Poll

What do you think of Invisible?

Superb
Good
Average
Poor
Rubbish

Author Topic: Mixed Emotions About Invisible  (Read 13128 times)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Re: Mixed Emotions About Invisible
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2014, 03:50:08 PM »
Yeah I don't get how people can like OL more than I....IV....Invisible......now I get it....

IT'S BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MAKE AN ACRONYM OUT OF IT!!!!!

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »
Ordinary Love is sung with passion, I dig its roomy scaled-back production, and love the simple but pretty solo. It also has one of their best choruses ever.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have to admit, first of all, that I've not been able to read all the posts in this topic.  However, from what I have read here, and elsewhere, my first observation is: haters gonna hate.

There does seem to be a lot of negativity on this forum.  It strikes me that there are some here who are going to be overly negative about whatever U2 release.  I seem to recall reading, variously, dire predictions that Bono would be singing "In-vis-a-ble" like "Mag-ni-fi-cent" (for some reason, they don't like this); that 'Invisible' would sound like everything else U2 have done recently; that they'd wish U2 would produce something different, unlike their previous offerings; and that everything they've done recently has been sub-standard (including 'No Line on the Horizon' - although the album did offer something experimental, it wasn't in the incredibly particular way that they seemed to want).  And I have no doubt that at least one or two of them will react  negatively to this post, claiming that they have the right to express their negativity.

I guess they do.  But it's getting a bit boring, isn't it?  If you don't like U2, why visit a forum dedicated to them?  Surely you don't think that the band are poring over your every whine, and going back and rewriting their album just to please you?  I rather hope not.

As Matt has written elsewhere, this offering combines enough of the non-standard U2 sound with the usual U2 sound to sound interesting.  To me, that is.  I guess that, again, it's not experimental enough for the haters.  The lyric sounds sufficiently personal and heart-wrenching to engage me.  I guess it's just trite to the haters?  I like the Edge's contribution (that is, the repeated eighth notes, and chiming 1sts and 5ths.  I noted an early hater's post that he couldn't even detect the Edge in the mix.  I guess that he was hearing what he wanted to hear).  And, as bassist, I like that low end rumble.  Even if it is sequenced.  And finally, for those who say that this early indication means that they're going to hate the album: I bet that the version of 'Invisible' that is on the album is going to be rather different to this version.  And I bet you'll hate that version, too.

So, there we go.  That's my opinion.  For all you haters: bring it on.  Or, even better, do what you've been promising: stop listening to U2, stop posting on here, and go and do something less boring, instead.  Boring to us, that is.

I, for one, would request that you stop charging people with "hate."

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
The situation was completely flipped a few months ago when OL came out. Look around, there are more people on here who love Invisible than OL here. Now when a few people express that they don't like Invisible, we become the haters?! Whatever.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2014, 04:36:28 PM »
The situation was completely flipped a few months ago when OL came out. Look around, there are more people on here who love Invisible than OL here. Now when a few people express that they don't like Invisible, we become the haters?! Whatever.

It's especially annoying coming from someone who's only posted like ten times. Online forum protocol dictates that you wrack up at least 20 posts before you start insulting everyone you disagree with.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »

It's especially annoying coming from someone who's only posted like ten times. Online forum protocol dictates that you wrack up at least 20 posts before you start insulting everyone you disagree with.

Agreed.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2014, 05:54:35 PM »
I suspect that (With many exceptions, of course) in general it is people who dislike the song who only see everyone else who dislikes it being called a 'hater' , and people who like the song who see everyone else who likes it being called a 'sheep' or whatever. I think most of us can agree both of those are silly labels. Yes, there are some people who appear to others to go out of their way to like everything U2 do now, and some people who appear to others to go out of their way to hate everything they do now (It is of course another story which group is larger but I don't think there's a big difference) but the overwhelming majority hold their opinions quite sincerely.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »
I suspect that (With many exceptions, of course) in general it is people who dislike the song who only see everyone else who dislikes it being called a 'hater' , and people who like the song who see everyone else who likes it being called a 'sheep' or whatever. I think most of us can agree both of those are silly labels. Yes, there are some people who appear to others to go out of their way to like everything U2 do now, and some people who appear to others to go out of their way to hate everything they do now (It is of course another story which group is larger but I don't think there's a big difference) but the overwhelming majority hold their opinions quite sincerely.

Hear, hear.

PS - I like Electrical Storm. Typecast me now....

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2014, 06:53:57 PM »
I have to admit, first of all, that I've not been able to read all the posts in this topic.  However, from what I have read here, and elsewhere, my first observation is: haters gonna hate.

