Poll

What do you think of Invisible?

Superb
Good
Average
Poor
Rubbish

Author Topic: Mixed Emotions About Invisible  (Read 13406 times)

smee

Re: Mixed Emotions About Invisible
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2014, 11:04:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
like OAP said, I'm a happy U2 fan today ;D

PLEASE let the album sound like this.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

F**k.....NO!!!......if it does...it will be the first u2 album i have no interest in owning, in 33 yrs of devotion to the band!

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »
Average.

Absolutely nothing new or exciting in the song, It would fit in well on all of U2's very average last three albums.

Its not bad.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »
I agree that it sounds reminiscent of The Killers at times, but it's also got a natural flow to it. It's the sound of U2 incorporating new sounds whilst being themselves. As others have said, albums like AB & Pop took inspiration from other sounds as well. U2 have only ever been experimental within the realm of established popular music genres.

The important thing for me is - does the song inspire, and do the band sound on form? For me, they undoubtedly do. I voted "good", because I think the ending is slightly lacking. Great song melodically.

Offline Mike_e_boy1

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
Ok so U2 promised and come back sounding average. Better than the banal ordinary love but not a patch on Mercy.  And what happened to the end of the song.... A not bad b side but hardly the crest of an oncoming wave.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
excited to hear new music out of the band, but I am not excited about this song yet.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 11:17:58 AM »
Wow! Guitar much more present now that the right speaker is fixed.  ;)

I can't decide if Edge's guitar is more Battle Born or Mylo Xyloto.

zootv

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
Sounds like Ordinary Love to me.
+ 1. My first impression is that its an average song coming from a band that is also approaching average.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »
Just had 2 listens on the ipod. . . It does not quite go where it promises to. . A better ending would help. . Bono's singing is decent in the main - a very ropey 'them' near the end though!

Is it the sound of 'the worlds greatest rock and roll band' at the very top of their game? No.

Is it a song that is a jaw dropping belter with something that makes it sound epic? No.

Its a decent song that i feel could be better for a bit more 'power' and as i say a better ending.

It's average for me - just missing good for being a bit lightweight and that ending which had they turned into a powerful explosive coda would have pushed it into good territory for me.

It almost sounds restrained/unfinished - which may be the edit just curtailing it.

It just falls short of lift off and needs a bit more fire.

Not terrible, not great - just average.... And the more i hear the more it reminds me of the killers.

Interestingly the next song on my ipod was arcade fires wake up - which eclipses invisible totally.

6.5/10
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:23:00 AM by an tha »

smee

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »

A sad fall from grace for a once superb band. hows about sounding like u2, instead of bland sounding modern day crappy bands. i was soooo hoping to be blown away by the new song. Amazing how much a poor u2 song can bring down your day

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »
One thing I notice is how the first 10-20 seconds do not match the rest of the song at all.

It's like the beginning of Magnificent in a way, which doesn't really match the song at all.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »

A sad fall from grace for a once superb band. hows about sounding like u2, instead of bland sounding modern day crappy bands. i was soooo hoping to be blown away by the new song. Amazing how much a poor u2 song can bring down your day

I like both bands and have seen both live and they aren't crappy.

They just need to get their balls sorted out (all ways inferred). The making of version sounds better and I hope more raw/rock. Either way, they look great and Bono sounds great. We are spoiled by all their greatness and they are trying to go mainstream, particularly with this song I'd think. For what they want it to do, I think it's the right sound.

Midnight - I'd like more of that beginning and less of the slide buzzy whatever it is guitar sound. It is still bothering me.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »

They just need to get their balls sorted out (all ways inferred). The making of version sounds better and I hope more raw/rock. Either way, they look great and Bono sounds great. We are spoiled by all their greatness and they are trying to go mainstream, particularly with this song I'd think. For what they want it to do, I think it's the right sound.

Interesting that often the unfinished/work in progress versions of u2 songs are often 'heavier' 'rawer' than what gets released.

I do wonder if they over polish/make poppier things out of a fear of not making radio or being liked by audience

NLOTH 2 being a good example compared to the one on the album

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »

Interesting that often the unfinished/work in progress versions of u2 songs are often 'heavier' 'rawer' than what gets released.

I do wonder if they over polish/make poppier things out of a fear of not making radio or being liked by audience

NLOTH 2 being a good example compared to the one on the album

This. Give me the boys raw, like my tuna.  ;)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »
I don't know...after one listen I'm still up in the air on it. It did keep me from rolling my eyes or spewing vitriol. I didn't hear anything that Larry or Adam could have been doing, but I'll take it from the thread that they're just buried in the mix. My biggest complaint is probably Bono's singing--lazy vocals, and more generic uplifting stuff. Hm. We'll see how I feel after a few more listens.

Offline Mike_e_boy1

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
Ok repeat listening it does grow. Encouraging then but... Do you remember the shock of The Fly or Discotech? Right back to New Years Day.  New U2 song was an event... You didn't know what to expect... That was a long time ago.... Now this sounds like you expect it too...and it sounds like the bands U2 used to influence... Golden days are over... Fine... There's plenty strong exciting new bands out that are relevant... This is ok... Just cut back on the arrogance and bragging and enjoy for what is!