard (including 'No Line on the Horizon' - although the album did offer something experimental, it wasn't in the incredibly particular way that they seemed to want).  And I have no doubt that at least one or two of them will react  negatively to this post, claiming that they have the right to express their negativity.

I guess they do.  But it's getting a bit boring, isn't it?  If you don't like U2, why visit a forum dedicated to them?  Surely you don't think that the band are poring over your every whine, and going back and rewriting their album just to please you?  I rather hope not.

As Matt has written elsewhere, this offering combines enough of the non-standard U2 sound with the usual U2 sound to sound interesting.  To me, that is.  I guess that, again, it's not experimental enough for the haters.  The lyric sounds sufficiently personal and heart-wrenching to engage me.  I guess it's just trite to the haters?  I like the Edge's contribution (that is, the repeated eighth notes, and chiming 1sts and 5ths.  I noted an early hater's post that he couldn't even detect the Edge in the mix.  I guess that he was hearing what he wanted to hear).  And, as bassist, I like that low end rumble.  Even if it is sequenced.  And finally, for those who say that this early indication means that they're going to hate the album: I bet that the version of 'Invisible' that is on the album is going to be rather different to this version.  And I bet you'll hate that version, too.

So, there we go.  That's my opinion.  For all you haters: bring it on.  Or, even better, do what you've been promising: stop listening to U2, stop posting on here, and go and do something less boring, instead.  Boring to us, that is.

Offline guitarmart

• Wanderer
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2014, 12:58:49 PM »
It's okay, but where are the riffs? Few and far between in that last decade or so.  All the classic U2 that they will be remembered for a long time from now had a riff: The Fly, Vertigo, New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow, Streets, etc.  I can't tell you what this band has meant to my life, but I think I'm willing to admit that they just don't do it for me anymore, and haven't for years.  On the other hand, I'll admit that I've always liked U2 for things that are outdated now, like angry, aggressive songs. They haven't wanted to be that band for a long, long, time. I keep hoping for something as in your face as "Bullet the Blue Sky", but it ain't gonna happen. Rock bands are out of favor. And the rock band I loved is gone.  Songs used to begin like "The Fly", and now instead we get pretty little keyboard bells in the intros to several songs, and tepid electronic drums. Jesus, I need to listed to "Like a Song" just to cleanse my pallet. 
While "Invisible" is not a bad song, for me it carries about as much aggressive, exciting bombast as Beyonce, which is what the band wants, but obviously not my thing. I think the quest to stay relevant now feels to me like that guy at the bar in his early 50's with his shirt open and the chains around his neck, trying to impress the ladies. Everyone thinks he's sad, but we let U2 get away with it. 

Please don't take this too serious, it is just a post from an aging musician longing for something long gone. The world has moved on, and so has U2.  I just don't think it's for me anymore, and that's okay. just not my thing.

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2014, 01:05:25 PM »
When you put your heroes on Babel-like pedestals then there's always going to be a long way to fall.

In some people's eyes U2 remain at the top.

Some think they have fallen.

Others have climbed the pedestals and flung them off.

:-|

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2014, 01:10:26 PM »
The single sounds like a publicity stunt (which raised significant money for a very good cause), probably has no relation to the other songs on the record, and was given away...if they're on their game, they won't put it on the record, as it's served it's purpose (i.e. they got something out). The band are in their classic "chop and change" mode and have pushed back the release another three months, which actually makes this fan of 32 years smile. It means they're trying to get it right. Who knows what this album is gonna sound like (if I get 5 great songs at this point I'll be happy). Somehow I don't think we'll be hearing "Invisible" much on tour, it really seems like a "trial balloon"...B did say it was there to remind people that they still exist.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:15:09 PM by mstevensmcs »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2014, 01:14:06 PM »
It's okay, but where are the riffs? Few and far between in that last decade or so.  All the classic U2 that they will be remembered for a long time from now had a riff: The Fly, Vertigo, New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow, Streets, etc.  I can't tell you what this band has meant to my life, but I think I'm willing to admit that they just don't do it for me anymore, and haven't for years.  On the other hand, I'll admit that I've always liked U2 for things that are outdated now, like angry, aggressive songs. They haven't wanted to be that band for a long, long, time. I keep hoping for something as in your face as "Bullet the Blue Sky", but it ain't gonna happen. Rock bands are out of favor. And the rock band I loved is gone.  Songs used to begin like "The Fly", and now instead we get pretty little keyboard bells in the intros to several songs, and tepid electronic drums. Jesus, I need to listed to "Like a Song" just to cleanse my pallet. 
While "Invisible" is not a bad song, for me it carries about as much aggressive, exciting bombast as Beyonce, which is what the band wants, but obviously not my thing. I think the quest to stay relevant now feels to me like that guy at the bar in his early 50's with his shirt open and the chains around his neck, trying to impress the ladies. Everyone thinks he's sad, but we let U2 get away with it. 