There does seem to be a lot of negativity on this forum.  It strikes me that there are some here who are going to be overly negative about whatever U2 release.  I seem to recall reading, variously, dire predictions that Bono would be singing "In-vis-a-ble" like "Mag-ni-fi-cent" (for some reason, they don't like this); that 'Invisible' would sound like everything else U2 have done recently; that they'd wish U2 would produce something different, unlike their previous offerings; and that everything they've done recently has been sub-standard (including 'No Line on the Horizon' - although the album did offer something experimental, it wasn't in the incredibly particular way that they seemed to want).  And I have no doubt that at least one or two of them will react  negatively to this post, claiming that they have the right to express their negativity.

I guess they do.  But it's getting a bit boring, isn't it?  If you don't like U2, why visit a forum dedicated to them?  Surely you don't think that the band are poring over your every whine, and going back and rewriting their album just to please you?  I rather hope not.

As Matt has written elsewhere, this offering combines enough of the non-standard U2 sound with the usual U2 sound to sound interesting.  To me, that is.  I guess that, again, it's not experimental enough for the haters.  The lyric sounds sufficiently personal and heart-wrenching to engage me.  I guess it's just trite to the haters?  I like the Edge's contribution (that is, the repeated eighth notes, and chiming 1sts and 5ths.  I noted an early hater's post that he couldn't even detect the Edge in the mix.  I guess that he was hearing what he wanted to hear).  And, as bassist, I like that low end rumble.  Even if it is sequenced.  And finally, for those who say that this early indication means that they're going to hate the album: I bet that the version of 'Invisible' that is on the album is going to be rather different to this version.  And I bet you'll hate that version, too.

So, there we go.  That's my opinion.  For all you haters: bring it on.  Or, even better, do what you've been promising: stop listening to U2, stop posting on here, and go and do something less boring, instead.  Boring to us, that is.

People don't like confrontation on here. They vigorously defend their right to defend their negativity. (They must be fans of Negtivland.) Attacking them will only grow weary after time. You will find like me, that they sadly do dominate the tone of this forum, and have led me to only be an infrequent interloper trying to stay on top of the news, but rarely bothering to interact on here, because it is very unrewarding. It's just not worth it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:55:51 PM by Siberian Tiger »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2014, 02:35:50 AM »

Hear, hear.

PS - I like Electrical Storm. Typecast me now....

Do you dress in clothes with neutral colours and like scrambled eggs for breakfast?

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2014, 02:47:05 AM »
Overall, the song does seem to be getting positive reactions, being played on radio, tons of downloads. U2 also won Globes and Oscar nominated for OL, so maybe they will feel confident that their new material does stack up and helps them close off this album asap. If Invisible is a market test for a bit of a direction shift, then it seems to have passed. Time to get on with it lads. As Bono said in From The Sky Down - eventually you have to show your willy. Which means, dont keep it "invisible".

Offline sierrra

• Wanderer
  • Throw a rock in the air, you hit someone quilty.
« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2014, 03:38:57 AM »
They do sound like U2. What do you expect them to sound?

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »

I suggest you refer to the forum rules around how you engage with people in and around the forum.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2014, 08:28:02 AM »
This song is b-side quality at best. I'm not sure Joy Division is a good sound for U2 and I sure as hell don't want to be reminded of The Killers or some radio friendly generic current pop act. I am certainly up for more electronic elements. I like the bass in the beginning and the frozen days, frozen ways, melted snow bit into the chorus, there's almost a real moment. Edge's guitar effect lick bugs me to no end and sounds damn cheesy. The end guitar, what is that? If U2 wants to become another band how about David Bowie, maybe update that a bit with some Duran Duran. I would like to hear something new, interesting and fresh sounding from U2, but this and Ordinary Love are going on a playlist of b-sides and outtakes from the last 3 albums where they will fit in perfectly. This is a version of U2 we have heard before. Give me Dirty Day(Junk Day), Salome(Zooromancer), Happiness Is A Warm Gun(The Gun), Night And Day, its a great place to be.

I totally get not digging the track--I'm of two minds on it, myself, though I find myself increasingly enjoying it.  But you lost me at the tracks you want them to sound like, when three of the four are remixes.

Also, I've seen Joy Division referenced a few times when discussing the new track--and I don't hear that at ALL.

Offline Candysroom

• Stateless
  • Aged U2, Bruce & Bowie fan. Prone to Gavin Friday.
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
I like the riff- based U2 and as a lady I don't mind the open-necked shirts. What I do treasure most about U2 is the joy and wonder expressed in song form.That has been in both of the new songs and that makes me hopeful for what's coming next.