Please don't take this too serious, it is just a post from an aging musician longing for something long gone. The world has moved on, and so has U2.  I just don't think it's for me anymore, and that's okay. just not my thing.

A very good post. A lot of people will disagree with what you wrote but I think you hit the nail on the head for a lot of long time fans. Invisible is a good song, but where is the rock n roll? They used to compare songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet the Blue Sky to the Who or the Clash, but like you said Invisible is about as aggressive and exciting as a Beyoncé song. While Invisible has it's place I just hope there is some more "rock" on the new album.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »

A very good post. A lot of people will disagree with what you wrote but I think you hit the nail on the head for a lot of long time fans. Invisible is a good song, but where is the rock n roll? They used to compare songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet the Blue Sky to the Who or the Clash, but like you said Invisible is about as aggressive and exciting as a Beyoncé song. While Invisible has it's place I just hope there is some more "rock" on the new album.

In their time all those bands were contemporaries and were getting radio play. They don't get that anymore. The landscape has shifted. U2 shifts with it.

LIVE they are still that band. We'll be fine, fans. It's all gonna be all right.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »

As a fellow musician, I know how you feel. It does seem as if Edge has become less "riff-centric" since "Pop"-and they may have altered the way they write together since then, in that Edge doesn't bring in as many riffs to kick things off. I just saw "It may Get Loud" last night, Edge came up with some nice aggressive guitar in the jam with Page and Black....hard to know what's causing it, maybe they're tired of arguing?

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »

In their time all those bands were contemporaries and were getting radio play. They don't get that anymore. The landscape has shifted. U2 shifts with it.

LIVE they are still that band. We'll be fine, fans. It's all gonna be all right.

And if it's not they'll put on an amazing stage show and hide behind it.

U2 have got to be the reason people go to their concerts and not for the 'show'.

Zoo Tv and Pop had the 'show', but also had the 'songs' to back it up.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »

Never has the lead single ever really defined all of the music of said album, so keep that in mind and all. I'm sure there will be a bunch of great rock moments on the new album, after all, they are still a rock band at heart.

It wasn't that along ago we got some great riffs from them. The last album had Breathe, NLOTH, Magnificent, heck even Boots had a nice riff for the song it was.

I can understand why the generation you're a part of is still hesitant of electronic influences like the drum sounds Larry uses for the song, or the synth melody which dominates and does throughout. Its been a massive slow change in the music industry for the past few decades, and its become more prominent than ever. Sadly though, we'll never really hear a simple guitar, bass and drums song climb the charts anymore. The general public is looking for those electronic sounds, hence the dominance in the mainstream culture. Sometimes you'll get some rock up there, but the last rock song to reach those heights was Radioactive by Imagine Dragons, which is more electronic than rock. It was one of the reasons I never did get sick of Get Lucky by Daft Punk. Okay so it wasn't exactly a "rock" song, but it was a great riff by Nile Rodgers paired with a solid drumbeat and bass line, with Pharrell giving some feel good vocals. It felt nice to have a more organic sounding song up there.

The only thing I question is how Invisible compares to Beyonce. They are two completely different genres, and two completely different performers, with two completely different images. I guess the one parallel I see is the desire to get their music into the mainstream audience.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »

And if it's not they'll put on an amazing stage show and hide behind it.

U2 have got to be the reason people go to their concerts and not for the 'show'.

Zoo Tv and Pop had the 'show', but also had the 'songs' to back it up.

Oh, you mean like it is for Muse, Coldplay, Nine Inch Nails, etc.

I didn't mean it was for the show. I mean I love them LIVE best. They can't really be judged fully until one hears them live and not on a CD, DVD, Bluray, laserdisc, etc.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
Rubbish

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »